Still running hot after new t-stat & burp!!?!?!?!!!

Discussion in 'How-To/Tech Database' started by SRTLUVR, Jan 18, 2010.

1. SRTLUVR

SRTLUVR Detailing "Go-to" Guy

I DID THIS!!!! It was the first thing I did this morning. Nothing changed. So that's when I moved on to the other method. Twice!!!!
    Yes. I made sure of that. This problem arose BEFORE my tstat change anyway. It's what promted me to put the tstat in.
    Oh dude, I know. I never thought you were being condescending in anyway. Shit, I love the hell outta you bro. No worries at all. Honestly, I don't even know how to say thanks for all the support on this.
    ROTLMFAO!!!!! That's a wonderfully funny image!!!!!!

2. SRTLUVR

And how do I check the high speed fans on my Predator??? I don't know how to do that???

3. 1bad4dr

1bad4dr Mr. Meany

4. Dookie

Dookie Foe twenny sics

Lets look at it from a statistical POV.

Pump failures...none to my knowledge, but plausible, it does have a plastic impeller.

T-stat failures....few, but most are after 40k miles or so.

Air pocket...not likely because of the symptoms, it came out of nowhere.

Fan(s)...MANY, MANY, MANY...You insist they (both) are operating correctly, but have yet to confirm (to my satisfaction) that they are.

5. SRTLUVR

True. I understand where you're coming from, Kyle......

Okay, I just read Ron's thread on the fan settings from above. I changed the settings to his recommendations. I'm also gonna remove the t-stat right now, and then go for a drive before it starts raining. If I have the tstat removed, and still get the same overheating issue, then I KNOW it's the fans right???!! I'll report when I get back......or from my cell phone while I sit on the side of the road again!!!! :(

6. Quick

Quick Mgmt. - I can't help you

lol, ever the optimist... NO. Then you will know it's not the t-stat. :D
    Well, technically, there could still be something wrong with the t-stat but you will definitely know that something else is involved for sure. This is exciting though, you're providing us all the opportunity to play a game of Clue.

7. LegMaker

LegMaker LMI - LegMakerIntakes

chase - if by removing the t-stat and it still does it, you can assume it is either fans or water pump!!!! drive it..... if/when it begins to get hot, pull over asap, keep the car running, and pop the hood. feel the upper rad hose and see if the fans are on as well. like erik said a few posts back, if the hose is VERY hot and the fans are indeed blowing, but the air is hot, you have a pump issue. if the hose is not hot, and the fans are not working, you have a fan issue. that high speed fan is loud as hell when you have the hood open and are standing in front of the car!! can not mistake it!!!

8. SRTLUVR

Okay. Just got back. With t-stat out, I never got hotter than 174*. FUCKIN HELL YES BABY. So We know it's not the water pump then right??? And if anybody that's available now, would like to call me, my cell is 205-907-6214. I'd like to get this figured out today before the rain comes (in about 3 hours). So Dave, Kyle, Ron, Adam, ANYONE that can help, just call me.

However, because my temps never got to 184* (the setting I now have) my HS fans, never kicked on. So now, do I put the t-stat back in, and go for a drive again??? Oh, and when I pulled the tstat out (car was fully cooled), a lot of coolant came gushing out. Isn't that good? Doesn't that mean a big air bubble pushed it out?? Cuz when I replaced the old tstat a couple weeks ago, I lost ZERO coolant.....

9. Quick

Sounds good! Get a different/new t-stat, make sure it's in the right way.

Coolant gushing out when you replace the t-stat is NORMAL. It should be just about the right amount to hold in a 1 gallon baggie (about 1/2 to 3/4 full) which is what you were supposed to use to catch it when you broke the seal on the housing...

So the first time you had air in the system. This time it looks like you had it burped. Since it was bad before and it was bad after it looks like an issue with the tstat... probably... there's no guarantees but it's looking better all the time. Sure it's possible to get 2 bad t-stats in a row... but you got to wonder.

Do you have a meat thermometer? Take the old tstat that you just removed. rinse it off. put it in a pot of water with the meat thermometer on the stove an heat it up. Turn the gas on and off at the right times and watch it open and close.
    What temp does it start to open?
    What temp is it fully open?
    Does it fully open?
    Does it appear to operate fairly smoothly or is it sticking?

While you're at it, check the new t-stat too.

Here is a slim possibility. The pump may not be working well, it's moving water but not enough. The t-stat causes a restriction even when it's open. That amount of restriction could be the difference if the pump is not working at full capacity. Pretty slim possibility of just those set of conditions but just in case... we don't want you shooting up another load of smack.

10. SRTLUVR

The tstat I have is NEW. You're saying I should buy another one??? And just to make sure. On the tstat, the spring side, goes on the water pump side, and the "nipple" side goes on the radiator hose side, right?

11. Quick

I just edited my post. Read it again :grin:. It's possible to have a t-stat go bad. It's possible, although unlikely, to get a t-stat that's bad new out of the box (they ain't exactly crafted to space shuttle specs). Check it as in the post above. If you don't have a meat thermometer, water boils at about 212*? or you can use your finger. After you're done, wash the pot and meat thermometer or cook for someone else first. anti-freeze isn't exactly good for you.

12. SRTLUVR

Okay. Boiling water now. I found a digital meat thermometer. Gonna give this a shot.....how will I know. What part of the tstat opens up??

13. Quick

Haha, you'll know. It's a solid flat disk now, when it opens it won't be :D. It will also compress/uncompress that spring noticeably as it operates.

14. Quick

Well? It's taking too long. Sort of watch it out of the corner of your eye. If you stare straight at it, it won't happen. watched pot and everything...

15. SRTLUVR

Okay. It opened up. But not until over 190* and I did it twice. So it opens, just not til late......
    I'm gonna go down and change my HS fan temps to kick on at 160* to make sure they're coming on.....just to test it.

16. Quick

Hmmm, it's a 180*? which t-stat did you get? They shouldn't be more than a couple degrees off. I wonder if it's sticking? Did you cycle it a couple of times?

When you install it you don't have to beat it in with a hammer or anything right? just wondering if you're warping it or something if it fits too tightly.

17. LegMaker

LegMaker LMI - LegMakerIntakes

he puit in the same stant i just got. i tested mine before i put it in and it popped at 178 on my digital thermometer. you may have a bad one, or the wrong one buddy. would not be the first time i have seen the wrong t-stat in a box at the local parts store!!!

look at the t-stat..... it will actually say 180 on the center section within the spring......

18. SRTLUVR

Nope. No beating of the tstat, lol. Slid in just perfectly (that's what she said). I have the same stant #14248 that Chris has.....
    But check this out. I just set my HS to come on at 160* and at 167* they still didn't come on!!! So it's gotta be my fans failing......do you think I'm safe to go ahead and order this? Surely if I get a new tstat (again) and a new fan assembly, my problem should be fixed. Don't ya think?
    And. When I just came in from checking the fans, the upper rad. hose was hot, and the LS fans were blowing hot as well.

19. SRTLUVR

Nope. It doesnt say 180 on it anywhere. Chris, does yours have a bleeder hole for air to release??? Mine doesn't....

20. Dookie

Dookie Foe twenny sics

Yea, but he his temps are rising to 250...it's prolly just faulty. After talking with Chase, he wasn't sure he could hear the HS fan come on...I told him it's unmistakable and even did an impression...:)
    So I told him to set the HS fan at a lower temp like 160 and make sure it's coming on.
    Regardless, i'de go get anoher stat also. Sounded like that one was sticking.