Spark Plug Exchange

Discussion in 'How-To/Tech Database' started by The Toy, Apr 26, 2008.

1. The Toy

The Toy New Member

SPARK PLUGS:

I will admit that i was dreading changing the spark plugs. Its a helpful mod but not as "fun" to do as some of the other stuff. Plus, it just looked like a royal PITA. It actually turned out to be a lot easier than what i expected.

HOW TO:
    I think everyone knows how to change a spark plug, but heres a few tips i found helpful. First, wipe the dust off your coilpacks and using a marker label them from front to back 1, 2, 3(driver side) and 4, 5, 6(passenger side) for quick and easy reference. Disconnect each connector from the coilpacks and push the wiring harness aside...using a small pair of dykes cut any zip ties holding the harness to the coilpack(this is optional but youll thank me later). Use a torx bit to remove the coilpacks and let them hang down to the side in the cavity between the engine and the side of the frame. Remove the spark plug wires from the spark plus, but leave them attached to the coilpacks. The metal connectors will be VERY SNUG. I found the use of a small prybar against the side of the valvecover is a great way to get the leverage you need. Once all of the wires are disconnected set the coilpacks aside and remove the sparkplugs using a 16mm socket and 3/8" drive ratchet with small extension. I found a combination of 3 extensions to be perfect for this job...short, very short(1-1.5"long) and swivel head. Once all of the plugs are removed replace with the new ones. I measured the new plugs to have .40 gap and thats how i left them. I used a dab of anti-seize on each plug. Once your done reconnect everything in reverse order. Be sure to push the plug wires on all the way until you hear a "snap"(you have to push really hard). Leave the coilpacks off until all the wires are on. It took me about 2.5hrs, but i figure the next time will go by much faster.

REVIEW:
    I took the car for a spin and in all honesty i cant tell any difference(not that i expected to). The plugs should really help out in preventing detonation or miss fires when the boost is cranked up and the car is hot.

http://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=22326&page=2
    Post 27

written by 240M3SRT

Last edited: Apr 27, 2008
  2. Jeff Cobb

Jeff Cobb New Member

What is the gap on the stock plugs?

3. The Toy

The Toy New Member

Jeff, I think it's 39 but don't quote me on that. With a boost increase I've been reading about reducing the gap to between 32-35. When I find out for sure, I'll post.

4. Jeff Cobb

Jeff Cobb New Member

I did find this thread: http://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=23431

The gap is 1mm (=.039").
    Looks like smaller gap & cooler plugs are needed as we push the boost.