springs?????

Discussion in 'Wheels, Tires, Suspensions & Brakes' started by nellem, May 11, 2009.

1. nellem

nellem New Member

hey guys, i need some input on what i should get. i'm looking for something that will make the turn easier, lower the car a bit and make it a bit more stiff, is lowering spring what i need, if so or not what are the best to get

thank you in advance

2. 1bad4dr

1bad4dr Mr. Meany

Get with Mains. He has got the ultimate in Coil Overs for the Skittle.

3. nellem

nellem New Member

would it do the same to help me in launch better at the track??

4. nevinsrt

nevinsrt Getaway driver for hire

if you wanna make it turn there are a few options you have.

if you just want spring you gotta ask yourself how stiff do you want it.
    then look at the spring rates before you buy. the smoothest with a good drop are progressive springs. the stiffest are eibach

or do you wanna keep it stock height and make it turn better.
    you can get koni adjustables or tokico struts. with those you can adjust the damping while keeping it stock height. or use in combo with lowering springs.

making it turn goes way beyond just springs. you will need poly bushing all around and some good strut bars.

if your crazy into suspention get coilovers. there are different types of coilovers you can choose from.

height adjustment only
    height and damping adjustment
    height, damping, camber adjustment
    height, shock, rebound, camber, caster adjustment
    spring swap, height, shock, rebound, camber, caster, adjustment

now the more adjustments you have, the more you need to learn what they do because one bold adjustment will drasticly change the handleing of the car better or worse.

you need to decide what route your looking for, what driving you will be doing before you start looking at price. because you may not need every option.

if you looking to launch better you can do either spring or struts.
    adjustble struts you can increasing the damping that way the weight stays on the front wheels. then you can adjust it back for regular driving while maintaining your stock height.

5. nellem

nellem New Member

im sorry .... i explained myself wrong

im into drag racing .... im looking for a suspension set up to help improve my traction

I was wondering if i should look into coil overs, lowering springs, sport springs or what

i was looking eibach sportline springs .... would those fit the bill?

thanks again

6. Mains

Mains Pobody's Nerfect

remember when you are getting into suspension you need to consider not only the springs but the shocks.

I will take an example from my past where a good friend with an ACR was taking 10ths off his ET with the adjustments to his shocks.

You ultimately want to prevent the squatting in the rear so any stiff spring will help, but you will not help much as you move forward your weight moves backwards so if you have the same spring rate in the front as you do in the rear on stock shocks you will still be losing traction as you are just stiffing all 4 corners. The loss of traction may be small but it is still there.

Now one thing that plagued me was "Buy springs and shocks? Or buy coilovers" when I priced out the ideal setup in springs and shocks I was coming up painfully close to the cost of coilovers.

Now when looking at coilovers you want to consider everything you want them to achieve.
    1) If you want just for looks Mopar Stage 2 coilovers will do.
    2) If you want them to just adjust dampening and ride height then go with BC inverteds or Ksport Kontrol Pros without camber plates in the rear as you really have no need to worry about camber out back as you are not taking turns.
    3) If you plan on splitting the use between Roadcourse and Drag then spend the extra and get BC inverteds with rear camber plates/pillowballs or Ksport Kontrol Pros with camber plates/pillowballs out back. LCAs would be a good investment on this setup.

The key to drag racing is to make sure that your drive tires are always touching the ground, meaning you will want pretty damn stiff out back and fairly soft up front so as the body of the car lifts the front you want the tires to stay in contact with the road surface. No matter how stiff your rear is the center of gravity moves back when moving forward.

Import image has a great deal on BC's you may want to check them out. They go about a grand or so.

Ksports pick a vendor out of a hat and you are looking at about 900ish.

Remember when installing these do not be squimish. You may have to stab them in on the rears. When I say stab them you literally have to force the hats to sit flush against the towers, whether it is with a jack or putting the cars weight on it. They will make a horrid sound but trust me it happens and does no damage.

I did Ksports on my neon, love them!

hope that helps

7. kingnate

kingnate Full Access Member

Main's and his damn coil overs. They work great the install is just a bit "tricky"

Also if you go coilovers make sure you check if the tires are going to rub and buy spacers if needed.

8. Mains

Mains Pobody's Nerfect

or when you do install them make sure you understand suspension geometry either or.

9. kingnate

kingnate Full Access Member

Or just make sure who ever is helping with the install knows whats going on. :p

And make sure you have a gorilla handy cause some of the parts need convincing.

10. Mains

Mains Pobody's Nerfect

TOUCHE!

/lived and learned

11. loxmith

loxmith Recovering Post Whore...

I have the BC inverted C/O's and the intsallation wasn't that difficult. My "helper" had done a lot of local coil-over installs, and he commented more than once how easy the BC went on...compared to some of the others. :dunno2:

12. elders05srt

elders05srt Full Access Member

H&R spring set w/ Koni or Tokico Adj. rear struts and stockers up front. you can dial them up super stiff for the track and then dial the back to stock setting when not at the track. Coil over's are great for the adjustability at the track but if you dont want to mess with that crap the ADJ. struts are a cinch 10sec a corner and your dialed in.
    Or you can buy a set of Mopar springs (24mm drop) from the dealer and get the Tokico Adj. struts for another 1/4 drop and you'll be set up for both. (jk)
    :bs::bs::bs::bs::bs::bs::bs:

13. Sauce

Sauce Back In NY Baby!!!

my advice.......go with COs, springs for me were a little bouncy, granted i had springs on my old integra not my SRT-4, it left a bad taste in my mouth(no not the honda, the springs guys) anyways i got Meagan racing COs on my skittle and i love em'. CO's are adjustable, unless you get a basic non-adjustable damper in which case the ride height is still adjustable, springs.....well...you can't adjust them, it's like you buy a set, and if you're not happy with the drop...your stuck with em'. if you can't afford COs right now...be patient, dont waste the money on springs......like i say.....do it RIGHT....do it ONCE.....just my 2 cents