Deadly SRT8 crash on the Van Wyck Expressway in NY

Discussion in 'NorthEast' started by Spyder9071, Dec 9, 2007.

1. Spyder9071

Spyder9071 Coors Light Silver Bullet

2. 1bad4dr

1bad4dr Mr. Meany

I hate to hear of these kind of accidents no matter what kind of car it is...

I am truely saddend and my thoughts and prayers go out to ALL of the individuals and their families..

3. LegMaker

LegMaker LMI - LegMakerIntakes

very sad to see this happen......but lets take a second to think about something...... would any of us make the conscious decision to buy a 17 year old son a 425 hp car?????? i am truly sorry for these parents loss, but i seriously question the car choice for such a young and inexperienced driver....... my son jokes as though he will be getting my car when he turns 16 in a couple of years. no way that will ever happen until i know he can handle a car like this. hell, most adults do not know how to handle a car like this, let alone a 16 / 17 year old kid.....

4. Cheatek

Cheatek SRT once, SRT always

My thoughts and prayers go out to all the families affected by this horrible tragedy, especially this time of year. But as a parent myself I have to wonder about the logic involved in buying a 17 year old a 425 horsepower car. I know it's easy to critisize after the fact but I recall all the stupid stuff I did back at that age and if I had had a car that fast I would have killed myself for sure. It also goes to show you all the state of the art saftey stuff built into new cars these days (antilock brakes, traction control, esp, side air bags, crumple zones, etc.) still won't prevent this kind of horrible fatality. I feel for the family but I hope other parents out there contemplating this kind of gift for their teenagers might reconsider. I would never get a car like our SRTs for my kids when they become teenagers, ever. A nice 4 door corolla or golf for a first car is just right. A 425 horse hi performance car is just asking for :stretcher:

5. ChargerGirl

ChargerGirl Mama / DB Geek / Driver

Yeah, always sorry to hear about stuff like this. If anything our kid(s) are getting either a new caliber or similar little slow ass mopar or they can drive Marc's lexus if it's still around. They will NOT be getting an SRT, even if it is like twenty years old. :happy:

6. TNCHARGER

TNCHARGER Moderator

Sad news....just crazy to buy a 17 yr old a car like that...even if the kid was a very prudent driver he would be bombarded by his friends wanting to see how fast "it" will go or how far will it lay rubber...peer pressure can be overwhelming..

7. Spyder9071

Spyder9071 Coors Light Silver Bullet

I wonder if he was speeding up on the off ramp going around the curve with ESP off. Or would the slippery roads from the snow and ice be enough to wipe out with ESP on?

Regardless, it's a sad story, and I hope this just becomes a lesson to younger people and even parents as their kids start to drive.

8. Sauce

Sauce Back In NY Baby!!!

man, i'm sorry to hear this......this sucks.....it always sucks when someone passes away, regardless of wether or not he was driving like an asshole 2 people are still dead that's the bottom line, this shouldn't be a thread to bash the parents for deciding to buy their child a gift, maybe they could've used better judgement i'm sure but regardless in this world shit happens provoked or not.......my condolences to the families and on a side note....i'm from NYC and i've always HATED driving on the van wyck....

9. LegMaker

curtis - exactly my point earlier.......... young drivers jus do not have the skills to drive a car like these. no matter the level of responsibility a son / daughter can show us, the temptation is much too great, not to mention just the reality of a mis-step of the right foot onto the gas instead of the brake can have drasitic results. these cars are just to powerful..... yes curtis, this kids poor parents are going to agonize over this for a while i'm sure......

10. LegMaker

sauce - i don't think any of us are bashing the parents, just pointing out the fact that it is a dangerous mix of young drivers and powerful/fast cars....... the sad fact is two kids are dead for what some of us think may have been avoided, but who knows, none of us know exactly the conditions or if the driver was cut- off, etc. just sad to see this stuff period....

11. Cygnus

Cygnus Platinum Supporting Member

I agree.

High horsepower vehicles are not to go in the hands of young drivers.

Its sad what happened.

12. StevoSRT

StevoSRT Moderator

They were coming back from New Roc City which is right by where I live...this is a VERY VERY common story and sadly enough...goes unnoticed by teens and their parents...hopefully someone learns something from this...

13. Raland

Raland Full Access Member

I noticed there was no mention of seatbelts. I've punched my crash test dummie card quite a few times, and that looks like a very survivable accident with seatbelts unless they were really moving. Ditto on parents NOT giving 17-19 year olds SRT level cars.

14. BillsHoe

BillsHoe NOT NEW 2THIS TRUE 2THIS

The Van Wyck Has A Broken Pipe And Has Been Leaking Water For Over A Year Where You Switch For Cross Island Hope They Didnt Hit That It Would Of Been Ice

15. mrssrt10

mrssrt10 New Member

Think of the temptation we all face everyday, and we are adults! Most of us can control that temptation, but even for the few who do not have self control would still know when it is safe!

There has to be a lot more to the story that the aritcal did not cover. There are way to may un answered questions regarding the conditions of the roads, driver etc. Still, very sad to hear....

16. StevoSRT

StevoSRT Moderator

pretty standard of the news coverage up here...and everywhere i suppose...unless there is a BAC to report they wont go back to it most likely...

17. mrssrt10

mrssrt10 New Member

Actually, the local news here does not know how to let stories go. They will report a tragic death, accident whatever then talk about it for the next two weeks. I just don't get it!

18. Cheatek

Cheatek SRT once, SRT always

I fully agree with you Chris and as a fellow parent I feel I'm qualified to make the statements I did in my post. I'm not bashing the parents as others suggest, I'm just questioning the logic of putting a 400+ hp car in the hands of a 17 year old. I remember being that age and all the crazy stuff I did. It's not just the temptations but also the peer pressure, I'm sure the driver was egged on by the, "what'll she do?" requests. We all know the score, how addicting that right pedal is under our foot, imagine being 17 years old in car full of friends! Yikes. It's all very sad. :sad:

19. nevinsrt

nevinsrt Getaway driver for hire

Wow that sucks

20. StevoSRT

StevoSRT Moderator

sadly enough...they will probably have another one to report on next week here...

and oddly enough...today there was an article in the paper about the increase in deadly accidents due to more powerful and "safer" cars making people feel invincible...especially teens in "suped up cars" as they put it...teens should be given geo metros or some other glorified go cart when they learn to drive so that they cant do 150mph on the highways during the day when they can and most likely will kill someone...