Coilovers vs Strut/Spring combo

Discussion in 'Wheels, Tires, Suspensions & Brakes' started by Maximus from the 915, Sep 17, 2008.

1. Maximus from the 915

Maximus from the 915 New Member

I was wondering what are the advantages of having coilovers? I know you can change the setting to softer and harder. But what exactly does that mean? Are they really that much better than having struts and springs? Also, do lowering springs make your ride a lot bumpier? Thanks for any info

2. Cheatek

Cheatek SRT once, SRT always

Good questions. Not to confuse you any more but ... us 8s have coilovers in the front but seperate springs/shocks in the rear, go figure. I have NO idea why, lol!! I know you're asking about 4s but in my experience with a lot of different cars over the years yes, lowering springs in general will make the ride bumpier. Eibach's progressive rate springs have always worked well for me as they keep as close to stock ride quality as I've ever seen. And NEVER cut stock springs, that's a big mistake both handling wise and ride wise (ever see a lowered car bounce really bad driving down the road ... they cut the springs).

3. Maximus from the 915

Word. I had heard about not cutting the springs. So, you're saying the Eibach progressive springs will lower the car but still keep a fairly decent ride? The reason I ask is because I have to replace my struts. Not sure about the rear ones, but I know for sure I have to replact the fronts. I figure might as well just do them all at the same time. I don't have the money to buy coilovers so I'm just going to replace the struts for now. I would like to lower my car, but don't think I'd do so if it means sacrificing my ride.
    Would it be better to replace the struts now and my some Eibachs later to lower it? Or just save up and buy coilovers? Or just replace the struts and forget about lowering the car?

4. nevinsrt

nevinsrt Getaway driver for hire

a very good question.

spring will of course lower the car but because of the lower stance will tend to bottom out when compressed on a speed impact on a speed bump, pothole, or uneven road surfaces, yes springs are cheaper but they tend to wear on the stock struts faster and cause them to give out. I my self have blown 4 front struts with the type of driving i do.

Coilovers are a combo of lowering spring and an upgraded strut, have the ability to raise and lower the car and since its one contained unit its easier to install then lowering sprigs but cost more. an upgraded damping inside the strut will give you better ride comfort at any ride height.

the freedom to have an adjustable system is great for people in areas who get snow or lots of rain or just dont want a droppd car all the time and the best suspention for race days.

Coilovers are way better then springs. its just alot of people dont have the funds to get them or dont want to have to deal with tuning the suspention.

there are may types of spring with different spring rates.
    a lower spring rate means a softer ride. just do some reasurch before you buy some springs.

but i would fix the struts first and if you can save up then get some coilovers.

but if you would like there is aways the option of getting struts with built in damping adjustments, Tokicos are a good strut, they come on ACRs.
    just pick up a set and add them to some springs and you have an adjustalbe suspention.

5. Maximus from the 915

Wow! That's a lot of info!

6. psi chick

psi chick New Member

co's ftw. you can't even begin to compare the ride quality of a spring/strut combo to a full coilover.

7. Maximus from the 915

I don't plan on going autocrossing or doing much racing. Just looking for a comfortable ride. Wouldn't mind having the more aggressive look of a lowered car, but I don't want to sacrifice ride quality.

8. Cheatek

Cheatek SRT once, SRT always

I'll let the 4 guys answer this since I'm not familiar with the cars or the market. I see Nev posted but hopefully some more guys will to help you out!

9. psi chick

psi chick New Member

you really only then have two options. coilovers or an adjustable shock on the stock springs. once you put in aftermarket springs you are definetly sacrificing ride quality for stance. if you're not looking to lower the car then the adjustable shocks would be a better choice.

i do however think that lowering a nsrt should be something that everyone should consider. the back ends of these cars are notorious for sliding out and lowering the car to a more even stance definetly helps with that issue.

10. turbosocks

turbosocks srt n00b

i got sportline springs, and the ride quality is kinda harsh, especially on shitty ABQ roads. on a semi smooth road, its not bad, and on curves its great.

i am un-decided on upgrading to the illuminas with my sportlines, and seeing how the ride is, or getting a set of semi cheap NEX coilovers..

from what i have heard with NEX, at least the SS series, you can't adjut dampening but can order them in SS1-which is better than stock SS2-which is more of street/track handling and SS3-which is for track use. they are full height adjustable, and pretty good quality. they are around 700$, so they are pretty affordable, even more affordable than a spring/adjustable strut combo.

the illuminas are only 5-way adjustable, and im not sure how dramatic the adjutments are, only reason i may opt for that is that i already have the springs, and it will be cheaper than getting the NEX and hoping i can sell my springs.

the NEX are supposed to be adjustable from stock height to 4" lower.

11. nevinsrt

nevinsrt Getaway driver for hire

LOL even lowered, bushing, swaybars, strutbars, and cambered my rear end still comes out

12. StillANeon

StillANeon Full Access Member

Well I believe the Coilover setup is the best route to go. You can spend upwards for $700 on a nice spring and strut package. I got my BC coilovers for $900 shipped to my door and ended up selling my old struts and springs for $250. Ride quality is not as good as stock but its not THAT bad. Only if you are on bumpy roads. My neon is my daily driver so around December I will raise the car up for the snow. Can't do that with reg. struts and springs, that was one of the main deciding factors. Plus it makes the Neon SRT-4 look 1000000000000x times better and gets rid of that ugly front and rear wheel gap.

13. loxmith

loxmith Recovering Post Whore...

I too spent $900 for the BC coilovers...if you are looking at $700 for spring strut combos or $900 for full coil-overs. Save the extra $200 and go for the c/o. The ride is a little rougher than stock, but not that bad at all.

14. psi chick

psi chick New Member

you might want to look into new tires then

15. loxmith

loxmith Recovering Post Whore...

HAHAHAHA...actually I think his problems are due mainly to his driving style. :bigwink:

16. psi chick

psi chick New Member

i have many friends that autox and road race on stock suspension and they don't have a problem with the ass coming out. they also though have upgraded rear tensioners and use high end tires. the tires seem to be the major factor.

i had a problem with the ass coming out when i was using proxy4's. i changed my tires and the problem went away.....

17. FallenAngelHIM

FallenAngelHIM racecar bunny

Tokico with lowering springs or C/O...decisions decisions.

18. StillANeon

StillANeon Full Access Member

Coilovers. Its that easy. Do it right the first time.

19. leepen

leepen New Member

I know people with both...coilovers FTMFW

20. Philth

Philth New Member

Ive had both and handling is night/day with the coilovers compared to a spring/strut combo.