Wideband install tips

Discussion in 'How-To Database' started by CentralTexHemi, Mar 31, 2008.

1. CentralTexHemi

CentralTexHemi PUNISHER

This is what I did to install my AEM wideband Air Fuel guage. This is just my version on how to do it, there may be better/easier ways but this is just for some who might run into a snag or have been on the fence about doing it but had no clue where to start.

The AEM wideband comes with a Bosch 02 sensor and an 02 "BUNG" that can be welded into your exhaust PRE CAT.

I went to my muffler shop and had them put the bung in as it is nearly impossible to do it on the ground much less by yourself. After the bung is installed I had them thread in the O2 sensor and zip tie the connector line up and out of the way (its just a few inches long). The bung is located just down from the front driver side 02 sensor IMO is a pretty good spot at an angle and to the side that way no moisture or gas will collect and fould the sensor.
    [​IMG]

Now your ready to wire in your guage. Follwing the install guide on wkjeeps.com for the kicker system they give really good details on how to take the center dash apart around the stereo and it is simple and quick and also how to remove the section right below the steering wheel.

FIRST there is a screw in the back of the cubby hole between the 2 power outlets get a phillips head screw driver and flashlight and its easily removed.
    [​IMG]

You do not have to remove what they are doing in this picture just the chrome looking outer ring but do use the putty knife so you do not scratch it up, just work it around and pull straight up
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now once that chrome trim piece is out of the way you will see two round hooks/holes at the bottom of the center bezel. Using the putty knife work one side of the bezel and pull on the hole (you can put a screwdriver in the hole to help pull but on the drivers side you may have to lift the hole a little bit to clear) Do the same for the other side and it will come loose. The yellow circles show where these hooks/holes are
    Now you do not have to completely take it off. From the driver side you can unhook the cigarette lighter power source and use that for your Keyed Power Source, use a T style tap or whatever your comfortable with as all you will be tapping is the red and black wire, the blue and white are for data loggin so I just cut them down to where they fall back into the sleeve.
    Now the only drawback that I have found so far by using the cigarette lighter is that the guage will pull power from it so if you are using a radar detector and use the cigarette ligther for power source it messes with the radar detector so move it to the other side.
    [​IMG]

Okay now you need to drop the power wire that connects to the 02 sensor and find a place to run it thru the firewall. There is a plug in the firewall just right of the engine block up high the plug pulls out easy. The guage end connector will fit thru the hole, drop it in and pull enough in to where you plan on installing the guage, then take the 02 sensor end and run it over the brake boost to keep it away from the hedders and steering column. I ran mine as far back agains the firewall as I could then if you look down the other side of the brake boost there is an area between the jeep and the back side of the fender well, drop it thru there and connect it to the 02 sensor.

There will be alot of extra wire just bundle it up (I had about three bundles) and you can stuff the excess thru a hole down there.
    [​IMG]

You will need to fill in the hole at the firewall or cover it up so nothing gets in I had some extra damplifier pad from a stereo install I guess you could use a little expanding foam and paint it or shave down the plug that was in there and push it back thru or be redneck and use duct tape.
    [​IMG]

Okay lets run thru the check list.

1.Bung installed-check
    2.Wired in the Power and Ground-check
    3.Found a place for the guage face-check
    4.Ran the 02 sensor reader power wire thru the firewall to connect to the back of the guage-check
    5.Ran the 02 sensor reader wire down the back of the fender well and connected to the 02 sensor, zip tied all loose lines and secured-check
    6.Pluged in the power source from the cigarette lighter to the back of the guage-check

Okay thats it put the center bezel back together and snap back in the chrome ring around the shifter and your done.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2008
  2. CentralTexHemi

CentralTexHemi PUNISHER

Oh right below the steering wheel there is that cover right where your knees are if you feel the top of it there is a lip there just pull down on it hard and it snaps out and will dangle down, no screws to remove, you can also take it off the swivel

[​IMG]

3. GGreek5

GGreek5 Olimpiakos

Dude. :clapping::clapping: :friends:

Thanks Wade.

4. Quick

Quick Mgmt. - I can't help you

Nice Wade. Just a note for those who do it one piece at a time (Johnny Cash). If you get your bung installed and aren't going to get the rest of it done for a while you should just plug the bung instead of leaving the sensor in there unpowered. They have really nice bung plugs that screw in there or I think I heard that an old spark plug will fit just fine. The sensor needs to be heated (taken care of by the controller) or it will foul after some time. Another note on the sensors. You can use never sieze or the likes on the threads but be very careful not to get anything like that on the sensor itself. It will ruin it.

5. CentralTexHemi

CentralTexHemi PUNISHER

Excellent advice :worthy:even AEM suggests the same thing. The bosch 02 sensor had some anti-sieze already on it out of the box

6. Patrick G

Patrick G New Member

Same place I welded my O2 bung. Looks good.

7. billyboys

billyboys Full Access Member

Great write up..I will be using this info..Thanks

8. CentralTexHemi

CentralTexHemi PUNISHER

Man I'm glad you said that I was waiting for someone to say otherwise but judging from previous experience that seemed to be the best place

9. Quick

Probably the ideal place. At least 24" to 36" down stream from the exhaust port and in front of the cat.

10. GGreek5

GGreek5 Olimpiakos

Wade, this should be made STICKY!!!

11. CentralTexHemi

CentralTexHemi PUNISHER

Is your installed I wanna see

***moved to how-to database****

12. Quick

13. GGreek5

GGreek5 Olimpiakos

My friend was changing out the Tranny fluid, (got a 2.5 gallon jug of the Amsoil, thanks Wade) also the oil, and he's fixing the rear spring isolators. They're squeeky.
    I'll get some pics up when I pick up the beast. I'll probably be posting every 10 minutes with questions about my a/f numbers. lol.

14. CentralTexHemi

CentralTexHemi PUNISHER

I wont be on but you can call me heading home

15. CentralTexHemi

CentralTexHemi PUNISHER

This is where I mounted it simply using good double sided sticky tape underneath the guage (it works and will not move). I like it here as its right in front of you and if you ever need to video for tuning all your guages are together. It is not blocking any other guages or backlights etc. The wires will come up thru the area where the Hard Plastic OEM guage cover and the gray plastic lip will pull apart enough to fee the wire thru to plug into the back of the guage.

[​IMG]

****EDIT****

If you Chose this location to hide/run your wires from the bung be careful in placing in this area:
    There will be alot of extra wire just bundle it up (I had about three bundles) and you can stuff the excess thru a hole down there.
    [​IMG]

This is the lift point for some floor jacks mine was a bit torn after having mine lifted a few times, simple fix to just relocate it just wanted to give a heads up.