Looking to lower my car this Spring

Discussion in 'Wheels, Tires, Suspensions & Brakes' started by StillANeon, Jan 17, 2008.

1. StillANeon

StillANeon Full Access Member

Okay.

I am 90% sure I want to go the coilover route.

I want my car to be low getting rid of the nasty butt up look from the rear. I am rocking a spoilerless decklid from an SXT and not having it lwoered makes it look pretty nasty. This is my daily driver. I might take it autoxing or to a drag course once or twice but thats about it. Want a smooth ride with a great stance.

I am about to hit 60k on my car in the next couple of months, so throwing lowering springs on the stock struts would be stupid. It would be cheap, but it would cause a ton of headaches once the struts blow and of course tire wear. So I am not really considering that option.

One option I am considering other than coilovers would be a strut and spring setup. So far I have only seen one aftermarket strut for the SRT-4 that can handle a nice 2'' drop and thats the Tokico Illumias. Which are around $645 I believe through MPX. Then you would need a set of lowering springs which would run around $150.

Are there any other aftermarket struts that can handle a drop made for the SRT-4?
    I had the Tokico HP Blues on my 01 Neon with a 1.5'' drop all around, it drove really nice. I believe I got that setup for $380 shipped via eBay. That kit included the lowering springs and struts. Would be nice if the SRT-4 had that same kit. Here are some picts when I got them:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

But my mind is fixated on coilovers since that seems to be the best route with no regrets. I will be able to raise my vehicle once winter hits so that is a HUGE plus.

There are tons of coilovers out there.

My mind was set on the regular BC Coilovers since I have heard only but positive things about them. Then I started to see picts of the K-sport coilovers and they seem to ride great with a awesome stance. I am not sure on which ones to get. Any suggestions would be great.

I have a Exhaust Depot 3'' SEE on my car and I don't want the damn tip to be scrapeing. Any idea on how to raise it up a bit if there is a way?

Here is a vid to give you an idea how low it sits. Ignore the second half.

[​IMG]

2. psi chick

psi chick New Member

it all depends on how much you want to spend. i've heard good things about the bc's. the best out there from what i've seen, read and ridden in are the tein's. i will be switching to those eventually (i have the ipp fully adjustables and after three and a half years they're starting to squeek). coilovers are the best route for lowering, they give the best ride and the least amount of problems, but they are not cheap. if you get cheep co's you will pay the price.

3. StillANeon

$1000 max. Thats why I am considering the BC's. $1k shipped plus like a free Walboro fuel pump.

4. OrionR12

OrionR12 Full Access Member

I have had BC's on for about 3 months now and really like them. I got lucky and found a guy getting rid of his (were only on the car for 500 miles) for $750!

5. KrazyRdR83

KrazyRdR83 Dig or Roll?

damn you did luck out ^^^

I was thinking coilovers, been through that with my old VW, just sometimes a PITA when trying to adjust, but a good idea of going auto-x.

I'm on the same springs (Tokico's) but with stock struts. I like the way it looks...

6. CentralTexHemi

CentralTexHemi PUNISHER

7. StillANeon

Ugh thats just for Dodge Rams.
    Unless I am missing something.

8. 2muchpsi

2muchpsi Gold Supporting Members

i bought my car with tokico shocks and struts installed, i think 1 1/2 or 2 in drop non-adj. rides real rough but i got used to it real quick--almost no body roll either

9. CentralTexHemi

CentralTexHemi PUNISHER

He might be able to do something for you never hurts to ask

10. StillANeon

Well the Tokico's are stock on our cars. I am guessing you are talking about the Tokico Illuminas?

http://www.modernperformance.com/pr...=1266&osCsid=3e7a17af5b0f43732373d2a377ec1280

On some sort of Tokico lowering spring?

Well if he has never worked on Neons before I wouldn't trust him. Now if he was local I might look into it.

11. 2muchpsi

2muchpsi Gold Supporting Members

Well they look like those pictured above but are white?

12. StillANeon

Well the ones pictures above are white (In the link)..... those are the illuminas and I found out they are the only aftermarket strut for the SRT-4. Booooo. So I guess coilovers will be the route to take.

13. StillANeon

I am going with the BC Racing Coilovers! Ordering them tomorrow!

14. psi chick

psi chick New Member

good luck with them!

15. StillANeon

Thanks!

I am getting them below the asking price too!

Quick question:

The clevis bracket on the rear is not slotted so I will not be able to adjust camber unless I get the rear camber plates that are an additional $150. Would I be fine having the tech align the rear camber to spec?

I just don't want tire wear.

thanks.

16. psi chick

psi chick New Member

depends on what spec's your using. stock is 0 so there isn't going to be a problem with that. if you're going to lower the car a decent amount you're going to want to be able to adjust. i pesrsonally use the acr specs when i get an alignment, it's worked perfectly for me.

17. StillANeon

Sounds good! I also heard getting -1 all around worked for people too.

18. nevinsrt

nevinsrt Getaway driver for hire

When i get my coilover feb/march im going close to a neg 3 camber for the front and -1.5 to 2 on the rear it will depend on how it handles in corners.

19. StillANeon

What coilover kit are you going with?

20. StillANeon

Isn't it a great feeling to arrive at home with a nice sized box on your doorstep? You get a tingling feeling inside and have to open it up almost immediately? Yes, very good times indeed!

This is what I got!

[​IMG]
    60lbs of fun.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Gawd they are sexy! [​IMG]