M3

Discussion in 'The SRTConnection Lounge' started by MotherMopar, Aug 10, 2009.

1. StevoSRT

StevoSRT Moderator

its something you have to accept when modifying a vehicle.

we are asking these cars to do something they weren't designed to do...handle HP they weren't meant to produce.

Eventually somethings gonna break...the love hate is dealing with it when it breaks so you can love it again when its running perfect.

So if modifying a car is not for you (which it seems like it isnt from the bad experiences) then maybe an M3ish like car is for you...something with "out of the box" craziness...

but....honestly...how much will you ever use the M3 (or any of these monster cars) to their fullest potential?

is it worth paying $65k for a car that has MASSIVE performance if you drive it on the street (funny that I AM asking this LOL)....

just food for thought :)

2. Bud

Bud GG EVO IX MR

Steve, I've found 08 M3's for $49K. I think that's palatable!

3. StevoSRT

StevoSRT Moderator

that works lol

my buddy i work with paid $77k for his....but he has every possible option lol...

i am a fan of those "type" of cars (M3, AMG....)...they just arent for me...i like modding :)

those cars really arent "un-modable" per say but if i had one...i wouldnt want to mess with anything just cause i wouldnt want to...

All about what your lookin for in a car I guess :friends:

4. DadsSRT8

DadsSRT8 Crusin in Mag

Now modding the M series can get you into some serious money.. ie M5 stage 3 Dinan package is $50K but you will have over 600 HP and handling dynamics that don't quit..

I know stupid money.. as compared to our cars..

5. StevoSRT

StevoSRT Moderator

yeah i have talked to C love about it....

hes got an M6 and loves the craziness but too much MOULAH for me haha

6. MotherMopar

MotherMopar The One, The Only... MOMO

As for modding an M3... IMO, it defeats the purpose of buying a car that's basically a thoroughbred from the factory (unless, of course, you are quite rich).

I started perusing the M forums for kicks... there are some reasonable mods, but honestly, other than Dinan big $$$ things, not a whole lot to be improved I guess... even the stock intake on the M3 is supposedly dang close to being as good as it can get. The only major thing folks are concentrating on 'over there' are brakes/pads. Brembo big brake kits specifically.

Apparently, the stock brakes see some fade on multiple track runs. That's the 'big' issue to them... and I'm sure BMW didn't put crappy brakes on their cars to begin with.

I loved the thrill of modding. It was like a drug. But it bit me in the ass pretty good... and I'm not mechanically inclined enough nor wealthy enough to fix the shit repeatedly. Damnit all. These 'one time' fixes were taxing enough (in many regards).

So, from MY perspective, if I was going to get another performance vehicle, it'd come from the factory the way I'd like it to be... that way I don't get into the same trouble I did.

**My son keeps saying: 'Dada, truck!'. Maybe that's another sign of the direction I should take! LOL

7. Stretch

Stretch Silver Supporting Members

Check out the stage I,II and three turbo kits for those things.... don't know the price or the reliability, but over 900 hp has got to be nice!

8. MotherMopar

I'm sure... along with another blown engine! Vortech doesn't have anything to do with those kits, do they? LOL

9. DadsSRT8

DadsSRT8 Crusin in Mag

Jason,

some of the Dinan parts are offered by "select" BMW dealers and are covered under warranty... check out some of these vids start with the V10 part..

http://www.dinancars.com/bmw/audio-video/videos

This guy/engineer is over the top very very critical when it comes to developing his product.. especially some of the technical details .. like the speed of the bit when boring the block.. and adding a former builder of Indy car power plants.. to watch over his engine builds... they spent over 2 years just developing the process before they came to market..

yes as Dinan says it is a little pricey when compared to some other vendors.. BUT it includes a 4 year 50K m warranty... don't know of too many vendors who back their products in this manner..

Now if I can only get $150 K together to buy a new M5 and drop it off to Dinan... well I could sel the house and live in a rental... but where would I keep the SRT...

wonder if likes Hemis???

Last edited: Aug 14, 2009
  10. MotherMopar

That's similar to what Vortech promised... and we know where that went! ( :chair::stretcher::rip: )

I know Dinan is TOP notch stuff, but no way I'd pay $800+ for a packaged tune!!! Check this out below... it goes to show how well the M3's engine is tuned at stock...

Dinan E9x M3 Engine Software raises the factory rev-limit from 8400 to 8600 RPM*, endowing the V8 with a broader power band and greater road speed potential in each gear. The software also removes the top speed governor, enabling the cars to attain their ''natural'' top speed; and the V8 will pull right to red-line in top gear! Changes to the throttle mapping help soften throttle tip-in for a sportier feel and improved modulation capabilities. The combination of Dinan's re-calibration of ignition timing, fuel delivery, and cam timing produce a maximum gain of 9 hp @ 6000 rpm and 8 lb-ft @ 6000 RPM. Peak horsepower is increased from 414 to 421 at 7900 RPM. Rev-limit raised from 8400 to 8600 rpm in manual mode only for cars equipped the M Double Clutch Transmission. The rev-limit is unchanged for the M-DCT in automatic mode.

9hp and 8lbft gain. Wow! Sure, it does some other good stuff, but the power gains are minimal. Like I said, a testament to how the car comes stock, IMO.

NOW.............. HOLY SHIAT! That V10 M6... OMG! :mouth::shok::blink:

"200 mph from a standing still... in one mile..."

Last edited: Aug 14, 2009
  11. Quick

Quick Mgmt. - I can't help you

You're just hating because he requires a mechanical aptitude test before he sells to you :eek:oh:

12. MotherMopar

Ha ha ha.... asshole! LMAO!

13. Quick

Quick Mgmt. - I can't help you

Don't make me find that pic of you high centered on the speed bump...

14. Bud

Bud GG EVO IX MR

Well, I've been considering getting an '08 M3 DCT for a while now. I was also considering getting a '08 STI. That was until my wife said she wouldn't drive it, or ride in it! I was thinking of her when I considered getting it. It would cost $25K less. But, I'd much rather have the M3...and if she's o.k. with it....I am, LOL! I'm going to be deployed for 10 months the next year and when I get back I'm going to start shopping! But, before I go, I'm going to throw some new Toyo's and brake pads on the car for the wife!!

15. MotherMopar

I was shocked when you told me this earlier... SHOCKED! LOL

You'll need to get some skinny ass tires for the front of the M3 however, to keep it legit.

LMAO!!! *Flame suit on*

16. Bud

Bud GG EVO IX MR

Seriously Jason....I will throw some skinny's on the front and some slicks on the rears....and throw a 200 shot on her just to make sure it gets the respect it deserves! Never mind the "entire" auto/racing industry....(excluding NHRA, and "north" American car forums), I think this car has potential!

17. Stretch

Stretch Silver Supporting Members

You'll have plenty of money saved up at least!

18. Bud

Bud GG EVO IX MR

Ten months of unspent bonus, paycheck, tax free, imminent hostility, family seperation, and per diem will give me a nice down payment. WooooHoooo!!!! Sleep tight everybody!

19. MotherMopar

Well, since you put it that way...

20. HalV48

HalV48 They Call Me Patron

How come you guys never got this excited about our cars?