09 corvette zr1

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ALABAMA MSRT8, Jun 3, 2008.

1. Kevan

Kevan SRT-10 Owner

You'll be thankful for that "embarrassing wing" at about 140 mph.
    Don't travel 140? Pull it off.
    Don't know the difference between a screwdriver and a donut? Call me. I'll pull it off for ya. No charge.

I do like the wheels on that gray ZR1.

If you think maintenance on a Viper is bad, wait until you hear how much the ceramic rotors and pads are for the ZR1. Holy year of kids college payment, Batman!

2. Bud

Bud GG EVO IX MR

The tracks don't know the difference Vortech boy! LOL

3. DRKNE55

DRKNE55 The Badguy

lol, bullshit. i drive 140 all the time and dont have a gay ass wing on my trunk. thats a ricer wing plain and simple. look at other high perf sports cars, none of them have something that retarded.

not many folks will be using it as a DD, so i doubt rotors and pads will be used up that quickly....though i have no doubt they will be expensive as hell. they are in fact the same rotors and calipers used in the enzo ferrari.

4. Kevan

Kevan SRT-10 Owner

Yeah....I see what you're saying. Very ricer.
    Just like these:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Looks like a menu from Tommy W0ng's, right?
    :grin:

5. Prof

Prof Cantankerous Old Fart

Some really hot iron in those pics!

6. loxmith

loxmith Recovering Post Whore...

The ZR1 is nice...but I wouldn't spend the money. You could probably get 2 Z06's for the price of the ZR1, and they look the same, minus the top mount intercooler. If I'm going to spend $100k on a car it should at the very least stand out in a little bit. Love it or Hate it, the ACR stands out. You won't miss one of those in a crowd.

7. Prof

That probably says more about you than most would ever say about themselves...

From the Chicago Auto Show this spring:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And notice the smile on the blond to the right of the ZR1...is it my imagination or is she pulling her jeans down???

Last edited: Jul 18, 2008
  8. SRT8

SRT8 MoPower

+++++++++++++1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IMHO!!!!!!!!!!!!! :beerchug:

9. nevinsrt

nevinsrt Getaway driver for hire

yeah the Challenger!!! :woot:

have faith boys we'll see the Challenger woop up on the vette!!!

10. Viper Specialty

Viper Specialty Dr. Viper

DRKNE55-

You are obviously a diehard LSx guy, so I will give you some handicapp points and not argue pointlessly with you over the chicken or the egg.

However;

1. FYI, the ACR *DOES* come with Air Conditioning, and can be ordered with the Radio group if you dont want it deleted.

2. Your comments about the LS7 platform and adding a blower to it dont help your case so far as knowing what is really going on behind the scenes, and the reasoning behind the changes. The LS7 is not the answer, in any way, shape, or form. Do a little reasearch on the LS7's power handling capability so far as BIG power is concerned, and I am by no means talking about forging the rotating assembly. You will quickly see that the lifespan to power ratio is inversely proportionate with a MAJOR run downhill in a hurry.

3. I dont want to beat this to death seeing as it isnt the point of this thread, but there is NO comparison between the Viper V-10 and the LS based engines so far as streetability, power, and lifespan is concerned. Your arguments about the "weak" Vipers I find hilarious. Perhaps you are just a little bit more used to having "tree-stump pulling" gears in the back of your car that give you the illusion of being "fast"? Centrifugal blowers for the most part on any LSx angine isnt going to hold a candle on the lower end to any Viper, even a bone stock one. Find me an LSx that even makes over 400 ft/lbs at 1500 [hell, maybe not even 2000-2500] RPM without Nitrous, let alone 600-700+ as can easily be attained by a Viper, that runs as flat as a table all the way to redline. Besides that, find me any street driven 1500+ horsepower LS based car, let alone one that drives well, and also let alone one that can run a normal lifespan between rebuilds.

I am going to head back to eating dinner on my torque curve now. Hopefully your soup doesnt spill sliding down yours... LOL :beerchug:

11. ALABAMA MSRT8

ALABAMA MSRT8 Full Access Member

there was no weak vipers period.vipers have been kicking vetts azz since they came out until the c6zo6 arrived.

12. DRKNE55

DRKNE55 The Badguy

what is big power to you? 800rwhp? because that has been done time and time again friend. hell, my uncle runs a 427tt thats almost 6 years old and i would put it against any viper out there on a track.

i understand your penchant for your vipers. i also understand that viper regularly loses when they compete with the corvette team. when was the last time viper won at the american le mans??? oh, thats right, 2000....when they were running the gts-r. the car that i am a fan of. when i drove the 99 i was seriously impressed at its sheer power and tq, but that has gone away now with dodge trying to civilize it as a corvette competitor....something it failed to do miserably.

i did not know you could get a radio or ac in the hardcore package. i thought it was either everything or nothing.

the gears do suck on my ls1, that is why i had it replaced.

youre trying to move the subject to tq for some reason. i understand that the 10 makes more tq and prob always will than the lsx motors, but my friend, tq is only part of the equation.

13. DRKNE55

DRKNE55 The Badguy

negative, c5 corvettes have been wiping the floor with them since 2001 in the racing gts/gt1 circuit. thats the american le mans.

14. turbosocks

turbosocks srt n00b

my dad can beat up all your dads.. take that.....

anyway, would be a hard decision for me.. i would probably choose the ACR . I like the looks of the ZR1 better though.

and it would depend if i ever had that kind of money what i wanted the car for.

if i had 100k, i would probably buy neither of them, and get a regular viper or a z06 and make it completely one off.

15. Prof

I took a closer look...she is not pulling her jeans down...but that does look like a post orgasmic expression on her face...

[​IMG]

But I am often wrong...

