Launch!

Discussion in 'The SRTConnection Lounge' started by Speedy, Jun 15, 2011.

1. Speedy

Speedy Blown by Speedlogix

Ok, I may have a small talent for roadracing, but dragracing has never been my thing, partly because I have never had a car worth launching...
    Anyway, thought I´d give it a shot at some point and tried launching the other day, and of course made a complete arse of myself.
    I know not to nail it from a standstill as it will just produce two loooong black lines and a lot of smoke!
    Anyway, stickshift, in first and stalling at about 2.000 rpm, maybe 30 % throttle and lift of the brakes, the car goes sideways, shortshift to second and nail it!
    It takes off from that point but dang those OEM tyres suck!
    This was done on a long strait with no traffic, so a prepped track should grip better, any idea for when to change into second?
    First will just spinn out anyway so I cant get into boost until I hit second, but too little rpm won´t produce the power I need.
    If I manage a mid 12 I will be more than happy!

Fredrik:stars:

2. Chuck466

Chuck466 New Member

Those stock tires won't hook on a dragstrip period, and don't take the traction control off either, it will just blow the tires off at any point you stab the throttle,

I just set my tranny in 3rd, put my sprint booster on green, didn't stall it up at all and rolled out at full throttle it is a little boggy for the first 60 ft. 13.20's were my average times, I know it's much faster then that, but there just isn't much you can do on a street tire, good luck:D

3. StevoSRT

StevoSRT Moderator

No OEM tire, using OEM PSI levels will hook. I know haha.

My 60' times were in the low 2's with "normal" tires...even NT05 Nitto's with the PSI dropped.

I got some MT Drag Radials, and while it still takes some finesse, my 60' times went from 2.2 to 1.6x.

Not that helpful on the street, but to "launch" the car, thats as good as you can get with a blown SRT.

4. Speedy

As its blown the tractioncontrol goes "Ewhaaaat?" if I stab it in first, no way it can control it.
    Dropping the tyre pressure a bit might help, just did a few more tests and the problem is keeping it just before boost in first, as soon as it hits boost I hit second and nail it, that works as long as I have gotten far enough up the revrange.
    What pressure would you recommend?

Fredrik:baby:

5. Dookie

Dookie Foe twenny sics

If you are just playing around and want to MPH the car, you can get a 'decent' 60' with OE street tires. Drop pressure to 20 PSI in rear. Fully disable ESP Stall it to about 1500, when you see the third yellow light, let off brake, but do not increase gas pedal at all, let the car roll out about 10-20', then gradually but quickly increase gas pedal until you reach the floor. If you're retaining traction there, next time do it a little quicker...you will have to play with it to find that sweet spot.

If you want to get more serious, buy some 20" Nitto NT05R's, you still won't be able to stick it off the line, but you can get those 60's down to a 1.6.

Wanna get real serious, ditch the 20" stock wheel, buy some Cobra R 17 x 10 wheels, add some M&H's and stick it off the line under full power. 20" anything isn't going to hold 500RWHP.

Good luck with it, it is fun and addictive, as is any challenge you conquer.

6. Chuck466

Chuck466 New Member

I have tried as low as 20 lbs, with no luck I just leave mine at 24 for road or track

7. Speedy

I´ll just have to play around a bit, the problem is that as soon as I get boost in first it instantly breaks traction and produces smoke, fun, but not very fast!

Fredrik:)

8. 1bad4dr

1bad4dr Mr. Meany

You could at least warn him to upgrade the drive shafts before changing over to DR's. sheesh.

9. Dookie

Dookie Foe twenny sics

Ah well, if he don't know that by now, shame on Fredrik.
    Have fun playing bud, light em up!

10. Speedy

I´m not, I repeat, I´m not going nuts like you guys, new (street) tires and new breakpads, maybe try a roadcourse but I have other plans eventually...
    I´ve said things like this before.

Fredrik:D

11. Chuck466

Chuck466 New Member

LOL I'm the same way, if I didn't already have a 8 sec. street legal S-15 I would be dumping all kinds of money into my Charger, I can't say that I don't want to, lol my pockets are itching real bad to get a Kenne Bell super charger, but rearend upgrades are probably most important

12. StevoSRT

StevoSRT Moderator

even on street tires just be aware that axle breakage can happen under the right conditions lol

13. ChargerGirl

ChargerGirl Mama / DB Geek / Driver

Well, there's no chance of me ever being within like 3000 miles of him when he drag races his Magnum, so there's one less chance of him breaking a halfshaft.

14. 96GTS

96GTS New Member

S15 as in Nissan Silvia/240SX? Interested in seeing pics of your 8 sec street legal car. I know of some 8 sec street Mustangs, but all are 80+mm turbo and 1K+ rwhp...