Check engine!

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Electronic Modifications' started by Speedy, Jul 11, 2010.

1. Dookie

Dookie Foe twenny sics

When the CEL comes on, does it chime? Are you doing something specific when it happens? Are their any symptoms of something wrong? How does the car feel? Do you think heat may be playing a role?
    Sounds like an electrical gremlin of some sort...like a connector that isn't fully seated or a spade in a connector slightly pulled away from it's position and makes good contact sometimes and sometimes not.
    Very strange that their isn't any codes though...

2. Speedy

Speedy Blown by Speedlogix

You might be on to something here, I break a really bad sweat after pushing the car just a few hundred yards...
    As Ulrica is mainly driving the car and I´m stuck with the diesel-beater (and my bike, so that makes up for it...) I´m not sure, but yes, when it first goes on it chimes, but not when I restart it. I have felt it going into some kind of limpmode, sometimes it changes gears really rough, and once it wouldn´t rev over 3.000 and then I erased the code and started this thread.

Fredrik:stars:

3. Dookie

Dookie Foe twenny sics

At your power level, your tranny should be okay, at least check fluid level and smell it. Could be the converter going out....hell, it could be a million things...a code sure would help diagnosis this down to something specific...

Last edited: Jul 19, 2010
  4. Speedy

Yeah, will check that tomorrow, its 22.00 here now so I´m calling it a night.

Fredrik:ronlove:

5. Quick

Quick Mgmt. - I can't help you

Fly me over there, I'll look at it for you. ...and maybe you could set me up for dinner with Elin?

6. Speedy

Dave, what Elin? Do you mean Tigers X? She actually lives in the arcepellago not far from where I live, guess about 40 min boatride...
    But there is another Elin that I actually KNOW, younger and at least just as good looking, broke as a bat though so you´ll have to bring your own money...:sorry:
    My bet is actually with the tranny, I would not be surprised if the level is to low, will go by a shop tomorrow and see what can be done, but thats local, I don´t have time to go into Stockholm tomorrow, way to much going on.
    Now watching "Lethal weapon 2", at least a good laugh, today has been hangoverday after 2 days of hard partying.
    Damn you guys are good!:ronlove:

Fredrik:grin:

7. Dookie

Dookie Foe twenny sics

LOL...Party like tomorrow ain't neva coming.

Why would you bet the tranny fluid is low? Leak?

8. Speedy

Haven´t been under the car... So there might be a leak, the light came on when I moved the car this evening, took her out and she´s in limp mode, will not rev over 2.750, stops, do the key dance and guess what, NO FUGGIN CODE!!!
    Still in limp mode, stops, erase the non existing troublecode and reset tranny TCM. Now works brilliantly but have booked change of trannyfluid during next week, won´t use the car much as bricklaying starts tomorrow and will keep me da*n busy way into next week...
    I remember some cars suffering from leaks at the rear of the tranny, right?

Fredrik:future:

9. Dookie

Dookie Foe twenny sics

Not in the rear, but yes, it is a common problem and a TSB for an o-ring leak on passenger side IIRC. Didn't do mine myself, took it in. If yours hasn't been done, that could very well be your issue. But I would think if you leaked out that much fluid to have your tranny go into limp, you would have noticed it before it caused it. It would probably take a quart or more to leak out to cause this.
    Good luck with the stones!

10. Speedy

I think I now know when the light goes on, after a nut start!
    Standing still and just flooring it, it lights up both rears, hit the limiter a few times and hits second, bouncing of the limiter a few times and hits third, spins both rears for about 3 seconds then grips and goes down to second again. The light doesn´t come on at once but if I stop and turn it off it lights up "check engine" when I start it back up again.
    Still no troublecode though...

Fredrik:help:

11. 1fastsedan

1fastsedan Destroyer of Warranties

Don't bounce off of the limiter. The transmission is going into limp mode to protect itself.

12. 1bad4dr

1bad4dr Mr. Meany

Yup.

Tuner likely increased your shift points and rev limiter?

Find out from your tuner where the shift points and rev limiter are.

IMO, they should STAY at OEM specs. Mine is. :)

13. Speedy

The limiter is at 6.200 to 6.300 like standard unless the taco is recalibrated with the tune, standard Vortech.
    Ok, stay off the limiter, makes smoking starts much harder...:crying:
    Had a really nice trip last night though, went up to Stockholm 45 miles and took the back roads I normally use when on the bike, she gets slightly out of shape over crests and bumps but its a heavy car, maybe a bit more returndampening would help, but when resonably smooth its a laugh!
    90 mph powersliding is better than sex!
    Took the highway home late at night, wet all the way and thats kind of unsetterling when the ESP doesn´t work anymore so that kept the speed down, a bit, cruising at 110 mph and a few boosts, didn´t see more than 160 as I was exiting, but on the other hand our local heroes (ie police) was standing on the exit so it was a good thing to exit...:grin:
    Filled her up and got about 10 MPG... So the way I see it, with the foot down I get about 5 MPG, muuuuuahahahaha.

Fredrik:ilovesrtc:

14. Speedy

Missed the appointment for the trannyfluid change, BUT, found a small puddle of warm trannyfluid on my driveway, time booked for tomorrow, going on a long 800 mile trip for the weekend and don´t want to be stranded with a broken tranny...
    Will change the o-ring and tranny fluid and filter, lets see what that makes.

Fredrik:)

15. Speedy

Things are clearing up!
    Went to a shop to get the trannyfluid changed with the filter and also get the o-ring replaced.
    All good and well, balanced the tires as well and had a nice drive home.
    Stopped for fuel about halfway and guess what, da-ding, the bloody code comes up again!
    I erase the code and drive home, take two friends out for a spin when they came over for dinner, no code.
    Yesterday we went on a weeklong trip in the south of Sweden but as I started her up after packing everything including the kids the light came on, and tranny in limpmode, stuck in first and won´t rev over 2.750...
    I blew a fuse or two, sat down and drove her for 50 miles in first at 35 mph straight to the shop.
    Turns out the solenoid for the first gear locks every now and then, just erase the code and its good to go.
    Will have to change the solenoid though, but now I know what it is!
    Tomas, the mecanic, has never seen this before and hes been around these cars since they came out.
    Anyway, nice 500 miles covered in 2 days, highwaycruising at 100 - 105 gets me to about 15 MPG witch is fine considering the massive amounts of overtakingmanuvers when on two lane roads.
    The car is magnificent on trips like this!

Fredrik:ronlove:

16. Speedy

The light comes on like every 5th startup, doesn´t lock in first more than once out of three, wonder if there is anything else going on?
    The "bridge" with the solenoids will be covered by insurance but but but...
    Just hope its nothing else!
    Anyway, driving this thing in Sweden has a hypnotical effect on pepole, the ones that don´t know a thing about cars are intimidated, the ones that do lifts their eyebrows when they see the SRT badge and when they hear the blower they smile like hell...
    Cleaned the wheels and vaccumed the floormats tonight accompanyed by a few beers, life could be worse...:whistle:

Fredrik:pizza: