She's FINALLY FIXED!!!!!! (But which fan is it???)

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Electronic Modifications' started by SRTLUVR, Apr 11, 2010.

1. SRTLUVR

SRTLUVR Detailing "Go-to" Guy

Not throwing the code anymore. All relays are changed, and all is working well. Both fans kick on like a charm.....yet temps still got up to 230* today......
    Yes. However, that was BEFORE the fan assembly replacement, and before the relays were replaced.

Walker said there were some kind of "test strips" I could use to check for gasses in my coolant. I'm still scared this might be a blown head gasket. I just did an oil change, and the oil was purrrrrrfectly fine. But that doesn't mean it's not a blown gasket. So two questions: #1) What kind of head gaskets do we have on our cars?? #2) Anyone know where I can find those test strips, or ANYTHING that can determine wether or not I have oil in my coolant??

2. LegMaker

LegMaker LMI - LegMakerIntakes

too your point kyle, if the "glue" or "press job" of the plastic impeller on the pump shaft came loose, it could be getting stuck and not moving the water..... then suddenly catches for a time and the temps start to drop fast like chase was describing to me today. would certainly not be the first thing i would think of or trouble shoot, but seeing as he has address EVERY other option in the system, it is very plausible at this point!!

3. LegMaker

chase - i HIGHLY doubt you have a blown head gasket....... would run like shit, smoke, oil in coolant, etc.

4. Dookie

Dookie Foe twenny sics

x2...if oil was present in your coolant, and visa versa, you would know it easily with visual inspection...their is no mistaking it. But, FYI...our stock gaskets are laminated shim (best type offered) and .040 thick...i believe you can get Cometic brand for our engine at .060 or .080.
    I agree with you on the impeller, could happen, and if he goes through the trouble to see if that's it, i sure hope it is.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2010
  5. LegMaker

it am hoping it is as well kyle!!!

6. SRTLUVR

Well I'm not buying a fuggin third damn thermostat!!!!......well............unless I have to. :D

7. Dookie

Dookie Foe twenny sics

Did you test your current one pre-install??

8. SRTLUVR

9. Dookie

Dookie Foe twenny sics

link no work...but i'de forget head gasket dude...if your coolant level is staying put, you're good fa show.

Pull the stat out and see what happens.

10. Quick

Quick Mgmt. - I can't help you

Chase, this last time it went to 230 were the fans running before it got there? and did you stop and pop the hood to verify that both were running?

11. SRTLUVR

They're test strips for my coolant......At this point, I want to BE SURE!!! This whole fugged up situation has gotten so stupid and out of control, I don't want to leave any possibility open. There's more than one way for those gaskets to fail......

The last drive home, from the dealership, I spewed out a bit of coolant. So I just added about 16 oz. of coolant/water mix. I'll "burp" the system again tonight to make sure she's good there. But I won't have time to drive tonight, too many things to do, and I'm out of town the next two days. So it'll be later this week before I have a chance to troubleshoot this bullshit again........

Thanks again for everyone's concern. You boys are good as hell to me. And it's beyond appreciated. And on top of that, Walker (my friend/fabricator/installer) is taking this personal now as well. He's going to help me with the waterpump install off the clock, although I'll still pay him, lol.......does the front end have to come off?? Or can the water pump be replaced with just removing the catch can, TB, and CAI??

12. SRTLUVR

Yes! 100% FOR SURE. They were on at 204* which is the first chance I had to pull over and check!

13. Quick

Hmmm, it shouldn't be spewing any coolant...? wonder what that's from.

14. SRTLUVR

It's because it fuggin OVERHEATED!!!!! lol. That's why!!!! And it was at low rpm and low speed, just exactly what it's been doing.......

15. Bud

Bud GG EVO IX MR

Holy shit Chase....You're like fucking Momo with money!! LOL

How many God damned overheating threads do I have to endure! LMAO

16. SRTLUVR

Trust me, Rick. Experiencing this from the "inside" isn't any more fun than reading this stupid ass bullshit.........

17. Quick

I don't think so. It shouldn't spew coolant unless it boils over or it was too full to begin with and the expansion tank didn't have enough room for the expansion. It's not going to boil over at 230.

18. Bud

Bud GG EVO IX MR

You know I'm just busting your balls brother!! I get to jump on the forums for about 10-20 minutes a day here and there!! <3

19. Dookie

Dookie Foe twenny sics

No, not really, it's either they seal or don't.

No need to remove fascia, but you will need to remove what you said plus belt and fan assembly, take your time, and mark every bolt for location. You'll have to unbolt the inlet and outlet tube from the pump also, Be careful with the o rings there also. The intake manifold needs to come off...

Last edited: Apr 12, 2010
  20. SRTLUVR

Lol. I know Rick. You be safe at keeping US safe :D
    Shit, alright. I wonder if this can be done in a 4-6 hour timeframe?? But why in the hell does the intake manifold need to come off??!! Ah nevermind, shit, I'll find out soon enough. Just glad to know this can all be done from the top of the engine bay. When the time comes, I'll get a head start on it......