Pedders Springs

Discussion in 'How-To/Tech Database' started by JCSRT8, Aug 3, 2008.

1. srt8-in-largo

srt8-in-largo Full Access Member

Pedders website actually says two different things about the amount of drop with their p/n 2941 springs. In one place it says 15mm (~0.6in) in another it says 25mm (~1in).

I asked Mike White (Pedders) about these springs in another forum and he said the springs work within the natural operating range of the Nivomats. I took that to mean what you guys are calling the 100% loaded case in this thread. He said nothing about needing to relocate mounts.

After more than a year I can't find a single confirmed SRT8 user of these damn things... on ANY forum. One thing is clear though, you'll get a definite "raked" look if you go with the 2940 fronts (50mm drop) and 2941 rears (max 25mm drop, maybe only 15mm).

Maybe it's time for me to actually test out a part. The Pedders kit is under $400 and it includes the bumpsteer correction. If I get them and it doesn't drop the rears, worst case scenario is now I'd just have to get some new Bilsteins.

EDIT: Not Bilsteins; prolly better to get a set of Pedder dampers if needed.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2009
  2. srt8-in-largo

srt8-in-largo Full Access Member

Credit to Odysseus and WildWhl at CadillacFAQ.com

What do you guys think about this trick that the CTS-V guys are doing?

There's a pretty nice write up with several more pics over there but I only posted the before, the disassembly, and the after. The premise is to disassemble the top of the shock and re-arrange the rubber stops so that the mounts sit about an inch lower. I think some additional washers are used at the top of the shock, but I'm not sure, I'd have to re-read the post over there.

I'm thinking now if Pedders doesn't drop enough for your liking, this could be an answer to getting a further drop.

Stock Nivomat. Note the 1" rubber spacer below the top pillow mount. This is NOT the bumpstop. There is a very large bump stop inside the large plastic tube that covers the rod.

[​IMG]

Here are the components of the spacers in the order they are installed. We’ve pulled out the stock spacer and will be putting new spacers above (and below) the top pillow mount. Note the small spacers that go inside the bottom of the top pillow mount to properly place the inner sleeve. A 0.2" rubber washer isolates the bottom of the top pillow mount during rebound, so there is no 'loose shock' clunk. Since the top pillow mount now sits 1" lower on the shock.

[​IMG]

You're done! Basically, we lowered the upper mount 1” so that the total shock travel is maintained while 1” lowering springs are used. Remount the shocks in the car, and take it for a spin.

[​IMG]