overhead ambient lighting... for $10

Discussion in 'Interior' started by srt8-in-largo, Jan 11, 2010.

1. srt8-in-largo

srt8-in-largo Full Access Member

I finally got fed up with not being able to see the center console storage when driving on dark roads at night. The big thing for me is I can't see the ashtray... so I end up tossing butts out the window for fear of accidentally putting out a cig on the carpet or something.

Also when I come home after dark sometimes I need to gather my things but don't want the overhead lights spotlighting me.

So I did this:

[​IMG]

And now I have just enough light at night!!! It looks dark but at night in the car it's enough to see what you have in the little cubby storage areas.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 11, 2010
  2. NOTPAID4

NOTPAID4 Platinum Supporting Member

Just changed the bulbs???? Looks cool, but I need the light.... I'm old, ya know....LOL However I do like the color, but in North Carolina we are NOT allowed to have any blue lights anywheres on our cars.

3. srt8-in-largo

Haha naw I have the overhead lights still. I wired a single 330 mcd LED into the console. Light output is just enough to cut through the pitch black without being a distraction when driving at night. You can put your wallet or your phone in the shifter storage now and actually see where it is!

I hate to show a closeup because I muffed up the hole I drilled but you can't really notice in the car:

[​IMG]

Here's the LED wired up with doodads from Radio Shack:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. srt8-in-largo

Here's the finished wiring:

[​IMG]

Then it's patched into the back side of the overhead console:

[​IMG]

5. loxmith

loxmith Recovering Post Whore...

Very cool...:thumb:

6. NOTPAID4

Oh, OK, I gotcha. I bought some little light bar that plugs into the cigarette lighter to see inside the car at night. I don't have any pictures of that though.

7. Enemy

Enemy Ridin Dirty

very cool, same thing that my Corvette had (it had it factory installed into the rearview mirror)

8. srt8-in-largo

Thanks all. I'm really miffed at how I screwed up the hole though! I tried to get fancy and etch an indentation for the black LED holder to sit in, to make it flush with the tan plastic. But the bigger drill bit wandered and left me with an off-center, scuffed up hole!! Oh well...

I didn't know the Vette's had something like this. My Accord did too which is where I got the idea.

On my holiday roadtrip much of the driving was at night and I felt ridiculous sitting there in pitch black, not being able to see where I put my candy bar :D

A little light bar? Got a pic?

You must not be a smoker lol.

9. NOTPAID4

A little light bar? Got a pic?

You must not be a smoker lol.[/quote]

Ok, just for you, I went out and took two pictures of my blue light bar.... nothing fancy but it lights up the interior... and YES I am a smoker but do not use the ashtray or lighter.
    (Got mine at the fleamarket but they sell 'em at Wally World!)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. srt8-in-largo

I just noticed I asked for a pic right after you said you didn't have any!!

That's a cool little piece. Nice to see stuff like that for future ideas. NC state law or not, you need to hardwire that puppy.

Nice shifter btw...

11. NOTPAID4

Thanks for the comment about the shifter.... I also have one like it in my SRT and it looks like this!!!!!!!!!!!! They are real wood and aluminum!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. SRTLUVR

SRTLUVR Detailing "Go-to" Guy

I love this idea. I'll have my console out in the next month when I get my suede done. Where did you get all the parts, what do I need??

13. NOTPAID4

Was this question directed to ME??? If so, what parts are you referring too??? I'm assuming you were referring to HIS lights!

14. SRTLUVR

Yes, I was referring to Largo's lights......

15. srt8-in-largo

That really is sweet! Where'd you get it?

Awesome man and perfect timing if its gonna be out anyway. Not sure how electrically inclined you are but either way its pretty simple. I added some tips along with part info below but I'm not the greatest at explaining things; give me a shout if it doesn't make sense.

(1) LED, blue, 5mm round, 5V, 30mA, 300mcd (Radio Shack p/n 276-0311)

They also have red and white ones if you prefer. I think I'll eventually switch to green to match the stock green color of my gauges. The important thing aside from color is brightness. 300mcd works for me but you might want brighter or dimmer to suit your vision and tastes. Radio Shack doesn't have a huge selection so if you want something different you might have to find and order online.

(1) LED holder, accepts 5mm round (Radio Shack p/n 276-079)

These actually come in a pack of five. The LED snaps into place and isnt easily moved in or out; these seem to be a fairly secure holder.

(2) resistors, 470 Ohm (each), 1/2W (each)

The resistors are needed to properly bias (voltage) the LED. Without it the LED will burn out in a short time; with it the LED might out last the life of your car.

