Cold Air

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BADMOOD, Mar 2, 2011.

1. BADMOOD

BADMOOD New Member

Which one JLT carbon fiber OR Stack Performance "Bullet" Cold Air Intake. I know this an on going debate please give me some input or any other options. A vendors web site states the JLT is getting approx 19 hp gains which sounds great but alot for a cold air intake kit alone. I am also looking at the DiabloSport Predator and 180 t stat. What gains am I looking at for all three upgrades. Thanks for your input to a question that has been asked a 100000 times. I am upgrading an 07 Magnum SRT8

Last edited: Mar 2, 2011
  2. 1fastsedan

1fastsedan Destroyer of Warranties

Check out LMI. He's a vendor here. Top notch quality and performance.

3. Quick

Quick Mgmt. - I can't help you

20 to 40 hp?

The thing with the CAI is that the stock SRT8 air box flows really well. So with an aftermarket CAI you're mainly looking for the "cold" part. You're not going to get a really significant improvement there until you start pulling air from down in the fender well. PCM will start pulling timing with AITs somewhere above 90*? So little to no improvement if you're going down the road and engine bay temps are close to outside temps. CAIs look nice and they sound really nice. Gains? not so much over stock. Maybe 5hp (maybe 10hp if you hope really hard)?. :)

180* T-stat: This is more preventative. The PCM will start to pull timing with coolant temps somewhere over 190* - 200*. It's been so long that I've forgotten, but I think the stock t-stat is something like a 203*?. Anyway your low speed fans kick on about 210 and the high speeds around 220? Something like that. Basically, unless it's really cool outside and you're not in stop and go traffic, you're going to be losing some power. T-stat; 0 gains, but no loss that you would have otherwise.

Predator: Probably your very best bang for the buck performance mod. 20-40 hp. Best of all you can change a lot of other driveability type things.

4. Dookie

Dookie Foe twenny sics

I recently became a LMI guy...Went with a 4" fender mount and picked up about 15rwhp and 15rwtq. Not just peak, throughout the entire RPM of the pulls on a load bearing Dyno. Previous air intake was a Mopar 90 elbow, straight 4" aluminum pipe to stock air box.

I chose LMI, because of the quality of product, design, size of filter, quality of customer service, and lastly price. Chris (Owner of LMI) is a stand up, true blue car guy...you could do ALOT worse than going with LMI. Most (if not all) of the fastest LX's are running a LMI CAI.

If you are dead set on those two choice you mentioned. Stack bullet would be my choice. The JLT is a carbon fiber pattern tube...LMI is TRUE carbon fiber...

5. Quick

Quick Mgmt. - I can't help you

I think BADMOOD has a stock motor.

6. MOL

MOL SHOW & PERFORMANCE

X2 LMI intalkes rock.:grin:

7. Jr1

Jr1 New Member

I just put my LMI True CAI in and I can say it works very well and looks sweet! It's some work putting in but well worth it! My vote LMI!

8. SRT

SRT New Member

Besides the lmi being true fiber,is there really a difference compared to the sp bullet cai? I dont want to cut the body, and it seems like the opening is not much bigger than the stocker.