M3

Discussion in 'The SRTConnection Lounge' started by MotherMopar, Aug 10, 2009.

1. Stretch

Stretch Silver Supporting Members

Momo is not a REAL American... something about being born with a German knockwurst in his hand or something like that.... thus the craving for a German made car...

2. MotherMopar

MotherMopar The One, The Only... MOMO

Let's compare: Charger almost got me divorced because I was so fired up over it and modding...

The M3: wife has barely noticed I've even liked it.

Summary: I'm no where near as excited about the M3 as I was about the Charger. Difference being my charger is back to stock despite $1000's because I got sold snake oil and believed the salesman!

3. DadsSRT8

DadsSRT8 Crusin in Mag

Hal I do & have been exited about our cars as well... now I have a MSRT & love it to death... ergo on 20K miles and about $5K in upgrades.. suspension mostly, brakes, tires plus the Dialbo.. (to me a must have for the SRTs)

Dollar for dollar the SRTs are a great value..

Now I desire to also have M3 (E90) or if I can swing it without putting me in hawk for next 40 years (pushing 60 now & don't think I will live to be 100 and really do not want to saddle my off spring with any financial obligations when I slide over to the other side) I would love to have a M5

Now if i come in to unexpected fortunes I would have M3 for a daily driver, M5 with the Dinan package for long drives, a Chally for cruising around and keep the Mag because i like it so much (yes i plan on keeping it until I am senile, well more senile anyway)..

4. DadsSRT8

DadsSRT8 Crusin in Mag

Oh and I forgot... at least one Viper...

5. MotherMopar

Now that's a man with what I call vision!

Like he said Hal, its not that I'm not excited about our cars, its just that I realized the HARD way that I am in no position to mod vehicles, financially, emotionally, literally time wise, nor mechanically... so while I still love my Charger, it has been a long lesson learned that in order for me to have in a car all that I desire, I'll have to look elsewhere in the future, other than our beloved SRT lineup.

I LOVE the power, but also other aspects of driving dynamics... I want something very well rounded, and while the SRT's are well rounded, there's room for improvement, and I'm no longer modding vehicles to get to 'the' point where I'm satisfied. It'll either come from the factory to my total liking, or I won't buy another performance vehicle.

With the blower, I got hooked on "MORE POWER!"... to compensate for other things I wished the car did better (handling, luxury)... and it bit me in the ass. I'm dumb for even trying.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2009
  6. Stretch

Stretch Silver Supporting Members

We still love you Momo... know matter how many times it took you to pass the third grade.... BTW....isn't it past your bedtime? ....or are you on a steakout peeping in Hal's window again...?

7. Bud

Bud GG EVO IX MR

Momo and I went to a local BMW dealership for him to take a test drive on a 335i (twin turbo). There was a 2008 M3 on the lot and Momo asked if we could take a test drive...but have Rick drive it because "I" (Momo) am a bit rusty at standards. I drove it...."almost" wish I didn't!

I am beside myself with the way the M3 feels, drives, handles....Jesus!

I have done almost everything possible to make my car handle at an incredible level....but the M3 is in a class with Porshe 911's and GT-R's. I'm slightly bummed that the full bushing replacement wasn't anything Earth shattering. The sways, coilovers, strut tower braces made a much bigger difference IMO.

I think Jason was setting me up so I will get one now...since he will more than likely get the 335i. I think he envisions us wearing ascots and hit up wine drinking, meet-n-greets! LMAO

8. ChargerGirl

ChargerGirl Mama / DB Geek / Driver

I'm speechless...but not totally surprised.

9. Bud

Bud GG EVO IX MR

The "ascot" part huh? LOL

10. ChargerGirl

Yeah... I mean I respect the craftsmanship on the BMWs, I just fear that its like when moms drive minivans, it changes them. Which is I guess where the ascots and brandy snifters come in. :)

11. MotherMopar

Rick it was a setup from the start... Lol. Ascots? What's wrong with ascots?!?! Lol

12. 1bad4dr

1bad4dr Mr. Meany

setup or not, the BMW is a well built machine for road driving. You will be disappointed in the power though. You think our cars are expensive to mod? BMW is worse.

Oh, and unless you get into the 5 or 6 series, the 3 series has no room for passengers.

Maureen has me looking at the S550 Mercede's. Yea, AMG or nothing. WTF? lol

13. ChargerGirl

Yeah, if I get too old codgery for the SRTs, I'll be eyeballing AMGs. :)

14. HalV48

HalV48 They Call Me Patron

Cindy has wanted an AMG for several years.

15. Quick

Quick Mgmt. - I can't help you

Rick. They're ...small...

16. ChargerGirl

Haha...

Momo: "Does this bimmer make my butt look big?" <insert pic>

17. 96GTS

96GTS New Member

I drive my buddies on occasion. It's not the new one, but the last gen w/ a Vortech blower (getting re-tuned today actually). Car is an absolute blast to drive. I can only imagine how the new models feel. These pics are from the MFest calander shoot and were before the Brembo GT brakes...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. MotherMopar

Hey folks...

Rick's thinking M3... sick puppy! LOL While I didn't drive it, it sure as heck felt SUPERB... and, it felt faster than either of our SRT8's, from a SOP standpoint. Talk about road manners?!?! WOW!

I'm leaning towards 335i. A 2009 if possible.

I never SERIOUSLY considered a BMW... UNTIL I drove Rick's wife's car. Hard to explain, but the overall "feel" of that car was, simply put, AMAZING. How you felt sitting and driving in the thing was beyond my wildest expectations. You felt very connected to the car and thus the road. It handled like it was on rails (Richard Gere, Pretty Woman) LOL

Seriously, I now know what all the hype is about with those German machines. No body roll, totally solid handling manners... yet, the ride was VERY comfortable. No jolts, harshness, nothing. More luxurious ride than my Charger, yet, handled 10x's better. 10x's is not a total exaggeration. I took an on ramp at 60 during a BMW test drive that I'd never take in my Charger above 45-50... not even a blip of tire squeel or noticeable body roll. Fantastic handling car.

I love our Hemis, but for OVERALL driving... my goodness, I fell in love.

As for modding... no more for Momo. That's one of the attractions of the 335, especially. It's relatively quick and there's ZERO handling mods I'd even consider. Its a complete package. Did not feel as fast as the SRT8, but pretty darn close... quick enough to get the adrenaline going a bit. I'd call it very spirited acceleration.

As for size, yeah it's smaller than the Charger, but plenty big enough for a baby seat (or two, in the future, possibly) for weekend jaunts to the country or the local stores.

Plus, the BMW warranty, even on used BMWs... good grief. What a deal... oil changes, brake pads, rotors... I mean holy smokes!

I'm not a mechanic (as if you didn't know that), so that extra insurance with the warranty is a good selling point. I can keep my cars clean as a whistle, but that's about it.

Plus, I believe the wife will enjoy driving the car... she doesn't really like driving the charger (never has)... just "too much car" for her to feel comfortable in I suppose.

I don't know. I'm NOT rushing into it and I'm not going to "fixate" on this purchase. Just take my time, do the research and let things progress "naturally" with this decision.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2011
  19. ChargerGirl

Eh, to each their own. You and the Charger never really seemed like the best fit.

20. Quick

Quick Mgmt. - I can't help you

Oh c'mon Tam. He's trying to make himself feel good about this and you're not making it any easier for him. Be supportive, encouraging and positive. The poor guy is already going through separation anxiety. Both have SRT8s, Ricks getting a Raptor, Momo is getting a 335... and for crying out loud, the guy's got no hair. Be a little more sensitive.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2011