Polished/Port Intake Discussion

Discussion in 'The SRTConnection Lounge' started by TNCHARGER, May 13, 2011.

1. TNCHARGER

TNCHARGER Moderator

Anyone here have a ported intake on their 6.1 (or 392 or 426)? Any physical analysis such as dyno or track comparisons? Do you also have ported heads? Long tube headers?

2. 1bad4dr

1bad4dr Mr. Meany

Check CMW's section or their website. I have their Stage IV heads. Used to have their ported Intake, but my Techco replaced that. lol

3. Dookie

Dookie Foe twenny sics

Larry, my intake is extrude honed then hand finished baby butt smooth throughout.
    It is still 85-87mm throat (stock diameter) and matched with a BBK true 85mm TB. I do not have any comparisons with before or after type thing...I did dyno stock at about 360 RWHP then after that 6.1L build with heads, cam, LT header and exhaust with this intake manifold, it went about 420 rwhp after.
    Sorry, no intake manifold only stuff.

IMOH, It may be worth 10-20 RWHP, and that's being gracious. The stock manifold flows very well N/A...so well in fact, the aftermarket can't beat it or even equal it in performance on the dyno. (at least to my knowledge)

4. TNCHARGER

TNCHARGER Moderator

Will check it out..thanks.

My former 06 Charger was like yours..it made about 355HP stock. After heads, cam (Comp 273), B&G tune, Magnaflow exhaust (stock shorty headers) and hiflow cats it made 398. Wonder how much the LT headers contributed to your ~20HP more than mine?

5. King Savage

King Savage Nasty Canasta

I have an extrude-honed and ported intake Larry, and I dyno'd 468hp/488tq without it and 477hp/493tq with it...different dyno and different tune. Another thing is they were a year apart and there were easily many factors that could have accounted for that difference.

I have quite a few pics of the intake with the bottom removed if you need to look at them.

6. TNCHARGER

TNCHARGER Moderator

Thanks Jon...I have seen pictures before.....a different dyno and tune could change things quite a bit so no way to know if it did you any good...did you go to a larger TB with the intake?

7. King Savage

I did. It was the ground back beyond the manifold O-ring thing as the 90mm TB has an O-ring built in it's face. The throat was opened up accordingly.

I had the 90mm TB before with the stock intake so all I did was swap intakes.

8. TNCHARGER

TNCHARGER Moderator

did you think the 90mm TB was worth the cost?..

9. King Savage

I have nothing to base any suggestion on bro. I had my 90mm TB way back in the beginning when they first came out. Since then, there have been a few people that have tried to see what difference larger TBs can make, and you have probably searched this out.

If I had it to do again, I think I would use a ported stocker or one of the other various cheaper versions compared to the $1000 I spent for mine.

BTW, when I first had my 426 installed, my car was an embarrasment in any parking lot. Light throttle in D or R caused huge surging and usually stalled. Once Bob Crespo got his hands on it and tuned it right, it was as good as stock. I know the TB was one of the many insurmountable obstacles included in my original tune.

10. LegMaker

LegMaker LMI - LegMakerIntakes

larry - i am pretty sure i had responded to this thread, but my post seems to be gone so i will reanswer.....

i have a ported intake. i picked up roughly 20 rwhp after the install of it with my current set up. the only change from one dyno to the next was the intake. i am running stock exhaust manifolds with a corsa exhaust. it was a mod that i was pleased with after i did it. i do not run a larger tb because i just do not see the advantage for a f/i car.

11. King Savage

I agree 100% Chris.

As for a N/A stroker...I FEEL a 90mm TB will benefit all strokers to some extent, but it is well within (not over) the cost vs. HP "check tool"... lol
    If you have infinite money, then by all means :)

12. LegMaker

trust me jon, if i had a n/a stroker, i would be running a 90mm without a doubt. with f/i, just do not see the need for it, especially after seeing others in the past upgrade the tb only to see no real quantifiable gains from it with f/i, especially centri set ups. i have seen with the kb blowers pretty decent gains by upsizing the tb, but that is another animal all together.

