Hidden front license plate

Discussion in 'Exterior Modifications' started by 10ChallSRT8, Jul 14, 2011.

1. 10ChallSRT8

10ChallSRT8 Midlife crisis junkie

Yay I'm first to post in the exterior mod section :mains:

For those wanting to mount a front plate but loathe drilling into their bumper, there is a solution. Install a remote controlled license plate holder made by Altec. I did this on my ride and works pretty well. I figure if I get pulled over for whatever reason, I'll have the front plate flipped up by the time I get pulled over. I like it since it keeps the front of the car neat and it's a cool conversation item at Meet-n-Greets. A couple things tho after having used it for a couple months:

- Install was easy on a SRT8 Challenger. I mounted mine dead center under the front chin spoiler. I installed the control module under the fuse box cover. I think I used 1 screw to hold it in place since it's more less wedged between fuses and the fuse box/lid itself. It has a short black antenna wire that I ran out of the fuse box and behind it out of site.
    - Range is pretty good but only point to do that would be to mess with folks as they look at your car while you are off in the distance heh.
    - You get 2 remotes but I just leave one in car. You must hold down the the button to make the plate flip up or down. I timed it and it takes approx 6 seconds to get it fully up or down... if it doesn't snag.
    - Daily drivers beware... it can snag as it moves and get stuck partially up or down.
    Cause = the track and mini cables get dirty since its under the car.
    Solution = I used some dry lubricant like Elmers Slide-All
    - One drawback to this item is that when you are in the car and operate it, you have zero indication of when it is fully up or down. Keep it maintained. If you install it and forget about until a month later when you want to show it off, you may get embarrassed.
    - Second drawback is that since its under the chin spoiler, you must be extra careful with pulling up to curb stops in parking lots. It's maybe 3/4" thick. Even more of an issue if you have a lowered ride.

Video of a Challenger with it mounted off to one side. Center looks better IMO.
    Challenger w/ Show and Go remote license plate

Google it and choose whomever you like to buy it. There are 2 versions; one where you manually pull it up or stow and the other is powered remote controlled

2. 1bad4dr

1bad4dr Mr. Meany

Yea, I have the manual flip on mine and love it.

I read bad reviews on the motorized version which is why I opted for the manual.

Either way, they are nice to have. Thanks for sharing.

3. Quick

Quick Mgmt. - I can't help you

Have you scraped it yet? Are they pretty durable?

4. Speedy

Speedy Blown by Speedlogix

I´d like that but as Ron and you pointed out it has some issues, and I need it for when I get pulled over for front licenseplate delete and the officer realizes hes wrong!
    It HAS to work at that point...

Fredrik:D

5. Mighty Noid

Mighty Noid Need bigger cam and bette

The install on the one in the video is in a stupid location.... he will scrap that sucker off quickly.... and be out 150 bucks!!!

If he has any install skills... he should have put in the lower grill spot... and off center since the center of the fascia is to far foward....

6. 10ChallSRT8

10ChallSRT8 Midlife crisis junkie

I scraped mine twice so far in it's stowed position. I barely rubbed the license plate across a curb both times. Once I get a Lockpick connected to the factory RER radio, I'll have front and rear cameras going to prevent getting to close to things. The Challenger chin spoiler sits pretty low but other LXs may not have this issue. Despite the scrapes, mine still works fine long as I keep it clean.

7. Quick

Quick Mgmt. - I can't help you

Lol, I don't know about your cops but a lot of ours are breathing. He's going to take a look at your unusual bracket, correctly figure you're trying to put one over on him, and you're going to end up getting cited for some infraction that you or any of your friends never knew existed :). I'd save the money, get the manual one, and go with "Sorry about that, I was at a show and must have forgot to put it back up, let me show you".

Now if you're sitting in Beach Burger and see the cop start writing tickets at the other end of the parking lot that remote control might do the trick :D

8. 1bad4dr

1bad4dr Mr. Meany

Exactly...

lmfao troof.

9. Speedy

Speedy Blown by Speedlogix

Hahaha, yeah, but if you meet the cop or just pass him and he THINKS you didn´t have a licensplate you´d get away with it here. The cops have to PROVE here what you did. Say speeding for instance, its not enough if the officer tesifyes that you were going at the speed of light, he have to have a lazergun to prove it, that lazergun has to come with the papers of when it was last calibrated, papers of the morning check, and the officer has to provevide the documents saying he/she is qualified to operate it.
    So we have several ways of making their day suck, and there is no such thing as "officers disctretion" here, allways be polite and listen and you can get away with a lot here unless they can make you admitt to things.
    Never insult an officer, unless you have a car with NO faults cause he´ll make a big inspection and check everything.

Fredrik:D

10. jhonmax12

jhonmax12 New Member

automobiles

Regular preventive maintenance is probably the single thing you can do as a car owner to keep your ride happy and save money on repairs in the future. However, not everyone agrees on what preventive maintenance is, what you should do, and when you should do it. Let's clear that up, and give you some tips that'll apply to any vehicle.
    ………………………………………………….

PREVENTATIVE VEHICLE MAINTENANCE