2 Year Old Girl Killed By Burmese Python

Discussion in 'The SRTConnection Lounge' started by DragginWagon, Jul 1, 2009.

1. ChargerGirl

ChargerGirl Mama / DB Geek / Driver

How do they enforce these permits? Do you have to present the paperwork before purchasing the animal or is it one of those things where they only look for it after something like this happens?

2. budoboy

budoboy Full Access Member

Cats kill plenty of native birds and reptiles but no one bans them. Cats are a pretty damn destructive species when you think about the fact that they kill for fun, unlike snakes which might eat every week or so. Also alot of people generally kill snakes (of any type) on sight while the same folks will feed 50 strays in their neighborhood so they can continue to make more strays.

3. Bud

Bud GG EVO IX MR

People who go out and think "hey, I think a snake would be cool as pet"....are in fact DORKS! Who the fuck buys a snake? Kinda on the outskirts of what is an acceptable social norm! Just saying! LOL

4. budoboy

What eats dogs and cats in cities and suburban areas? Maybe a coyote? All the big predators have been killed off except in the wildest of areas in the US.

Burmese pythons in the Everglades are eaten by alligators, birds, large fish and whatever carnivorous mammals live out there. They eat all sorts of snakes. Maybe not the 15' ones but how many of those are there.

http://www.chemilab.net/gallery/d/26-5/IMG_6399.jpg?

People who like snakes.

I don't own any snakes but I've kept them as pets. Very easy to care for and fun to watch feed.

Who buys a pitbull? Who buys a Chihuahua? Who buys a fucking car that has more horsepower than anyone really needs. I thought this was a free country:usflag:

5. Bud

Bud GG EVO IX MR

Yep, it is! Free to be a weird fuck! Pitbull's are for criminals, chihuahua's are for guys who don't like cats and live in California in townhouses (LOL), and snakes are for dorks! LOL

6. DRKNE55

DRKNE55 The Badguy

chinese, koreans and vietnamese. im not kidding either, my buddy is vietnamese that i work with and he tells me where to eat and where not to....

all fun aside, dont fool yourself. we arent talking about suburban america, we are talking about nature and her ecosystem here. large snakes are a definite clear and present danger to that fragile environment.

cats kill plenty of native birds? are you fucking kidding me? show me a cat that climbed a tree to kill a bird or violate its nest? please, if youre going to come with an argument, at least make it make sense.

lets talk reproduction, a cat may have a litter of 8 at the max, what is the output of a female python over its reproductive lifespan?

i guess it stems from a need to handle penis. rick, being part of the EQ im sure you could relate.

(pssst...ive got a baby boa im willing to let you play with. hes quiet at first but gets rowdy.)

7. budoboy

I have a hard time believing pythons are destroying an ecosystem which I would hardly call fragile. There are lots of big mean creatures there already that have to compete with each other. This isn't some isolated island filled with flightless birds and slow-moving tortoises.

As far as cats eating birds. Are you kidding me? You've never seen a cat catch or stalking birds? If you've been anywhere around cats you'd know they kill birds and anything else they can get their paws on.

http://www.users.bigpond.com/berrime/wildcats.htm

http://www.abcbirds.org/abcprograms/policy/cats/materials/predation.pdf

http://www.umext.maine.edu/onlinepubs/htmpubs/7148.htm

Took a minute to google "cats killing wildlife" and these were the first three hits. Obvious issue.

As far as breeding, kittens almost always live to adulthood whereas the majority of baby pythons in the Everglades become a meal for birds, other snakes, fish, alligators, raccoons and the Sasquatch (look it up!)

Interestingly enough Burmese pythons do seem to be prolific breeders. I read an article that said they can breed after only about a year in age. It also said they lay between 12 and 100 eggs (I assume the 15 footers lay the big loads). Cats on the other hand have 2 to 3 litters a year of 4-6 kittens. They also are ready to breed after only 9-12 months.

I've been reading articles about Burmese pythons getting to be 27 feet long but then read something that anything over 19 feet could not be verified.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2009
  8. DragginWagon

DragginWagon Full Access Member

Its a new law Tam, less then a year old. I haven't had any of the snakes that require this new permit in about 6 or 7 years so I haven't even bothered to check into it. I also do not plan on having any of those snakes anytime soon until my daughter is much older. It takes a lot of room to house a large snake properly and thats something I just don't have for now, not to mention bringing home large rabbits for feeders and my daughter wanting to keep them as pets.

The kind of people who buy snakes can be allergic to pet dander. They can be the type who enjoy quiet animals. They can be the type that like having a pet that does not require daily attention. They can be the type that like coming home and not finding an accident on the floor. They can be the type that enjoy not having their furniture and house and clothing destroyed from an animals that likes to chew or claw everything. Snakes are quiet, stay in a cage and only have to feed once a week. You could go out of town for a week and not have to have someone come over and take care of them while you're away. If that makes me a dork then so be it. :thumb3:

9. DRKNE55

DRKNE55 The Badguy

haha, ok point taken. lets kill off all the wild cats too....oh wait, we already do that. :zorro:

10. Quick

Quick Mgmt. - I can't help you

No, that's not what makes you a dork. :rofl:

11. DragginWagon

DragginWagon Full Access Member

im cool with that, but keep your cooties to yourself! :p

12. Bud

Bud GG EVO IX MR

I wasn't going to say it...but!!! LOL

J/K

13. LegMaker

LegMaker LMI - LegMakerIntakes

hey asshat..... i own a pitbull.....does that make me a criminal????

hold on........... my damn ankle monitor is beeping again.....:getlost:

not going to say what???? that you are dork??? :shifty:

14. Bud

Bud GG EVO IX MR

Did you ever question that? I always perceived you as a fairly observant person. But if you have to question it, I'm not so sure anymore! LOL

15. ABMResto

ABMResto Muscle Car Rx

I like snakes... they're DELICIOUS!

16. budoboy

No need to hunt the cats, we'll just bring in very large snakes to eat them ... :hmm:

Well if the snakes get out of hand we can always bring in Australian salt-water crocodiles, polar bears or genetically modify great white sharks so they have feet. Problem solved!:beerchug: Wasn't that simple:whistle:

17. 1bad4dr

1bad4dr Mr. Meany

bwahahahahahahaha LOVE the red.

18. Bud

Bud GG EVO IX MR

ROTGLMAO....that wasn't by design!!! But, funny none the less!!! LOL

19. slow4dr

slow4dr Resident Pessimist

Some people have been trying to ban Pit Bulls and other breeds for years.

Just to level the playing field you should probably also post a statistic of how many pet dogs vs. pet snakes there are.

My dog has bitten someone before, this particular person grabbed my wife in an aggressive manner and the dog defended her. Because of this it makes me wonder how many of the statistics above have similar stories.

I love all kinds of animals but there is a huge difference between having a dog and a snake that size as a pet. Much like aggressive breed dogs a snake owners must take extra precaution around children. There's no excuse for these parents and I hope they do get charged.

20. DRKNE55

DRKNE55 The Badguy

i love it when shit works out in the end.