Shift Lockout Fix ('05 - '07) Discussion

Discussion in 'How-To/Tech Database' started by Quick, Jun 23, 2009.

1. xcarnivalman

xcarnivalman 2007 Charger SRT8

Hi all,

THANK YOU for this site/info. So nice to know it's here.

I'm in the process of "fixing" my 2007 Charger SRT8. Got in and it woud'nt move out of park. I've read this whole thread and the entire (excellent!!) "how to" written by Quick (THANK YOU!!)

Here's my question:

Based on what I've read I'm thinking my problem may be the white electrical/mechanical "solenoid" that is operated by the key?

When I get in the car I can start the car, push the brake pedal and it won't let me shift out of park. However, if I pull the cable coming out of the white "solenoid" toward the back of the car the car will shift normally.

Shouldn't the cable coming out of the white "solenoid" go slack/release when I start the car and depress the brake pedal? It doesn't, I have to manually pull it? Or is the spring on the "pink thingy" what normally pulls the cable out of the white "solenoid"?

I don't want to pull the console and shifter assembly to remove the "pink thingy" if the problem is the white "solenoid" is not releasing the cable?

Please advise.

THANK YOU!!

2. xcarnivalman

To clarify, when I pull the cable out of the white solenoid, toward the back of the car, I DO NOT have too manually "push" the tab of the "pink thingy" back. It moves on it's own. That is why I'm thinking the problem is the white solenoid, because it appears something is moving the "pink thingy" on it's own??

3. StevoSRT

StevoSRT Moderator

Honestly, I'd just go ahead and replace it regardless if its the issue or not. Then you will know for sure and you wont have to worry about the dreaded "pink thingy" if it was not the issue in the first place. It really doesn't take long and is not hard to do. :good:

4. xcarnivalman

Hi Stevo,

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm probably going to do the "fix" rather than replace. However, that doesn't really answer my question. I guess what I'm asking is does the white solenoid release the cable, so the pink thingy can rotate, or does the cable in the white solenoid get pulled by the pink thingy and that tells the ignition it's ok to start?

THANKS!