16. Viper Specialty

LOL... here we go off topic.

First off, your uncles 427 is NOT a production LS7. Sorry. Big difference.

800 RWHP? haha... that is for beginners at best! SRT-10's will almost hit that with a Paxton and Pulley, and live pretty long even on garbage stock internals. No, no... to even think about running with the big dogs in the Viper world you had better be laying out WELL over 1250 horsepower to the wheels, and to have a fighting chance at records, you better be over 1600 to the wheels. And the kicker? The fastest Vipers out there are almost all 100% streetable, street trim cars- with all the bells and whistles still in there. Most of them drive like a bone stock car off boost, and most of them can still kick ass on a road course with a change of wheels/tires. Hell, the fastest Viper right now in the 1/4 is a full street trim street driven car that still has IRS, A/C, Radio, you name it... and runs 7's in the 1/4. I am sure you know which car I speak of. Try that with a Vette... let me know how it goes.

You had to bring up racing...

Dig deeper my friend. The Viper started losing right around the same time the Corvette crybabies started bitching, and they imposed restrictor plates and weight penalties that would make anyones jaw hit the floor, PREVENTING them from winning. Oh, THEN what happened? The Corvette got even faster, but none of the restrictions on the Viper were lifted!

Fair? WHERE AND HOW?

Its amazing how much advertising dollars gets you behind the scenes... something Chrysler for one has not grasped to say the least.

I just dont know where you come off thinking that the 1999 was any faster than the newer cars? Stock for Stock and Mod for Mod, the SRT-10 will absolutely wipe the floor with any Gen-1 or Gen-2 car from 1992 to 2002, I am not seeing where 99 is "faster" anywhere, you must be misinformed. Hell, 99 is identical to 02 other than ABS and the cam/piston selection, but its rated at the same hosepower regardless. All changes in that respect were done for EPA changes, nothing else.

I moved the conversation to Torque as you said the cars felt "weaker", which I explained is an apples to oranges comparison considering that the torque of a Viper will make itself much more apparent than any of the LSx engines, so I dont know what you think you are feeling. The gears are a HUGE part of this equation- do you know that the Viper is a 3.07? That is EXTREMELY tall compared to ANY LSx car, let alone the 6-spds. Run them next to each other however, and you will see that gears are just a "feeling", the power behind them will run you down regardless. Vipers do feel weaker than they are as a result of the gearing... but you will realize what is going on as you almost click triple digit speeds by the end of second gear.

Dont get me wrong, I actually LIKE some Vettes. I am just not a big fan of the "OMG! Corvette! *DROOL* Bestest Car Ever!" mentality, especially from the other LSx guys [not that I am saying you are one]. Those people believe ANYTHING that GM and the Rags out there tell them, never thinking for a moment about how much money gets pumped into that coffer by GM to keep the BS going. I can liken it to the "please dont rain on my parade" logic as many of those guys are looking to "move into" a corvette, but most of them have a preemtive strike philosophy of "I am going to rain on YOUR parade before you get a chance to rain on mine".

17. DRKNE55

DRKNE55 The Badguy

i truthfully thought they redid the stability protection to allow for a novice driver to launch the newer vipers easier. i am not a pro by any stretch, but i can tell you that it took me many, many times launching that 99 gts to get it not to shred the tires each and every time. that to me is power, i couldnt care much for numbers (aside from the obvious) but 500hp is 500hp. you either get that to the tires or you lose it somewhere in between.

personally, i think drag strips are for the less talented drivers. when i say track, i really mean the track, ie infineon. somehow i really doubt the vipers youre talking about (1400hp) are of much use out there with their mickeys on the rear....lol. i would be interested to see how the acr fairs against the time a geek engineer put down in the zr1 the other day at nurberg or however you spell it....

i def feel you on the triple digits in first gear, we took a used srt10 on a run outside of vegas a couple years back and raced it against a ferrari 360 we had also rented. i was amazed with its broad power in first compared obviously to the shift happy 360. i will tell you though, the srt felt like a slug in comparison.

18. Kevan

Kevan SRT-10 Owner

19. Viper Specialty

-Vipers do not have stability control. Never have, not from day one. You are on your own, period.

-Yes, it was a *tad* easier to break the tires loose on the 92-02 cars, but that was due to the smaller overal rear tire diameter, nothing else. The later cars make more power, more torque, weigh less, and have the same transmission, gearing & clutch.

-The whole point of my second group of thoughts was circuit racing, not drag. My drag response was only to your horsepower comment. As far as actual racing, they Viper is still restricted, and until someone gets them lifted, its not going to winning much of anything. Its a shame, but its what happens when a large advertiser starts crying.

-Chrysler doesnt seem to care much about The Ring, which is also a shame considering it is "the benchmark" today. I guess its up to them to get an ACR over there and test it, but its certain that it will post an incredible time, so long as they dont pull the same crap they did years ago. Hell the SRT-10 was never even tested at the ring in DRY weather years ago... but no one ever mentions that when looking at its times... Ironic? hardly, it sold magazines at the time to say that so and so beat the Viper on the ring, with no mention of an apples to apples DRY time comparison.

-I have stopped reading many magazines, I just cannot stand the bias on them anymore. For example, the last Car & Driver that had a PERFORMANCE SHOOTOUT between 4 cars or so, the Viper being one of them. The Viper beat the snot out of the other cars in EVERY single other car in all performance categories. (and I mean DEMOLISHED them) Did it win? No. they came up with some lame excuse about trunk space, cupholders and no rear seats... and gave the win to another car. Typical, lame, the usual.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2008
  20. SRT8

SRT8 MoPower

The one w/the most $$$ wins, not always the best/most innovative. IMO.