How To:Change/Install Halfshafts

Discussion in 'How-To/Tech Database' started by Hemi31, Dec 19, 2007.

1. Hemi31

Hemi31 [email protected]

I don't have any pics yet, but as soon as the next install comes in I will get them.

Tools Needed:

Strong 3/8" Ratchet and breaker bar
    21mm short socket
    18mm short socket
    15 mm deep socket
    13mm deep socket
    1 1/4" socket and 1/2" ratchet for axle nut
    18" 3/8 drive extension
    3/8 drive swivel
    12 point 3/8" socket,3/8 drive
    5/16" allen key or socket
    18mm box wrench
    T-60 Torx socket
    large flat blade screwdriver or small prybar.
    small flat blade screwdriver
    small hammer
    small piece of soft pine.
    4 Jack stands and a good Jack......2-3 ton is preferable.

OK.......take a deep breath cause it's not as scary as it looks....a second set of hands is helpful....but not imperative.

Start by getting the car in the air.I like to put the first two jack stands in the rear pockets on the rocker panels.Get it up as high as possible.
    Next the exhaust needs to come off(in one piece).Loosen the forward clamps,remove the center brace,use a little wd-40 on the center rubbers and pry them off the exhaust hooks,then remove the four 13mm bolts holding the rear hangers while someone holds the tips up.If your by your self you can let them down.....just put some cardboard under the tips and polished parts.
    Now wiggle the exhaust back and forth till it slides off the cat pipes and pull it out from under the car and out of the way.

Ok.......get the rear wheels off.Set the E-Brake.Using the 1 1/4 socket remove the axle nuts.
    Now jack up the control arms slowly so they are horizontal to the ground and stick the jackstands under them.....this needs to be done to make room for the axles to swing.

Put the transmission in neutral so you can turn the driveshaft.Release E-brake.

So now that your completely committed(or should be)......grab the T-60 Torx and the 18mm box wrench and take out the four driveshaft bolts on the differential side of the yolk(silver ones).....you will need to pry the driveshaft back from the pinion.Move the shaft out of the way.
    Place the jack under the differential and bring the pad up so it just makes contact.
    Using the 5/16 allen socket remove the allen bolt from the front of the differential.
    Now get the 21mm ratchet and the breaker bar.The two remaining bolts are in the cradle right in front of the spare tire well......there is only enough room to barely get the ratchet in.You need to take 3-4 pulls and switch sides......work it back and forth like this walking the diferential forward till both bolts are out(this is the biggest PITA both removal and replacement).
    Once the differential is free you want to lower the jack slowly,The differential will want to go forward as it goes down so walk the jack with it.Stop the jack about halfway down.You should now be ready to use the prybar to pop the axle out of the differential.You only need to move it about a half inch with the prybar.pry on the axle flange not the seal flange.Do the drivers side first.Once the axle is sliding freely you need to wiggle the differential around till you can move the axle out far enough to angle completely out of the differential,then slide it out of the hub.Now you can do the passanger side easily.
    Lower the differential to the floor.

If you are installing heavy duty halfshafts see note 1.
    Now......if your doing DSS halfshafts and need to change the tone rings see note 2.

Installation:Check differential seals,replace if necessary.

Slide halfshafts into the hubs(Oil or anti-sieze the splines) and install and tighten axle nuts.(157 LbFt)Remember,left side is short.

Raise the differential to the removal height.Oil the Splines and slide the passanger side axle into the differential and seat it.Carefully work the drivers side axle in(watch the seal) and raise the jack till axle is all the way in.Make sure it's seated.

Raise the differential back into position and carefully get the 21mm bolts started(I use antiseze here).Make sure you don't cross thread these.....if your unsure STOP!!

Tighten the 21mm bolts(162 lbft) and then replace the allen bolt(48lbft)
    Next reinstall the driveshaft and tighten bolts(43lbft)
    remove the jackstands under the control arms.
    Slide the exhaust back under the car.Hold the front of the system up and put the brace back on......this will help if your alone.I will use a strap and tie the rear of the exhaust up so I can get it back on the cat pips......once in place put the center rubbers back on the pipes,remove strap,then install the 4 rear mounts,and finally retighten the forward clamps.
    Put your wheels back on and let the car down.

Note 1:
    _______

Replacing the hubs for heavy duty halfshafts:
    Make sure you have the studs pressed into the hubs before installation on car.

While the axles are out of the car using an 18mm socket remove the caliper and hang out of the way with wire.Remove the rotor.Using the 18" extension,12point 3/8" socket and swivel remove the four bolts holding the hub on from the backside of the knuckle.......remove stock hub and replace with heavy duty hub.Reinstall bolts and torque to 50 lbft.
    Reinstall rotor and caliper.(70lbft)

Note 2:
    ______

If installing DSS halfshafts you will need to transfer the tone rings from your stock halfshafts.

This is not difficult but you need to be very careful as replacement Tone rings are not available and you will be buying another axle to get one!

Do this one shaft at a time and do not mix up sides.The driver side shaft is the shorter of the two.

Make a note of where the ring seats on the old shaft.....notice there is a small gap.....make sure you match that on the new shaft.....if it's off you'll get codes.

Using a small flat blade screwdriver pry gently on the ring working slowly around a little at a time till it pops off......be very careful not to damage the magnetic material....Or you will get codes.

Place it on the new shaft and work it on with your fingers slowly till you can't get it any further.From there I use a small hammer and a piece of very soft pine and tap it evenly around the ring till it is seated.......again....be very careful not to damage the ring......or you will get codes.

Good Luck and hope this helps.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2008
  2. LegMaker

LegMaker LMI - LegMakerIntakes

this is awesome stuff erik!!!!

3. 1bad4dr

1bad4dr Mr. Meany

Excellent Erik...

Thanks so much.

haha Looks like writers block was erased. hehe

:thanks::thanks::thanks::thanks:

4. Deleted.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2008
  5. Ozzie

Ozzie New Member

Muchas gracias, Erik. Outstanding job! :tip:

6. JMatt

JMatt Platinum Supporting Member

You rock!!! Thanks. In the coming weeks I expect to be contacting you as I try to do this on my own. I'm fairly accomplished in general, but never messed with halfshafts before.

However - I did manage to repair a torn CV boot, which is "not a serviceable part" according to Chrysler. :grin:

7. HEMISFEAR

HEMISFEAR Ur Friendly Canadian

Holy Crap Erik....you are the fricken man! This is information that will be helpful to many a member. Thanks.

8. Hemi31

Hemi31 [email protected]

Use the split boot I told you about?

I hope I didn't shoot myself in the foot!

9. StevoSRT

StevoSRT Moderator

i'll just use the best way to change out a half shaft...take my car to Erik!! hahaha

10. JMatt

Nope - LOL. I'll tell you this much: The first repair attempt included duct tape. :mouth:

11. StevoSRT

StevoSRT Moderator

duct tape fixes EVEYTHING!!! :thumb3:

12. Quick

Quick Mgmt. - I can't help you

Wow, unbelievable Erik! Major frikken job (well, for most of us) completely described in just a few words. I wouldn't even need the pics. I'm confident even Ron could do it (if he bought a wrench :rofl:). Outstanding. :thumb2::worthy:

oh, just a thought... wear coveralls for the pics :grin:

13. Stretch

Stretch Silver Supporting Members

Nice write up Erik. Not that Momo will ever have enough power to snap his shaft, but he likes the reading material though... Lol!

14. Mains

Mains Pobody's Nerfect

GREAT writeup :towel:

15. JMatt

How do I press the studs into the new hub?

Is a machine shop's services required?

And another follow-up question:

Do I have to drop the differential by itself? Will it work the same if I leave the differential in the cradle and attached to the driveshaft, but drop the entire rear cradle (like some people do when changing the rear suspension?)

Last edited: Jan 5, 2008
  16. Hemi31

Hemi31 [email protected]

To mount the new studs I use a 3/4 inch spacer and a lug nut that won't be used on the car.Then I draw the stud through with an impact gun.Make sure this is done off the car as there is not enough room to slide the studs in with the hub mounted.
    Or you can take it to a machine shop and have them pressed in......but there is not much room to get the press in.
    And yes.....you drop the differential itself,not the cradle......I am sorry iff I didn't make that perfectly clear in the first post.I should have a couple of cars to do in a few weeks and at that time I will get plenty of pics.

17. SRT8bby

SRT8bby Full Access Member

Hey E, can you print out those directions and come down to Florida? You see, there's this nice Silver Charger that needs some lovin'.

18. Hemi31

Hemi31 [email protected]

hehe....what you need to do is drive up here and I'll install them........then we take the car and beat the livi.....er....uh.....I mean test the axles out at Englishtown and you can see how we all run such great times.:bigwink:

19. dommo_g

dommo_g Yes, dommo_g.

Well....I have no freakin' idea why I read your how-to, because I don't even own an SRT-8. But it was very thorough and well written. The only thing it needs is pics. Good job.

20. 1FST4DR

1FST4DR Supporting Vendor

So what ever happened to the pics??Eriks a slacker!!! :)