problem w/ temp.

Discussion in 'How-To Database' started by Hot Rod Jeep, Dec 19, 2008.

1. Hot Rod Jeep

Hot Rod Jeep wanna be faster

2-3 months ago I put in a jet stat and did the changes to the fan. Always ran around 190. Yesterday after some spirited driving on the interstate I noticed the temp go up to 195-198. after I slowed down it cooled back down to 190. I didn't change the cap at the time of installing the stat. So I noticed afew drops of coolant on my CAI tube. So I changed the cap to the autozone 7720 locking cap today and drove it again, same as above. Anybody have an idea?

2. 1bad4dr

1bad4dr Mr. Meany

I would expect the temps to rise above the opening temp (190) when spirited driving is done.

If it cools back down while normal driving, I would say all is functioning correctly.

3. markus

markus Silver Supporting Members

^^^ what r-dog said. i have a 180 and frequently am around 190-ish even with normal driving unless the outside temps are in like the 60's or below.

4. Shorestyle031

Shorestyle031 New Member

i have the same prob i have the jet and i got the cap and i still get spray but i wouldn't get a stronger cap because our system is only rated for 18lbs anyway so

5. Hot Rod Jeep

If its a 180 stat doesn't that mean it opens at 180? It has always stayed around or at 190 since the upgrade. Maybe I need to take out the 93 CIA tune and reinstall it? and Check the fan settings again? Maybe the fan isn't comming on when its suposed to?

6. 1bad4dr

1bad4dr Mr. Meany

Well that certainly could be the issue. lol

7. Quick

Quick Mgmt. - I can't help you

Also depends on what you mean by "spirited" driving. If I do a 1/4 pass from a standstill you can see the coolant temp rise steadily in the log. I suspect if you kept your foot in it the wind through the radiator would level off the temp at some point.

8. Hot Rod Jeep

I could run it hard on the highway and it wouldn't climb at all. I can literally watch it go up to 200 now, If it revs higher than 3-4 thousand RPM.

9. Quick

Yes, I'd agree with first checking your fan settings. or maybe the low speed fan has quit working completely?

10. sgtstanko

sgtstanko Want to go FASTER!!!

Jeep Specific

This is a Jeep specific problem..........Its the overflow tube that runs from the reservoir tank to the radiator neck. At the radiator.....push it in all the way and secure it with a tie strap....end of problem.

11. Hot Rod Jeep

I wish this was the end of problem. Did that today and still get spray and temp still rises and falls. Going to find someone to do a pressure check on the cap and cooling system. One more Question, the low speed fan comes on, but not sure if there is a problem with the high speed end. Is there anyway of checking to see if the relay for the high side is good? Just makes me wonder if the fan is stopping when it goes to high speed? Because when I slow down to normal RPM it cools down rapidly.

12. 1bad4dr

1bad4dr Mr. Meany

Many of us LXer's have had the High Speed fans go bad. You may want to have the dealer check?

13. Quick

Just set your low speed below your high speed below your T-stat.

If you have a 180/185 t-stat:

Wait for car to be cool/cold
    Set low speed fan at 170
    Set high speed fan at 175
    Start car, open hood and observe. :grin: