How to load and save up to 5 tunes in the Predator.

Discussion in 'Diablosport Q&A' started by 1bad4dr, Jun 23, 2008.

1. 1bad4dr

1bad4dr Mr. Meany

When you open the DS Downloader, go to the Advanced Tuning tab (bottom of window). Click on "Add Tune" and pick the tune you want to load into the Predator. You will need to do the previous five times.

Once you have the desired tunes in the "List of Tunes to Download" box, then click on the "Send to Tool" button (top of the page next to the HELP button).

2. Quick

Quick Mgmt. - I can't help you

and note that you can change the name and the comments that will be displayed on the Predator for each tune file.

3. 6.1luvr

6.1luvr Baptized by Fire

More excellent info!:worthy:

4. NetNathan

NetNathan Not the Momma

As far as changing the tune name goes, don't you have top leave the number there but you can add text/numbers to the end?

5. Quick

Nope. We're not talking about the tune FILE name. When you get the tune on the Predator and go to the Custom Tunes section you see a list of your custom tunes. If you don't change the "tag" it will display the tune file name. For example I have a tune file with a file name of "05030232ae_12_0.drg". When I go to the Custom Tune section on the Predator I see "AFR 12.0". When I select that tune I see lines and lines of comments that I put in listing everything I changed in it.

6. NetNathan

NetNathan Not the Momma

It was the tune file name I was talking about.
    However you can also change the file name on your pc if you want.
    Of course you will probably loose the tag info, so you may want to rename the file first before using the dsdownloader to assign a tag and description.

You have to leave the original "########ae" in the beginning of the tune file name, but you can add any legal characters afterthe "ae" in the tune file name before the ".drg" extension.

Example...
    You could rename your tune file from "05030232ae_12_0.drg" to "05030232ae_12_0afr.drg" and it would still work.
    You just have to remember to leave (in your case) the "05030232ae" in the beginning of your tune file names.
    I guess that number is some sort of a unique indentifier and must match PCM to Predator comms. I wonder if the number is related to some PCM ID number?

Last edited: Jun 23, 2008
  7. Quick

It may be. It IS the name of your Original Backup. In the example above the Original Backup is named "05030232ae.drg".

8. chess

chess Big Block Powa

but you can only have 1 cmr tune stored right ??

9. Quick

No. Any tune imported from the PC to the handheld will go into the Custom Tune section. This could be a cmr tune you obtained or a tune you previously exported to the PC from the handheld.

The number of custom tunes you can store on the handheld is limited by the fixed amount of memory space allocated for custom tunes. Tune files can differ greatly in size. A cmr tune file will be large. Tune files exported from the handheld will be small since they are basically "diff" files. I think it's a sure thing you can get 4 full sized cmr tunes onto the handheld, maybe 5. You can get more if some or all are smaller (like previously exported) files. I don't know the total size of the memory on the handheld for custom tunes.

10. NetNathan

NetNathan Not the Momma

You can have as many as want on your pc but only 5 at a time can be downloaded to your Predator to be used.
    All 5 tunes on your Predator can be CMR tunes depending on memory size.

You beat me to him Dave....

11. Mike@Diablosport

Mike@Diablosport Full Access Member

Nice...

12. 1bad4dr

1bad4dr Mr. Meany

haha Just think back a couple months when I was asking the same questions. hehe

I also did one for the Fan settings. heheh Same scenario as stated above. ;)

13. Bud

Bud GG EVO IX MR

I'm about to remove my custom tune for a road trip and intall 9r08. What is the correct procedure? Save custom tool from device to computer first, then restore original stock tune, then install 9r08 to device and then car?

14. Quick

Yep, that's about it. You should have your B&G? tune file on your PC anyway from when you first got it right? If so, there is no need to get it from the Predator again.

If not, try getting it from the Predator to make sure Dave hasn't locked it from being retrieved from the Predator. If he has, when you do the get last tune written you'll get a message that the tuner has blocked this tune from being uploaded. It's like the roach motel, you can put the tune file on the predator but you can't go the other way. If you've made adjustment to your cmr tune you're going to want to remember them or write them down so you can apply them again when you put it back on. Either way, if you have it on your PC now you're good to go.

- Restore Original Backup. This also resets the predator. Unmarries it from the car and erases any tunes you had in the custom tune area.
    - Go to PC and update the CROM.
    - Go to car and write the CAI 91 Oct tune to the car. It's first going to save your Original Backup and marry itself to the car and write the tune to the car. You can modify parameters for fans and raised shift points just before you write it to the car or after and then write it to the car again.
    - Go back to PC and download the B&G to the Predator
    - If you want to drive around at your destination with the B&G just write it to the car once you get there (reset parameters or don't before writing -- See below). Same thing after returning home.

About modified parameters and writing tune files to the PC (or the car):

[FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']To try to clarify a bit. Think of it this way.

You have tune files on the predator with settings of whatever. Could be the included tunes or it could be one or more custom tunes you downloaded to the Predator. The Predator does NOT modify these tune files (hang with me here). They will remain unchanged on the Predator.

When you go into Modify Parameters the Predator will keep a list of the changes you make. This list is kept separately. You are not making changes to one of the above mentioned tune files (the one you have selected). So when you see stars by parameters in the Modify Parameter section that means that you have made/added changes to the list. The Predator does not look at the selected tune file to see if it has been changed (it hasn't). When you download a tune file to the Predator it cannot tell if it was previously modified by the Predator.

So now you have a list of changes and a selected tune file. When you download/write the tune to the car the Predator will make a COPY of the tune file and apply the changes from the list to the copy. It is this copy that gets written to the car. The same thing happens when you upload a tune from the Predator to the PC by selecting "Get Last Tune Written". The only tune file that doesn't get copied and changes applied as it leaves the Predator is the Original Backup. Even if you have changes in the change list they will never be applied to the Original Backup when it's restored to the car or copied to your PC.

This is why you can select a different tune file on the Predator and it will ask you if you want to reset parameters to default. Reseting parameters to default only resets the change list. If you don't reset parameters the change list you made with the last selected tune will be applied to the newly selected tune file copy AS IT LEAVES THE PREDATOR if you write it to the car or save it on your PC.

The Predator does not have default values as such. Everything is off whatever is in the selected tune file. For some things like fan settings it will read them from the tune file and display them in the Modify Parameter menu. So that guy (Maddog) was assuming/implying that each time you wrote the "modified" tune to the car you would also save it on your PC and then download it back to the Predator again (as a custom tune) for the next go round. No, he didn't say that in the beginning of the post.

Lets say you did that. Selected a tune, made changes in modify parameters, wrote the tune to the car and then uploaded it to your PC with "get last tune written". When you upload to the PC (and when you wrote it to the car) the changes will be applied to the copy and uploaded. The tune file you save on the PC will now have the changes IN it. Then you download it to the Predator as a custom tune. When you download tune file(s -- you can download multiple custom tune files in the Advanced Tuning screen) it first erases anything in the custom tune area on the Predator and then copies the tune file(s) from the PC to the custom tune area. Now you have a tune file in the custom tune area that DOES have the changes you made before copying it to the PC. If you did not reset parameters from last time, when you write it to the car it would apply the change list to the tune file -- so in that case the changes would be cumulative.

The Predator has no idea what you started with or that some tune file was previously modified by it. That's also why you write down the changes when you save a file on the PC. If you forget there's no way to retrieve that information. I started with the CAI91oct tune. I made fuel changes to get it to 12.7:1 AFR. Saved it on the PC. Then I made fuel changes to get it to 12.2:1 AFR and saved that on the PC. Went back to the 12.7 tune for a while and then back to the 12.2 tune. Then I made changes to get it to 12.0. Somebody asked me how much fuel I added to the original CAI91oct tune to get 12.0 AFR and I couldn't tell them.

[/FONT]

Haha, it's a good thing we don't charge Mike by the amount of space his forum uses :D

15. Bud

Bud GG EVO IX MR

YOU are the man Dave! I really appreciate you taking the time to write all that. It will help out a lot. <off to go try it out>

Thanks buddy!

Update: Thanks again Dave. Everything worked liked a charm. I even went back to ingrain in my craw the last 2/3rds of the diatribe above. I said NO to "reset parameters" and they were just as I wrote them down!! I went for a little test run of 9r08. It does shift better IMO. NOT "better" than my custom tune by Dave (B&G) but probably as good based on a few WOT runs. The one thing Dave still has heads and shoulders above the canned tunes is the drivability. The canned tune still has some of those hurky jerky tendencies. 9r08 is sure going to be a blessing for this road trip though. I got on the highway, reset mpg's, and drove for about 10 minutes at 75mph and averaged 25.0 mph's. Pretty damn good!

16. Quick

So now you can change back and forth between tunes in about 5 minutes anywhere. That mpg should save you about $100 bucks on the trip.