PT GT Performance

Discussion in 'GT Cruisers' started by PurplePTGT, Oct 16, 2013.

1. PurplePTGT

PurplePTGT New Member

Forgive me if I 'm doing something wrong but, I'm new to this. I recently picked up an 04 PT GT 5-speed. I am looking to do some cost-effective (cheap?) mods that I can do to eke out a bit more performance. I've heard that there are some fairly easy changes that can be made to the airbox and the exhaust that can make good gains at fairly low cost. All I've done so far are a K&N filter and muffler removal. I'd like to keep the noise level about where it is now, it sounds pretty sweet without being obnoxious. Where is there a good source for performance parts for these cars? I'm considering a stage 1 ECM and whatever else I'd need to do with that. Also looking at an MSD ignition coil and Vision Motorworks 9mm wires just to make sure the fire gets lit. Any suggestions?

2. loxmith

loxmith Recovering Post Whore...

For starters I'd suggest instead of stage 1, you should consider a Diablosports Predator or Intune...for the money it is much more useful investment than a Stage1 computer. You want to get the one for the SRT Neon...as it is compatible with the GT Cruisers. Also DO NOT get the MSD ignition! They have an extremely bad reputation for failing on the Neon SRT platform. And it you are going to be upping the power/boost...the first mod should be a wideband.

3. PurplePTGT

PurplePTGT New Member

Thanks for the feedback. Is there an ignition system you would recommend instead of the MSD? Also, what's a wideband? Thanks.

4. loxmith

In this instance a factory unit is the best way to go...

Google wideband. There are plenty of makes, but what it is, is a gauge that allows you to monitor your air fuel ratio's. The reason it's so important with a boosted car, is you want to make sure, when you are adding power(more boost) you do not want the engine to go lean.

Too lean = :blowup: engine.

5. nevinsrt

nevinsrt Getaway driver for hire

There should be a thread in this section that shows how to modify the stock airbox.

As Jason said above get a Diablosports Predator its more useful than a Stage 1. if you had an automatic i would then suggest the stage one along with the DSP. I'm not going into detail about it you can search and read on it if you wish.

Factory ignition system is great. if you do wish to upgrade to something then Granitille coilpack and wires can be found at Modern Performance for cheap $$$

Brakes id get Hawk HPS or HP+ (the + squeel alot but best stopping)

since you removed the muffler you have the same stock sound a NSRT has. if you remove the Cat converter the sound wont be that much louder. i'm old and my stright pipe doesnt bother me

if you uping the boost a wideband is a must. get an AEM Wideband they run from 180-200 last time i looked.

There is no after market Intercooler for the PT. i'll throw that one out there right away and save you hours of looking. I made a kit for the PT a few years ago but my wife at the time wouldnt let me install it so i got ride of it.

if your stock motor mounts arent shot to hell get some poly inserts also found at Modern. their cheap and work great. Unless you dont mind alot of vibration (also depends from car to car) you can get solid motor mounts.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2013
  6. nevinsrt

7. PurplePTGT

PurplePTGT New Member

LOL Many thanks. I do not want any mushroom clouds coming from under my hood.

8. PurplePTGT

PurplePTGT New Member

I'd like to do the airbox mod. Where does one source the tube and flexible couplers to make my own turbo to airbox connection?

Also, I understand that another choke point is the exhaust pipe from the turbo to cat. I don't really want to remove the cat, is there a way to improve flow through there like maybe a freer flowing downpipe and cat combination?

Lastly, how can I tell if my engine mounts are shot? I have noticed that frequently when coming out of a corner under moderate acceleration there is an odd vibration that I thought might be a CV joint or something.

Thanks for all the advice, I appreciate all you guys!

9. loxmith

I assume it feels like it's the front, since you are suspecting CV joint. Have you checked the wheel bearings, see it there is any unusal play in them? PT Cruiser are known to be hard on the brearing. (front especially)

10. nevinsrt

This site has the items your looking for. Exhaust
    The only thing you would need is for a shop to weld in a high-flow Cat onto your downpipe.

it could be anything from your joints, bearings, or just the way you drive. These cars to get away from the supddering and bogging down you need to keep the engine's RPMs above 2700. the turbo will beable to spool without any problems. There is also a thing called Part throttle boost. Its where you have the peddle between 25-75% down and you hear surging because the turbo's trying to get you full boost but your throttle body isnt fully open. Not a very good thing for the turbo.

if that isnt your problem then check the wheel bearings and CV joints and lower control arm bushings.

11. StillANeon

StillANeon Full Access Member

Great thread.

I just picked up a PT GT with a 5 speed. 05. It has the plastic intake manifold. Bone stock. I do have some questions.

So that airbox mod that was posted helps a bit? How much WHP if any you guys would guess? Or is it just one of those mods for better throttle response since it helps the airflow a tad bit.

