Mod help for Father-in-Law's C5 Vette?!!

Discussion in 'Your Other Rides' started by SRTLUVR, Sep 10, 2009.

1. SRTLUVR

SRTLUVR Detailing "Go-to" Guy

My father in law has a cherry C5 Vette that he did exhaust on about a year ago, basic cat-back Magnaflow. Everytime he hears my car, he loves it. So now he's ready for headers......but I don't know SHIT about Chevy LSx or where to buy parts!! It's a 2001 with the 5.7, I believe that's the LS2, correct??

Do you guys know of any reputable places to buy headers?? And what brand?? Also, what handheld tuner is good, Diablo?? I assume he'll need to dial in a touch of fuel once he does the headers, correct? And lastly, he's (mildly) entertaining the idea of a new camshaft and cylinder heads. Thoughts on that??

I just need some direction here, any links or websites will help. THANKS GUYS!!!

2. LegMaker

LegMaker LMI - LegMakerIntakes

only thing i can think of is to ditch the disco ride and buy one of his own srt chargers if he loves the sound so much!!! lol

3. TNCHARGER

TNCHARGER Moderator

You beat me to it.....:grin:..............Chase I am sure there are some here that will chime in with Chevy knowledge but his best bet is to read some Vette forums...lot of them out there..

4. SRTLUVR

Yeah, he won't do that. He doesn't even have a computer at his house, lol. I'm trying to do a little homework here and help him out. But I don't wanna go thru the hassle of joining one of those forums and shit. I'm gonna check summit racing and jeg's right now.....

And yes, Chris, that's a great idea!!! But, he scored this Vette a few years ago from a one-owner. I think the car has 27,000 right now. It was a sweet find!!!

5. HalV48

HalV48 They Call Me Patron

2001 Corvette is a LS1 350HP, if it's a Z06 it's and LS6 385 HP, both are 5.7's. The LS2 is a 6.0 Litre 400HP that came out with the C6 in 2005.

I had good luck with these guys on my Z28 parts.

http://www.lmperformance.com/2338/4.html

Let me know if your looking for heads and cam. I may be able to find you some. Depends on what you want.

6. SRTLUVR

Okay, it's the LS1 then, Hal. Thanks dude. I'll check into that link!! I had some GOOD luck on Summit's website, too. THANKS MAN!!

I think the best bang for the buck he can get now, is to do CAI, headers, and a Predator. That's what I'm recommending. Along with his exhaust, that gets him a good foundation to build on, and a great performance increase over stock, not to mention a much better rumble!! And Chevy stuff is a good bit less $$$ too. Even after install, I think he can get all that for under $2K!!

PS - Hal, I think your post in that 9/11 thread was misdirected somehow???.....go look.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2009
  7. HalV48

My Z28 has a 2002 LS6 Corvette motor in it. Pretty much the only difference between and LS1 and an LS6 are the heads. They made about 15 more RWHP than the LS1. I have QTP/Kooks 1 7/8 headers on the Z28. The newer LS1's have the LS6 intake manifold. Actually they respond pretty well to a cam only swap. Heads aren't really necessary unless your really going to step up in other areas.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2009
  8. DRKNE55

DRKNE55 The Badguy

american racing headers and a borla exhaust to make it sound even meaner and if he wants a nice lope like im sure yours has, a good cam. that will bump him in the 400s for hp and it will sound a whole lot faster.

9. StevoSRT

StevoSRT Moderator

http://www.kookscustomheaders.com/c...=General Motors&sid=51&pname=Corvette&pnid=52

10. Dookie

Dookie Foe twenny sics

11. HalV48

Thunder Racing screwed me big time. They sent me a used short block that they re-ringed and put in new bearings. It had forged pistons and had been balanced. Well, guess what, the water jackets where rusted thru into the cylinders in 2 places. We didn't uncrate it right away, when we did we called them. They accused me of changing the block. I told them I was going to post it up on LS1Tech what they did. You know what her response was, go ahead, no one will believe you. Fuck Thunder Racing. I wasted $1300.00 and they could care less.

Now Allan Futral, that's a different story. Heard nothing but good things about him.

12. BLACK1

BLACK1 Head Monkey

13. Dookie

Dookie Foe twenny sics

Wow...never knew that Hal, sorry to hear it. I do know they have had a change their. The ownership was a partnership and is now a sole owner. They moved locations and got rid of some bad apples...not an excuse for your issue, just saying.

14. SRTLUVR

Man, thanks for all the help guys. There's a few good links in there. I really appreciate all the help!!!! :ilovesrtc: