Shift Lockout Fix ('05 - '07) Discussion

Discussion in 'How-To/Tech Database' started by Quick, Jun 23, 2009.

1. budoboy

budoboy Full Access Member

I think I possibly didn't pull it far enough back. Don't know.

It gets much worse when I get angry:tropicalwind::viking::furious::chair::mad2:

2. Quick

Quick Mgmt. - I can't help you

I fixed it in the how-to. You've probably saved others.

3. StevoSRT

StevoSRT Moderator

my only issue came with this

[​IMG]

The one on the right gave me some issue getting off...but once that was off it was cake...cept my reemerging thing which i just was a dumbass...

I dont think he pulled it back far enough...you have to pull it back kinda far...then you can bring it forward when you disengaged the vent...then pull it up over the shifter....and throw it in the back seat lol....

4. albertojedi

albertojedi New Member

Excellent writing, but I'm still confused about the shifter PARK or NEUTRAL positioning during the tutorial. Since the beginning you instruct moving the shift into NEUTRAL, but all the photos along the tutorial shows the shifter in the PARK position. Also, if I remove the bolted cable while the shifter is in the NEUTRAL position, do I have to re-connect it with the shifter in the NEUTRAL position? If so, in which position does the cylinder needs to be? Your photos shows how the cylinder must be positioned when in PARK poisition, but not when the shifter is in the NEUTRAL position (which will be needed in case that the bolted cable needs to be re-attached with the shifter in the NEUTRAL position).

5. Quick

I replied to your PM. In case anyone else is confused here it is again.

The shifter needs to be in the neutral position to get the center console off. If it's in park (all the way forward) then you won't be able to lift the console off. Here's the catch. In order to have the shifter in neutral you have to have the key in the ignition and in the on position... So you're going to be listening to that dinging the whole time... I left it in park until I needed to lift the console off.

It doesn't mater what position the shifter is in when you disconnect the cable. What matters is that it is in the SAME position when you reconnect the cable. The cable has to be in the exact same position or it will be out of adjustment. Somewhere in there I noted that you should mark the cable so you bolt it back in the same position.

As far as the cylinder... It has a tab or two that interlock with the lockout mechanisms. You can figure it out from scratch but it's easier to just note the position of everything when you lift the cover off.

Hope that helps. If not, let me know and I'll review the write-up... it's been a while since I did that.

6. Drp6982

Drp6982 Full Access Member

I just recently followed your write up to change mine out. I couldn't do it in neutral..... I tried the key trick and pushed on the manual tab trying to get my shifter out of park but no matter what I did, it would not come out of park........ I had to disassemble the whole thing while in park

7. 1FST4DR

1FST4DR Supporting Vendor

All you needed to do was push on the park lock out and the shifter would have been able to get in neutral

8. Drp6982

Well, I fiddled with the pink plastic piece toward the back right, which did nothing. I removed the cables and tried to pry the plastic piece under the stick and nothing happened.

Either way I didn't have any issue getting anything apart with the shifter in park. I removed the Bezel, Ash Tray, Shifter Trim, and console......

Everything went smooth

9. Quick

Yes. The manual tab is only for overriding the key lockout. It was the brake lockout that was keeping it in park (you need both to get it out of park). It's the brake lockout that the pink thingie is for. So if your pink thingie was still intact you would turn the key to on AND press the brake pedal to move the shifter out of park. If your pink thingie was broken then you would use a screw driver or just push in on the cable going to the pink thingie to push it out of the way (because the spring wouldn't be connected to it to retract it when you release tension on the cable by pushing on the brake). Sounds like you got the console off and the job done without incident? I'm guessing you held the console up while removing the shift assembly? or managed to clear the shifter anyway?

10. Drp6982

yeah, the job went very smooth without incident

I tried putting the key in and pressing the brake but nothing was happening..... normally when you pump the brake you could hear clicking but nothing was moving.....I trying moving it with a screw driver but that didn't help. Its almost as if when it broke, it got jammed and wouldn't allow me to do anything. Because of this, I was worried that I might have another problem on my hands but got it apart, replaced the piece, and the car is working like it should :grin:

11. albertojedi

albertojedi New Member

Where is the video. I've seen one in youtube from Billet, but it only shows how to remove the pink part from the gate (console), not on how to remove the console from the transmission tunnel. The link is here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_QMSBpYThI&feature=player_embedded#

12. albertojedi

albertojedi New Member

I keep wandering what is the Blue Loctite thread locker for? Do I remove my stock shift knob just by unscrewing it from the shifter lever? Is this thread locker for filling the space between the shift knob and the shifter threads when reinstalling the knob? Is it completely necessary? Sorry for these too many questions.

13. SRT666

SRT666 Platinum Supporting Member

14. albertojedi

albertojedi New Member

Thanks SRT, but is it completely necessary to use the blue loctite. Why don't just screwing back the shift knob into the shifter?

15. albertojedi

albertojedi New Member

I need your opinions guys. I've been searching on all this pink thingee matter, but I'm not sure if that is the problem I have. Yesterday, when I turned on my car and shifted gears, I noticed that somehow the shifter got a little bit loose (like there is not enough tension to held it firmly) and when put into park I could not move the key into the LOCK position and hence remove the key, unless I tap (move) the shifter to the left side. In other words, with the shifter in PARK and pressed to the left side was the only way I could move the key to LOCK and remove it. This somehow seems related to the pink thing matter, but not exactly, because I can still move the shifter and change gears. Did anybody experienced this before? Any suggestions or opinions on what this may be?

16. SRT666

I never did. I have it for something else. According to the package it says "removable". It's the loctite BLUE 242 removable. I don't think it will hurt to put a little on and i don't think it will hurt not to. I wouldn't run out and buy a tube just for that but if you have some laying around......sure, why not?

17. SRT666

I cant say for sure but......i still have my console out of the car. I removed it for the "line lock" switch and the "cut outs" switch and still have to have a switch plate made. What has happened to me is the cable going to the shift mechanism has come out. I couldn't pull the car from P to D. After a few choose word....i think i made up a few new ones, i then noticed the cable out of the slot. Put it back in and the car was fine. I am not so sure that this would happen with the console on. For what its worth, the BT lockout is cheap and a little reassurance.

18. albertojedi

albertojedi New Member

Hmmm..which cable is that? The one named by the tutorial as the bolted cable (the one with rule type lines) or the one connected to the pink thing? I'm about to order the BT metal thing, but even though, I'm a little worried that this may not solve the problem with my shifter. The car is not stuck in PARK. The thing is that the shifter seems somewhat loose and has to be hold to the left when in PARK position, for the key to turn into the LOCK position.

19. SRT666

If i had the car here, i could run out and take pictures but it's in winter storage. I believe there should be only one cable going to the shifter. It has i white end i think with a black "tab" that you push into a slot to keep it in place. I am not sure about your shifter. Once you have it apart, you may find what you ar elooking for. Maybe something is just loose or came off? I don't know.Start with the BT lockout and work your way through making sure everything is tight and hooked up right. Maybe someone else can shed some light to what the problem may be.

20. Quick

Loctite:
    The stock shift knobs (at least in 2006 and I'm pretty sure 2007) screw on and have nylon inside the threads (no set screw). Like nylon self locking nuts. You wouldn't need locktite on that unless you removed it a whole bunch of times and wore out the nylon. Aftermarket screw on shift knobs do not have nylon lockers in them. For these you would want to use blue loctite. Especially if, for height adjustment or alignment, you're not screwing them all the way down.

For the wiggle and push to the left in park I don't know...
    When you had the top off the shift assembly case did you move any of that white plastic assembly? curved pieces that would sit right under the shift gate. Those have to fit together properly. That's about all I can think of that might do that.