Electric Cutouts - Wiring - How to????

Discussion in 'How-To/Tech Database' started by BOSChargerSRT, Sep 11, 2010.

1. BOSChargerSRT

BOSChargerSRT Full Access Member

Well I try searching and couldn't find a "how to" on running the wiring for DMH electric cutouts... Anyone know if there is a "how to" thread, step by step, pix, suggestions and do's and don'ts????? I've already read what little info is on here, but need more. I appreciate the assist!

Thanks! Jimmy

Last edited: Sep 11, 2010
  2. 1bad4dr

1bad4dr Mr. Meany

Unfortunately, Jimmy, there are no How To's on the cut outs.

Can't be all that difficult though. Should be straight forward with power, ground, and a toggle switch, right?

Don't the Cut outs come with any sort of installation instructions?

3. BOSChargerSRT

Ron, I got these somewhat used, comes with everything but directions. I ordered new mounting plate and have been searching without luck on wiring. I found a few info on people wiring to cig lighter, but Junior has stressed that it's not wise to run a higher fuse. So I'm trying to find another option. Ugh!!!!!

Thanks bro!

4. 1bad4dr

1bad4dr Mr. Meany

5. BOSChargerSRT

Can I run the 12v from the front fuse box? If so, then I'll figure it out and run an in-line 30amp fuse. Thanks!

6. 1bad4dr

1bad4dr Mr. Meany

Yup.

7. Bone

Bone Love maker, heart breaker

Just watch out for where the exhaust is dumping out to.....don't want it to melt any wires or even your frame. You will also need space for the electric motor housing on the side of it. Placement is actually the toughest part of the install. Any muffler shop should be able to do it.

8. Quick

Quick Mgmt. - I can't help you

Yikes! You could run a small arc welder on a 30amp fuse. I think the accessories and cigarette lighter are on a 20amp fuse. but like Ron said, just make sure you tap off a big enough circuit and then put an inline fuse. They have all kinds. You can get those in a little rubber sort of box with a watertight lid that are not much larger than the regular spade fuse you put in it.

9. BOSChargerSRT

Thanks for the reply fellas!!

10. BOSChargerSRT

I got the cutouts today, still waiting on new mounting plates from DMH and upgraded gasket from Modern Muscle. I should have the new mounting plate by Friday with they're gasket, which I will use untill MM gasket comes in, then I will swap.

Since the low pro cutouts are used I cleaned them thoroughly and tested them out and both are working great. Although I noticed that one cutout is slower than the other, not sure if it's an issu. Actually the movement is the same speed, just that one is slightly delayed.

I misunderstood from previous theads on what was needed to run the wiring properly. I had thought that they required a 30a fuse, but not so, they only require a 20a. I decided to wire the same as everyone else, tapping into the cig lighter, which is already 20a. I never used the lighter and I always charge my cell from the arm rest connect. So I tapped the positive into the positive line for the lighter and ground as well. Didn't seem like there was a reason for mento ground it anywhere else. I removed the lighter connect and is zipped with cutout wire, tucked in. I also couldn't decide where to place the switch, didn't want to drill any holes on panels or bezels and plan on eventually doing a BT switch plate. So for now, I removed the actual lighter assembly, which left a hole for me to place the switch for now. The hole is a little bigger, so tomorrow I will find away to secure it in place.

Of course I tested the cutouts multiple times during installing the wire and switch and all is working perfectly. I hope to have the cutouts installed on Monday or possibly Saturday, depending on when the mounting plate gets here. Once it's in I will post pix of setup and video for sound difference.

Thanks to all that put in they're input and special thanks to STROGUY (Randy) for his patience and guidance.

11. BOSChargerSRT

Update: I removed the entire cig lighter assembly, leaving a hole for me to mount the cutout switch, but the hole is bigger than switch. I couldn't find a plastic adapter, fortunately I tried "power brake check grommet and it fit perfectly and the switch is secure. Here's the pic of grommet...
    [​IMG]
    Here's the ash tray switch..
    [​IMG]

12. 1bad4dr

1bad4dr Mr. Meany

that looks OEM, Jimmy. Great job.

13. BOSChargerSRT

Thanks Ron!!!! Yeah, I like to keep things clean and it looks better than expected. I like the fact that it's hidden for now. It's only short-term anyways...