DIY: Tailgate Locking Latch Install

Discussion in 'How-To/Tech Database' started by Kevan, Jan 30, 2008.

1. Kevan

Kevan SRT-10 Owner

Here's a super-simple one:

TAILGATE LOCKING LATCH INSTALL
    (NOTE: the pictures of this install were taken with a Rumble Bee sporting a Rhino-lined bed. All technical info remains the same for the SRT-10 trucks. Props to Keith for use of his truck in the pics.)

Our trucks come with a non-locking handle on the tailgate. While this may work for some, a few of us like to keep our stuff secure. It also helps prevent entire tailgate theft!
    There are several locking handle makers out there, some with electronic latching. This one is a very basic, manual locking latch.

It should take us a little less than 10 minutes to complete the installation.

This one by Bully is a perfect match to the original latch in shape and color. It comes with (2) keys and this particular model has the key slot in the center of the handle (some have the key slot on the side). They can be found online at most aftermarket parts stores, and on popular auction sites. Price is about $20-30.

First, let's get our tools together:
    [​IMG]
    • Drill driver with 3/8" adapter
    • 1/4" socket wrench with 1/4" to 3/8" adapter (you can use a straight 3/8" socket wrench if you like)
    • T-30 torx bit (3/8")
    • 8mm nut driver

Lower the tailgate and remove the tailgate access panel using the T-30 Torx bit in the drill driver:
    [​IMG]
    Watch for the plastic washers under each screw. Don't let them run away on ya.

Remove the access panel and set it aside.

Inside you will see (2) 8mm nuts that attach the latch to the tailgate. Remove the two nuts:
    [​IMG]
    Keep one hand under the tailgate to catch the original latch as it will drop out when that second nut comes off.

Take out your new locking latch and insert it in place of the old one. The mounting bolts will go in the exact same place as the old ones did.
    The installation instructions that come with the unit are pretty good and say the same thing. :)

Re-attach the 8mm nuts and tighten hand-tight with your nut driver:
    [​IMG]

Place the access cover back on and start the cover screws by hand:
    [​IMG]
    Don't forget the washers!

Finish tightening the cover screws with the T-30 bit on the drill driver:
    [​IMG]

Using the 1/4" socket wrench and the T-30 bit, hand-tighten the cover screws:
    [​IMG]

That's it.
    Your tailgate now locks!
    [​IMG]

Enjoy!

©2007 Kevan J. Geier
    All Rights Reserved

Last edited: Oct 22, 2008
  2. Roz-SRT10

Roz-SRT10 I Wish You Were Beer

That's the shit Kev'. Any way to add an actuator and rob some power from the passenger side door lock and ditch the keys?

3. Kevan

Kevan SRT-10 Owner

4. Roz-SRT10

Roz-SRT10 I Wish You Were Beer

Yeah, I saw that one. Another great idea, but I don't really have any REAL need for it. I may do it if I ever do the the tailgate locker. I may as well do it since the panel will be off.

5. Quick

Quick Mgmt. - I can't help you

Hand tighten *after* the drill driver? I didn't see a breaker bar in the needed tool list.

6. Kevan

Kevan SRT-10 Owner

I should probably re-word that.
    "Use the drill driver to get the screws threaded, then finish by hand-tightening."
    Sorry.