Grey poupon, soft hats and burberry: Pick a German luxo cruiser!

Discussion in 'The SRTConnection Lounge' started by JarZ, Jun 10, 2011.

1. JarZ

JarZ Certified Magnumaniac

Which one is your favorite if someone twisted your arm to choose between the pinnacle of German luxury cars? I've purposely excluded VW and Porsche. VW isn't in the class of luxury as a brand and Porsche only really has the Panamera as an option so that excludes it, also because it's still extremely expensive even as a used car.

7 series
    A8
    S-Class

Which one would you choose as a daily driver - say a five year old model that has lost enough value to be reasonably affordable? Each of these has MSRP's from $70000 and well above.

RWD performance and handling with BMW
    AWD superiority and high tech with Audi
    Ultra luxury and prestige with Mercedes-Benz
    (they all really have "it all")

They're all phenomenal cars, but each it's distinct from the other two.

2. BLACK1

BLACK1 Head Monkey

I just detailed a 1996 Merc S600 this week.... It had 255,XXX miles on it. Ran flawlessly. And that's a V-12.

When you sit in the back, you feel like Mikhail Gorbachev or some dictator or something. They are truly awesome machines. Miles of leather and suede. :rock:

I've owned two Audi's (well, a TT Quatro and a Porsche Cayenne)... they were both colossal pieces of sh*t. I've owned 9 or so BMW's and wouldn't buy one newer than 2002. Although, my folks just got their 11th BMW (a 2011 X5 twin-turbo V8) and it's a nice car. But, they've had it for a month and it's been to the shop twice already.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2011
  3. ChargerGirl

ChargerGirl Mama / DB Geek / Driver

Mercedes

4. 1bad4dr

1bad4dr Mr. Meany

BMW + older = Fail

Audi, anything older than two years is junk. I LOVE Audi's of today and would consider one as my next dd, but nothing older than 2009.

Mercedes FTW.

5. HalV48

HalV48 They Call Me Patron

With age, the S class hands down.

6. DadsSRT8

DadsSRT8 Crusin in Mag

I have had 5 BMWs... the new ones do take some TLC as all cars do nowadays (imo) and if you do not keep up on them with regular maintenance.. they can turn into a POS.. My current 330I and M3 do very well and ride like new.. the 03 330 (82K) is showing some signs though (seat bolster). My 03 M3 (41K) gets more attention.. but I track this car at least 4 times a year..

My SRT has had 3) set of ties.. I heard there was a recall on the rears wearing out.. but I cannot locate the TSB.. 3 sets of brake pads.. & over 20 oil changes in 5+ years of ownership

For a typical DD vehicle the bushing and suspension pieces usually go away by 40 -50 K if not sooner on most newer vehicles. Belts every 30 K and fluids are not life time - regardless of what anyone says.. and how often you analyze it..

filters (fuel, cabin, tranny) I do every 2 years as well as the radiator fluid regardless of mileage

Oil filter obviously every time .. but I change my oil every 4 months or 3 K (yep only 25 on my MSRT).. Now that I drive my SRT a little more conservatively (for the most part, well except for the occasional track day) I hope this car wil llast well over 100K w/o anything major going away. I guess we will see..

I have seen BMW M5 E39/E40, Merc E & S class, VW gas & diesel with over 250 K on them and they run like new.. cannot speak for the Audis.. But I have also seen some at 50K that need to be sent to the bone yard.. i guess it depends on who own the vehicle and how well they stayed up on their maintenance.