13. TNCHARGER

TNCHARGER Moderator

Good info Chris....I was lookin for someone that had only did a PP intake between dyno and/or track..

14. LegMaker

no problem larry. i should be clear as well, mine is more than just extrude honed. there was a fair amount of hand & cnc work done to it as well in the runners, opening, and inside the plenum. not as crazy as some i have seen that get welded, and reshaped, but lots of work all the same. i would tend to think an intake that has only been extrude honed may not make the same power, but that is just speculation on my part. either way, if you are doing something with a str8 again, if you stay n/a you will also want to look into a larger tb, good cai (i might know someone who can help you!), etc. not so sure on the long tubes because i know for certain the stock srt shorty headers flow VERY well.........

15. Dookie

Dookie Foe twenny sics

That's exactly the place it belongs, on a high HP F/I car.... N/A 6.1 , or even a 426 if you do the math stock 80mm flows fine @ 850CFM.
    CFM x .069 = estimated lbs./min
    lbs./min x 10 = estimated HP

850 CFM x .069 = 58.65
    58.65 lbs./min x 10 = 586.5 estimated HP
    586.5 - 70 hp drive train loss = 516.5 RWHP

If you're going well beyond 500 with a F/I car, you will benefit from the efficiency from a larger TB. The big HP F/I cars run 100mm+ TB.

Last edited: May 16, 2011
  16. Quick

Quick Mgmt. - I can't help you

Ummm... I'm thinking about this.

F/I doesn't flow any more past the TB. It's just that what's flowing past the TB is denser. Volume per min is the same? Since that volume is denser with F/I then the lbs./min would be greater but the volume flowing through the TB would be the same (pretty much -- there might be a little bit more since it's forced instead of a vacuum).

The air is compressed before it gets to the TB. With N/A and the engine operating at a vacuum in the intake manifold then restriction at the TB would be more significant. With F/I the blower can make up for that. As long as the blower is not operating at 100% I would not expect a larger TB to make a significant/large difference.

Let's say you want 8lbs boost in the manifold. If you're only getting 7lbs then it's *possible* you might get a small improvement with a larger TB, but wouldn't a slightly different pulley or adjust the waste gate be the solution?

End result would be: If the TB is adequate for N/A then it will also be ok for F/I?

I have no idea if any of that is correct, but that's my guess.

Last edited: May 16, 2011
  17. Dookie

Dookie Foe twenny sics

I think you're right, if it's good for X amount of HP N/A, then yea, it should also be good for F/I. The amount of flow required to run a much higher X hp number with F/I compared to what you are running N/A is what i'm saying you will need a larger TB, or it will choke it.
    Say right now i'm about 500 RWHP and want to add a 3.6L KB at 8-10 PSI...I stand to gain substantial power, probably 150-200 hp gain. I would think a larger opening be needed to support it.

I don't know anything either Dave, i'm just using logic along with the little knowledge I do have, and that's a dangerous recipe. :bigwink:

18. Quick

Quick Mgmt. - I can't help you

What I'm thinking is if the TB is sufficient for your N/A engine of some cubic inch displacement then it's going to be sufficient for that same cubic inch displacement F/I. Doesn't matter how much HP you're adding with the blower. The flow is basically the same. It's just more dense (more lbs of air). Sure, denser air will not flow as easily, but I don't think it's close to being linear compared to the added O2 your getting by compressing it.

Just compressing the air at the blower could give you the added 150-200 hp without changing the flow characteristics after the blower much at all. That's what I'm thinking.

19. LegMaker

thank you dave......... you covered my thoughts exactly.........

wow..............you and i agree!! lol

20. Dookie

Dookie Foe twenny sics

I guess you have to account for velocity also, when compressed wouldn't it increase velocity, increasing friction, causing higher IAT's?
    Where's Cam when you need him?

Logic tells me it's easier/more efficient to push a given volume of air at a given pressure through a larger orifice. Seems right.