HOW-TO: Get rid of the Stock BOV flutter

Discussion in 'How-To/Tech Database' started by master_1011, Apr 21, 2008.

1. master_1011

master_1011 The Man.

This is how to relieve the common "Horse Laugh" sound.
    This works perfect for stock surge valve with or w/o the rice plate.
    This works perfect for an aftermarket BOV, but YOU need to set up the adjustments on that. If you have it set-up too tight, you will still get the flutter.

****Do this at your own risk. I will not be held responsible for any negative effects from this mod****
    ****This mod will cause your stock surge valve (with or without blue plate) to leak under vacuum. To avoid this, buy a 16 dollar spring from PTPerformance.****

Ok, here goes........

Firts off, go get some 7/32 inch vacuum line from your local Autozone, Napa, Pepboys, etc. While your there, get a vacuum 'T' (sold in single packs with other vacuum components) and some vacuum caps. The caps can be bought in a set with different sizes. This is your best option.

Now, take your intake off. (it's impossible to reach the turbo nipples with it on)

Remove the pink/blue/black lines from the center solenoid and all tubing associated with them.

There is a green, three-way check valve between the block and the battery. You will leave the line going out the BACK alone. The other two lines will be removed. CAP off the TOP of the valve. (see pic)

[​IMG]

There is a nipple on the turbo where the blue line used to go to. You guessed it, CAP it off.

Now, run a new line straight from the TB to the FRONT of the green valve. Make sure you replace the right line on the TB. DO NOT use the line going to the PCV valve.

[​IMG]

Now, in the middle of that line, use the 'T' and run a line from there to the BOV. (it should work with an aftermarket BOV as well as the stocker...which ever you have.)

If you have an aftermarket BOV, you need to make sure it's adjusted right to avoid flutter..but thats up to you.

Now, put your intake back on. There are two nipples on the intake. One goes to the valve cover, the other used to goto the TB. CAP that nipple.

Voila. Done. MAKE SURE YOU ZIP-TIE ALL YOUR LINES!!! That is #1 to avoid un-neccessary boost leaks.

All the openings on the solenoid in the middle are now empty and useless, so just leave them alone. You can cap them if you want.

This will NOT throw a CEL. Well,....it shouldn't anyways. Definitely won't with Stage 1,2,3.

If you have any other questions, PM me.

Jeff

Last edited: Apr 21, 2008
  2. StillANeon

StillANeon Full Access Member

My car sounds like a rattle snake. I might have to do this.

Not to sound like Dave Sealy but why didn't Dodge do it this way to begin with?

3. master_1011

master_1011 The Man.

:thumb:

4. StillANeon

Would it be a better idea to get a thicker T then the brass one supplied with S3? for 7/32nd sized line?

Couldn't I just remove the pink line to the Boomba, and the black line at the bottom of the middle solenoid? And just use that empty area in the T since the small little black line on the solenoid is gone and run a new line from that T to the Boomba? So then it would be coming from that direct vac source. My only concern would be that it is small T and I might need something bigger? Would I have to get rid of the blue line too at the solenoid? Sorry for all this rambling. Just want to get it right the first time.
    [​IMG]

5. master_1011

master_1011 The Man.

A bigger "T" shouldn't be necessary.

As far as the line routing, you'll just have to play with it. As long as there is a vacuum source to the BOV, and no open ports, then you should be all right.

6. StillANeon

I shall mess with it tommorrow... You seem to be running a pretty big "T" with bigger vac line so thats why I was wondering.

Thanks for the response though.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2009
  7. master_1011

master_1011 The Man.

I was running 7/32 line...and it was hard as hell to get it on the 'T' I used....so even mine was kinda small.

8. 1bad4dr

1bad4dr Mr. Meany

hmmmm PTPerformance???

Trying to remember this guy.

Ok, now I know who PTP is.

STAY AWAY from PTP.

Here's a novel idea, use supporting Vendors who hold a GREAT name and reputation in DCR or RealTune.

9. StillANeon

I will put up a ton more pictures tomorrow. But man. Car runs SOOOOO much better now. No more fluttering at all. A very nice long HISSSSSSS.

The only problem I ran into was that I had to run another vacuum T since I have a S3 fuel rail. The assorted box I got of vacuum T's has different sizes of course but on all three ends of the "T" they are the same size. It would be nice for them to have a smaller size on one side and not just the T section.

10. master_1011

master_1011 The Man.

Easy, killer.....I wrote this write-up a couple years ago on the other forum, and copied here last year....

But, despite PTP's undoing in recent months, all I recommended was a spring. I don't know who else sells them, even though I would also point out reputable vendors such as DCR or RealTune.

And, for the record, when I had a bunch of PTP stuff under the hood, it all worked as advertised....I'm just sayin'.

If I(or anyone else) find another vendor who sells the springs, I(or you...) will gladly change the OP.

11. 1bad4dr

1bad4dr Mr. Meany

hahahaha 2008. Didn't even see it.

PTP is a Wiesel, a fake, and a thief. Oh, and a trouble maker. lol

12. master_1011

master_1011 The Man.

Your right, he is. He was the go-to vendor back in the day....but, he screwed that up for himself.

I never would have recommended him if I wrote this recently.

13. Jack_Wallace

Jack_Wallace New Member

Hey I followed your instructions exactly and double checked everything, but I have an issue. The flutter has gone away, but now I get this loud squealing noise while the engine is idling. It doesn't make this noise when the car is actually driving around, but only during idle. anyways, Do you guys have any advice??

14. StillANeon

Uh what? Get a video of this so called squealing. And what is your vac idle at?

15. StillANeon

Just adding to this thread:
    I got the P2R vacuum block. It did not come with any fittings but I expected that for the $35 shipped price tag.
    I spent around $14.50 for brass fittings at the hardware store.
    2- 3/8'' Hex Plug
    1- 1/8'' Hex Plug
    2- 1/8''HB X 1/8"MPT Barb fitting
    2- 1/4"HB X 1/8"MPT Barb fitting
    Put a nice line of liquid teflon around the 3rd from top thread on each one and tightened it down tight.

Here are various picts:
    [​IMG]
    ^Mock up of the fittings and where I want them before teflon

[​IMG]
    Mounted on battery tray. ^

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    All vac lines hooked up.

[​IMG]
    Intake on, still need to put in a couple connections and straighten out catch can.

16. Quick

Quick Mgmt. - I can't help you

Holy cow! I had no idea he was a trouble maker.

17. StillANeon

Hmmm did this vacuum mode to a locals SRT-4, causes his Mopar BOV to go off during WOT.... Like its leaking...

18. kingnate

kingnate Full Access Member

check the lines going to the BOV sounds like he has a leak.

19. StillANeon

Boost leak tested, no leaks at all. He just said when he starts to go WOT he hears it going off. I think its because we hooked the surgevalve up to the TB. Way more pressue causing it to open up prematurely?

20. master_1011

master_1011 The Man.

Did you notice the part about the required spring mod?? Either that or the surge valve may be bad.