How to install a new kicker amp with an L5 solobaric using stock box:

Discussion in 'How-To/Tech Database' started by ltdodge, Nov 11, 2007.

1. ltdodge

ltdodge Full Access Member

The solobaric box install:

The L5 sub is too deep and does not fit in the box, so what I did was get 1/2" MDF board and cut a square template of the speaker twice. (the L5 box has a template that you can use). I then siliconed them both painted them flat black so they are concealed. I then siliconed the square rings onto the box to give sufficient space for the L5 magnet.

[​IMG]

At the back of the box, I cut a 2” diameter hole to run the speaker terminals on the back of the box. I then stuffed the box with polyfoam and connected the speaker with the wires to the back of the connectors.

[​IMG]

I then screwed the speaker to the ring, thus providing a clean install. (you can add a speaker mesh to protect the sub if you want. I noticed that the stock mesh did not fit without some modifications, but I left it alone, so I can reinstall the stock speaker when I sell the car.

[​IMG]

The amp install:

Below the trunk is a cover that is held with several clips, pull down on the clips and take off the cover to expose the amp.

[​IMG]

One the amp is exposed disconnect the plug from the amp and proceed to tap the wires on the plug. (if you look to the front of the plug there are number assigned to the wires. The #2 wire is the positive and the #3 wire is negative. Splice to these wires and run the wires to the amp using RCA plugs (JL audio sells the RCA plugs on one end and the + and - on the other end model # XB-CLRAIC2-SW)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I then made a homemade amp rack that fits below the storage compartment and installed my Kicker ZX amp, I ran the + and - cables to the battery (I used 4 gauge wire and an inline fuse) and the RCA cables (from stock amp previously spliced) to the amp. Remember to switch the amp button setting to the high-low settings.

(The amp can be placed next to the stock amp (underneath), but at the time I was using a bigger amp and it did not fit under the box. But the Kicker ZX amp will fit)

[​IMG]

As for the remote turn on for the amp, I found that in the trunk fuse box the #18 fuse is for ignition and I just piggy backed it there, so I did not need to run any wires to the radio and I had no trim panel to remove..... so basically when you turn off the ignition, the amp still stays on like the radio until you open the doors.

[​IMG]

I then ran a bass adjustment knob from the amp to the front and installed next below the steering wheel, this will allow you to adjust the amp whenever you want for higher or lower levels of Bass for different songs.

[​IMG]

Finally connect the speaker wires and adjust your amp setting with the instructions provided and to your preferred settings.

[​IMG]

This will make you srt-8 sound way better and I expect to add the 366 watt amp to compliment the sound. Ask Ron (1bad4dr) about how good it sounds.....

Last edited: Nov 11, 2007
  2. 1bad4dr

1bad4dr Mr. Meany

Excellent wrtie-up Luis. Thanks.

And yes, this amp and subwoofer combination has improved the sound quality and thump of the Kicker system hands down.

I was amazed at how much better the overall sound was from highs, mids, and Sub.

This is a MUST do if you are looking to better the quality of an already nice sound system.

3. LegMaker

LegMaker LMI - LegMakerIntakes

nice write up luis!!! you just saved me some time!!! hahahahahaha i did the exact same thing this weekend, with some slight changes.....

amp installed at stock amp location....
    used the "high level" inputs to get signal to amp (no rca cables)
    used the stock amps "pig tail" harness for the connections.
    installed an L7 sub instead of L5 (only because no L5 in stock)
    reinstalled the stock grill
    installed upgraded 368 watt, 8channel digital amp from mopar for rest of system
    installed bass adj. know in center consol

the use of the L7 sub with an even deeper mount depth, coupled with the use of the stock metal cover for the sub, required me to cut off about 1 1/4" of the side of the floor cover that lifts up in order to clear the sub. i also had to cut an opening in the under shelf cover piece at the top of the trunk to clear the amp. i use my under storage area too much for stuff that i did not want to lose it to the amp. over all i am VERY happy with the set up!!! highly recommend it to anyone. huge improvement without a huge chunk of the wallet!

4. LegMaker

LegMaker LMI - LegMakerIntakes

btw luis - where did you end up setting your gain controls for the amp????? that is what i am fine tuning now. just curious! let me know brudda!!

5. Mains

Mains Pobody's Nerfect

Great write up. Moved to How-To!
    :headspin:

6. NM08SRT8

NM08SRT8 I need Diablo!

So this works with the 300 Kicker setup right? With no heavy modifications? I know the charger has the Square kicker already. I have a L5 in a single kicker box now, but I'd love to do this. Also I'm using the 900RMS Kenwood KAC-9104D amp to move this beast

7. NM08SRT8

NM08SRT8 I need Diablo!

Oh and what size is that sub? Mines a 12" and I know OE is 10" I think?

8. bigwilly1267

bigwilly1267 New Member

is there more than one amp in the chargers. i see the amp in the rear is there one in the front or something?