The LED listed above needs 5V of forward bias, that is, 5V on the positive terminal and 0V (i.e. ground) on the negative. 233 Ohms accomplishes this and two 470 Ohm resistors in parallel gives 235 Ohms... which is close enough. With this setup the resistors drop 7V, leaving 5V for the LED.

If you pick a different LED your resistor value might need to be different. If so poke around this link below and I bet you can figure things out, but give me a shout if you want help.

http://www.kpsec.freeuk.com/components/led.htm

The important thing is to wire the resistor in series with the LED and your 12V power supply. Also its critical to make sure you have your LED polarity correct... it has a positive and a negative end. The above website can help you make sure you're connected right.

1/4W should be fine too but a higher Wattage gives a little extra protection; I don't want to have to dig this chit out in a few months to replace anything.

On a side note when I first heard of stories from guys with expired LEDs from www.SuperLumination.com I suspected it was wrong or absent resistors. But I thought... nooooo... thats not possible. Well I just received my windshield washer LEDs from them and guess what? NO FRICKING RESISTORS!! And I'm pissed. If someone didn't know and hooked these up as-is they're gonna burn out, so now I need to modify them to how they should have come in the first place. What a bunch of jokers.

(misc) wiring, solder iron, solder, blade terminals, shrink wrap

The wire in my pics is 12 gauge which is extreme overkill; I don't suggest using this gauge because its too stiff, it was just the only thing I had laying around. 16 to 24 gauge is a nice general purpose wire.

Any el cheapo solder iron will do. Not sure if you've soldered before; gimme a shout if you need tips.

Blade terminals are optional but any quick connect oughta be fine if you want the ability to disconnect.

That's all the parts you need and I think you can figure out how everything needs to go together from the pics.

I'd suggest buying this cig lighter test rig shown in the lower left corner of the pic. I got one from the auto dept in Walmart and is pretty useful for testing your setup before installing it.

Just one more thing.... PLEASE BE CAREFUL!!!!!. Don't short your car out and definitely don't touch bare wires.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 9, 2014
  16. srt8-in-largo

Once you get things configured, soldered, and tested, you'll need a switched 12V supply. I can help you find this in the overhead console wiring... but the easiest way is for you to PM your email address so I can send you a pdf doc... with connector pics and pinout and stuff.

17. SRTLUVR

Dude. THANK YOU BRO!!!! This is great info!!!! I'll order the parts within the next couple days. And when she goes in the shop for stereo work and suede headliner I'll get it done. I'll do the red :D And I'm sure the dim light you have will be plenty, I just want a "little bit" of illumination too. Thanks for sharing!!! :rockon:
    Where did you wire this into, to light up?? And I assume it only comes on when headlights are on??

18. srt8-in-largo

Not a problem and hope it works out for ya. Maybe you can post pics of how yours looks when its done. I'd love to see that suede too!!

I'm wired on an ACC wire, so the LED is lit whenever the key is ACC or ON. It only draws 30mA which is almost nothing and the LED itself oughta be good for 50,000 hours so I'm not too worried about it being on all the time. Would be better on the headlight switch but I didn't want to get that involved.

The pics below are from a member's write up for hardwiring the V1 on one of these forums but I'm sorry to say I don't remember his screen name...

I wired into one of the connectors plugged into the back of the console. This is it here, the one off on the side of the console. BLK/GRN is ground and PINK is accessory power; don't take my word for this though (even though it's true). I encourage you to poke around with a voltmeter to satisfy yourself that everything is right.

When I initially wired my V1, I simply wrapped the wires together and taped it up. After a few months the V1 began flickering... so I went back in and actually soldered the wires together. Now after almost two years the V1 hasn't flickered at all.

[​IMG]

You'll need to unplug it and cut back the protective wrap. Then cut some plastic off and wire away. These pics show how the power connect is done, just do the same for the ground. I'd actually suggest another route now that I think about it; you should get a splice connector and make the connection using that. Then you wouldn't have to cut the plastic off the wire at all and you'll have a really clean and reliable connection.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 14, 2010
  19. Quick

Quick Mgmt. - I can't help you

Splice connectors are not the best... nothing beats good ole solder.
    but then again, your ambient lighting led is not exactly a critical
    component and splice connectors are hard to beat for convenience.

20. srt8-in-largo

Haha got any experience with that? :bigwink:

I agree if we're talking about real soldering, which I know you are, rather than just melting a bunch of stuff together. There's almost nothing worse than a bad solder job because it looks good, but the first stress fractures whatever connection you might have had.