-Do SRT-4 exhaust setups work for the PT-GT? I read the rear section has to be modified due to the spare tire thing, but that can be removed. Would love to keep it single exit. I also see people are putting 2.5'' exhausts on their PT's..Why not 3'' like the SRT-4? Even on stock turbo I believe the 3'' nets the best gains.

-What type of kits are people using to lower their PT GT's? I notice the rear suspension is not indepedent. Its got a big ol' beam and it doesn't have a macpherson strut setup back there.

-So any unmarried DSP will work on my 05 PT GT?

-What size injectors are on my 05? SRT-4 S1's?

-Why is it rated at 220hp when the SRT-4's are rated at 235 and put that to the wheels? I take it the PT's don't put 220 to the wheels?

12. nevinsrt

Treat it like an SRT but think outside the box on things that dont exactly fit.

Things you would do to a neon can be done to the PT except for the rear. Both PT GT/HO and Neon were rated at the same power 215/230 and 230/245. The turbo lites made 180 hp and tuned to run on 87 oct. Stage 1 injectors are the same as the neon 577. One way to find out how much it makes it to dyno it. I can tell you the PT did come with way more factory boost leaks then the neon. If you start attacking all the points like you would on the neon the extra ones stand out. Yes a DSP will work on the PT. Lowering it is the same as any car. Coilovers or lowering springs.

13. loxmith

So I can help with these two...

DSP...Yes, any one is supposed to work, however. When I tried to use it on my wifes GT Cruiser, back when we had one, for whatever reason, I could never get it to load onto her car. The folks on Diablo forums were supposed to be able to ad revisions to support the cars, if you sent them the error messages, but for whatever reason, I was never able to get them to fix my issue. Car is gone now, so can't tell you for certain if it ever got sorted out.

My wifes Cruiser Dyno'd 185 HP to the wheels, on the same dyno that my car pulled 220, but she had the autostick. I know that probably sucked up some of the engine power, but I couldn't tell how much of that difference was the trans or the engine.

14. StillANeon

Everywhere online it is saying the PT GT makes 215/220hp regardless of year.

Chrysler PT Cruiser GT - Short Take Road Test - Car Reviews - Car and Driver
    215hp for the ATX!? I thought they were all 180 too?

Chrysler PT Cruiser - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    This shows the 06+ geting 230hp.. And the 03-5 getting 215...

I was told the PCM isn't as aggressive as the SRT-4 hence the lower numbers. But the 04+ PT GT's got the same S1 injectors.

Well the rear end of the PT GT doesn't have a mcpherson strut setup, its got shocks and springs separate.

So would a 3'' exhaust net better gains then say a 2.5'' on a BONE stock PT GT? Loss on the bottom end where it won't be worth it? Everyone on the PT boards is saying a 3'' exhaust is over kill and will hinder performance. But all the SRT guys do 3''...But no one can provide dyno charts on a bone stock SRT-4 going with a full 3'' exhaust lol. There is slop in my shifter, I think I need some boogers.
    Maybe because it was an automatic? (DSP talk)

That is good to know about the numbers, what year was her's? And yes I am going to do an extensive boost leak test once we get some decent weather. :stars:

15. nevinsrt

Numbers are numbers dont worry about them or what you should make stock. No two cars are the same. The numbers should be close to that though. Yes the auto loses power then the manual. Lets not talk about the auto right now. DSP will work on the PT/GT. The neon and PT will never truly act the same. When people are talking about aggressive the neon is lighter and is more aerodynamic than the PT. I've always noticed the PT fall flat on its face when it hits triple digits. Its like pushing a brick though the air but under triple digits and when you have it running right its pretty damm aggressive.
    My old PT would pull my neon until 3rd gear then i would catch it and leave it in 4th at the 100mphish mark.

As i said treat it like a SRT. meaning all mods you can do to the engine this includes exhaust so that answers you question. If i remember you use to have an S3 NSRT. Mod it like you would that. Everything i did to my neon i did to my PT. There is a parts list in another thread that will answer the questions on what part fit and dont and where you can get the ones that dont.

Ill say it again treat it like a NSRT meaning moding it the same. Everything is there just in a different location.

Now for the Auto, You need to run the S1 PCM in junction with the DSP so thats why it didnt work for Jason.

Jason and I both had Cool Vanilla 05 GT/HO ATX's

Last edited: Jan 9, 2014
  16. nevinsrt

17. StillANeon

I still have the S3 SRT-4. Its chilling in my garage on jackstands waiting for the transmission and new clutch to go in it. :) Just do darn cold out. Going to wait til Spring.

Sweet, mine is a cool vanilla 05 but with the Getrag 5 speed.

Treat it like a SRT-4 Neon, right on. And great link with some good info. Thanks.