Testing the K&W's video

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Velociabstract, May 23, 2011.

1. Velociabstract

Velociabstract Full Access Member

http://www.vimeo.com/24141626

I installed K&W Variant II's last week, along with new A-arm bushings, retuned the car ..... again. The tune is better but I still am down a bit on top end power. The AFR's are 12 to 11.8 at WOT. The K&W's are nothing like what I imagined. The ride on the street depends on the road. If it's good, the ride is better than stock. If it's a bad road the ride is firm but acceptable for all but girly men. Which had me worried, my priority was track worthiness. On the track the car felt the same ..... but different and faster. The 2011 Mustang GT with track package didn't want to be passed but after eating rocks for a lap I just powered by. The leader gets the faster line out of the corner so it's harder than it looks. The 350Z runs with Hoosiers and in the past have fallen back in the corners making it hopeless to pass on the straights. Poor guy used all the tunes on his computer. He couldn't believe how easily I cruised past him. The only down part of the day was the water temperature. It reached 240º after 15 minutes. It came right down when I backed off but I need to find a way to keep the temps lower. Enjoy the video.

Les

2. Quick

Quick Mgmt. - I can't help you

So... you were looking for a little compromise for street driveability right?
    For the top end do you think there is more tuning to be done? or maybe a cam?
    I guess the coolant temps are a good thing? haha, means you're able to push the engine harder with the KWs. What all is cooled with that. Does it run through the power steering? Do the 6's come with an oil cooler? What are you thinking about to address that?

3. Quick

What is this Vimeo thing... This new? Your previous videos have been professional quality. This looks like it's way down on resolution. Can you fix it. Your track videos are the best! It's like watching a death race video. hahaha, I think the full speed corner 3 feet around the open garage wall is a new one :). I can just imagine the mechanic working in there "if you hear too much squealing just jump in the pit".

4. Velociabstract

Velociabstract Full Access Member

As far as the video quality I think it's the camera. My original looks about the same. The darker the day the worse the results. I'm thinking of getting the new HD GoPro camera.

In the recent past the track was putting a chicane somewhere on the straight to slow people down but it was causing accidents. The problem they have is street cars like mine that are faster than a lot of the race cars and they've talked about eliminating track time. So far they need the entry fees too badly to do it.

I'm planning a lip/air funnel behind the bumper to force more air into the H/E and radiator. I'm running 75% distilled water in the H/E and stock antifreeze mix in the radiator, 180º thermostat and the fans come on at 185º. A higher water content in the radiator may help. A better fan may help. The man that's putting E-55 AMG engines in Crossfires uses a dual fan setup that I'll look into. No power steering cooler, it doesn't seem to need one. The stock setup has a small oil cooler sandwiched between the filter and the block. I run with the belly pan off the car in the hope of cooling benefits for the transmission and engine pans. No additional trans cooler.

Les

5. Quick

Did you see a difference with the belly pan off? Sometimes that stuff is counterintuitive. While the belly pan is there to reduce drag under the car, sometimes you will end up reducing air flow through the engine bay by removing it.

6. 96GTS

96GTS New Member

My dad runs 100% distilled water in his radiator (SCCA track car) and dumps a bottle of Royal Purple Ice (RP's version of watter wetter) in strictly for the lubricating properties. I will be doing the same w/ my Mustang once it is done...

7. Liza2

Liza2 New Member

What all is cooled with that. Does it run through the power steering? Do the 6's come with an oil cooler? What are you thinking about to address that?