Clean grease/soot smudge from headliner?

Discussion in 'Interior' started by Quick, Apr 24, 2008.

1. StevoSRT

StevoSRT Moderator

luckily its only a small and light spot right at the top of the gauge pod

2. LegMaker

LegMaker LMI - LegMakerIntakes

then it shoudl be easy...... i had MAJOR oily finger prints on my headliner all over it after it was removed and replaced after a sunroof issue.

3. StevoSRT

StevoSRT Moderator

yeah...i had it at the dealership when i was installing the gauges...

me and my buddy whos the sales manager did the HID's and the Gauges...and when we were putting the pod in i think one of us just caught the liner a little bit

4. LegMaker

one of the standard happenings whenever working on the inside AND outside of the car simultaneously!!! lol

5. Quick

Quick Mgmt. - I can't help you

Great... now you tell me. I just tried the BC stuff (with vigorous scrubbing with the included brush) about an hour ago. It didn't work. Maybe it worked some but the main part of the spot is there. It worked pretty good on the "SRT8" embroidery on the floor mats though.

It didn't notice it tearing anything up or looking like it loosened the fabric or rubbed off any of it. I'll have to check again tomorrow. I might have spread it a little and left a larger slightly darkened area... I figured that just might be 'cause it's still damp. hoping.

Spot Shot? Who makes that?

6. markus

markus Silver Supporting Members

Quick,
    Sorry my suggestion didn't work for you. It worked for me when removing the grime left on the headliner from mechanics and their skanky mechanic hands. I apologize if you went out and spent the money on it and it didnt work.

7. OMSRT8

OMSRT8 Full Access Member

Believe it or not, Spot Shot is acutally made by WD40. I can tell you that it works like a miracle in the house, like on a carpet stain. I have never used it on a headliner. I think that the method that Chris describes is the way to go. Even if it does not work, I don't think that method would make things any worse.

8. Quick

No problem Markus, it worked great on the embroidered "SRT8" on the floor mats. That was worth the price (a whopping $4.19) alone.

9. Quick

I'll try that next. I don't think my headliner self destructed at all with the spray foam and scrubbing (will be checking it again in a while). I'm thinking maybe Chris has a different headliner?

10. markus

markus Silver Supporting Members

did you try scrubbing it from different angles? i had to scrub mine from different angles, different direction of stroke (lol)

11. Quick

Yep, thought of that. The headliner is sort of textured so I tried sideways and circular. up and down not really possible due to location and contour.

12. LegMaker

dave - different headliner i doubt, but i never scrubbed my current car when getting out spots. the damage to a headliner from scrubbing occurred in one of my bmw's...... but the material is not that much different, so when it came time to clean the charger, i did not want to take a chance.

the spot shot is some amazing stuff!!! patience and a clean terry cloth towel, blot, and repeat.....

you can get spot shot anywhere they sell household carpet cleaning stuff. about 3.50 a can!!!

13. marieC

marieC New Member

In an automobile, the headliner could be a difficult problem, specifically when there is a stain or unpleasant smell. Washing a headliner properly can help lengthen its life by years, perhaps decades. Article resource: How to clean your car headliner. When you clean your car, you must not forget to clean the headliner. It is good to maintain it clean to always look like new. It is susceptible to getting dirty and due to the delicate nature of the headliner material, cleaning needs to be done carefully.

14. ojmcneill

ojmcneill New Member

Use the Mr Clean bar. You know they come in twos in a box and look like a little white sponge. Great deal. Worked on my headliner and A pillar after I had some work done and the guy grabbed it with his dirty hands. I was furious but the Mr. Clean bar thing took it right out. Can't even tell where it was. I thought it was ruined. Best product ever for getting stuff like that out. Magic eraser I think is what its called. It's the bomb though