6 spd.Manual vs. on the SRT-8 Dodge Challenger

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by stingray, Feb 23, 2012.

1. stingray

stingray stingray

I have never had a car this heavy 4,100+ lbs. I have heard that due to weight your costs and maintenance are increased since the car weighs more.
    If you get the manual version will that be more reliable than the auto trans SRT-8? Does this mean that the brakes will last longer in the 6 spd. manual as vs. automatic transmission?

2. Speedy

Speedy Blown by Speedlogix

Well, a heavier car will suck up more gas, put more strain on the suspension and drivetrain.
    Manual or auto? Well, that is your choise, I´d prefere a manual in a Challenger or (if they would be so kind to produce it) the Charger.
    I do drive a Magnum and the auto is fine in that as it is by no means a sportscar, even though its fairly fast!
    You can control your powerslides and drifting addictions more precise with a manual, good enough reason to shift yourself.

Fredrik:ilovesrtc:

3. stingray

stingray stingray

I believe the brakes will last longer with a 6 spd manual but the weight will takes it toll on everything else.:p
    Does the heavyness of the car contribute to a comfortable ride? or is it the longer wheel base?

4. master_1011

master_1011 The Man.

The heavy car is because of American safety standards. Which is cool with me, of course. Better safe then sorry. Anywhoo....

Even the auto downshifts during braking and uses engine drag very effectively to slow down to reduce wear on the brakes. The SRT has the big ol' Brembos too.

As far as the rest, Dodge has figured out how to get a tank rolling....quickly. For being such a big car, it is very light on its feet. All the suspension parts are designed to hold the weight of the car and *should* outlast the car itself. Besides, 4100 lbs isn't all that much. The Mustangs and Camaros weigh in over 3600 pounds. That's not too far off. I know 500 pounds sounds like a lot, but in the car world, it's not that big. Hell, my Titan weighs in over 6K. And it's not a very big truck.

5. stingray

stingray stingray

WEll at least it is more comfortable riding that the other two cars over these less than decent roads in need of repair.

6. stingray

stingray stingray

Forgot to mention when I did test drive the SRT-8 it didn't seem that big or heavy. But the ride is not choppy or bumpy and it feels good to have all of that metal as protection around you when you have incompetent people out there who don't know how to drive.

7. stingray

stingray stingray

Doesn't that extra weight contribute to a comfortable ride over Mustang?

8. StevoSRT

StevoSRT Moderator

No the IRS contributes to the ride quality, which for "SRT's" is actually pretty good if you dont have some hard core race setup.

As for how much maintenance will cost and the life of various components, I would imagine that depends on how you drive :shifty:

9. stingray

stingray stingray

I drive easy. The last tires I went 41,000 miles on those Goodyear Runflats before I had to replace the fronts. The rears were still good but I decided to change all 4 at the same time. So I can make a product last if there is nothing wrong with it.

That Solid rear end axle on the Fox body Mustang doesn't cut it no more on these beat up roads. I then wonder will the Challenger SRT-8 will ride more comfortable than a Corvette with F-55 suspension which is what I have. The ride in Corvette is ok but if I can do better on these beat up roads.:stars:
    Mustang Fox Body:help: if its not a perfect smooth road.

10. stingray

stingray stingray

Is the SXT the most comfortable riding of all 3 Challenger models?