Vinyl eyelids vs fiberglass

Discussion in 'Exterior Modifications' started by leeperryar, Apr 24, 2008.

1. leeperryar

leeperryar New Member

So, i'm looking into getting some S-Style eyelids for my car. I was initially going to go the vinyl route from Revolution Motorsports in case I didn't like the look after a while. However, I remember seeing some stuff about the headlights developing spiderweb cracks under the vinyl eyelids. Also, after time they can fade. Now i'm leaning more towards the fiberglass eyelids from srtdesigns.com

Any opinions? Can you comfirm if the vinyl eyelids do cause cracks on the stock headlights? What kind of timeframe does it take for the vinyls to fade?

Thanks!

2. master_1011

master_1011 The Man.

The headlights have also been known to still shine through the vinyl....

3. 1kysrt4

1kysrt4 New Member

I love my S-style painted eyelids.

4. Cygnus

Cygnus Platinum Supporting Member

You want fiberglass. Vinyl will fade/crack/peel over time.

Yes the vinyl will cause cracks on the headlights over time. When I removed my wife's vinyl eyelids the lens had cracks in it from the vinyl eyelids. Same goes for any rock reflectant material such things as Rock Blocker film will eventually cause the same thing. I had it on my fog lights... not even a year, used my foglights for about 3 months straight just on like Saturday nights and when I removed it my foglights had cracks in it and indents from the film. Any adhesive material will eventually cause cracks with heat.

5. Pizza Boy

Pizza Boy My Balls R 4 Sale

lmao...and i just bought the vinyl s style lids for my car...ill try them for a month or so but i guess ill toss soon after, i don't need any cracks in my headlights...

6. elders05srt

elders05srt Full Access Member

Its a little late for a reply on this post but what the hell......
    I have a set of cheap ebay vinyls in Red they are little more Orange than red and unless you know what you are doing and know how to install vinyls over the contours of the light your better off getting the Fiberglass. but for 12 bucks delivered you can afford a new set every 2 years or so. the light shining thought all depends on how thick the vinyl being used is. you get really thick vinyl no light but a b!tch to install.
    Bottom line - car shows get fiberglass. cool looks from 5ft away vinyl.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 30, 2009
  7. NOTPAID4

NOTPAID4 Platinum Supporting Member

My wife just ordered a set for her 05 Magnum today!

8. elders05srt

how do like your Magnum? Looking to replace the PT GT for kids (still fourth coming) with an SRT-8 Version. Wife wanted a jeep but im not paying for tires on on that.

9. NOTPAID4

I'd say I love 'em pretty good!!! We have FOUR MAGNUMS; an 06 SRT, and 06 SXT and two 05 R/T's and we love them ALL. Two are my wifes and two are mine. Believe it or not.....I traded in my 05 PT Cruiser GT convertable on my first mag; the SRT, (My PT was two years old and had 4,800 miles ~ loved that car ~ really peppy, but I refused to drive it in any bad weather just like I do with my SRT!) Have absolutely NO regrets, however, I did LOVE that PT Convertable!!!
    [​IMG]

10. MrBIGWORM

MrBIGWORM SIZE DOES MATTER! 505ci

:shok:Wow! 4 mags! WTF? Why? not that its a bad thing or anything like that...but 4? for 2people? haha

But I never was a fan of the headlights on the early model MAGs or the 06 -08 RAMs for that matter...Too big in my opinion...But the lids make them look much better! haha,and I was about to ask what is the purpose in lids! now i see!

But I do DIG the MAG SRT8! Its BAD to the BONE!:king:

11. NOTPAID4

Long story.... but the short of it is, bought the wife a used 06 SXT, 17,100 miles from a private party and drove it for three months and all Hell broke loose, dash lights everywhere, would start sometimes and not others ~ took to the dealer and found OUT this was a LOUISANNA FLOOD CAR, dealer said it wasn't worth fixing, finally found her another, got it, another dealer asked me to try to fix it... took it there... two days later got it back; running good. Then our close friend lost his job, needed surgery and HAD TO SELL HIS CHEAP.... i.e... NOW we have FOUR!!! Keep two for good ~ drive the crap outta the other 2!

12. elders05srt

I have a 98 R/T neon I just put a motor in. and I have my 05 SRT 4 in red (wanted white but could not find it until just after i bought the red car of course) w/ 34k miles single owner local trade in from the area i bought in & all stock. - but I flog the R/T everyday and the SRT gets about 500 miles a month and no rain.

13. ruffryder445

ruffryder445 New Member

i have had the vinyle eye lids for about a year now and have not had a problem with them or any kind of marks on my head lights .

all in the eyes of the beholder