Pro Torque vs. Precision Industries vs. PPP Torque Converters

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by HEMISFEAR, Jan 10, 2008.

1. HEMISFEAR

HEMISFEAR Ur Friendly Canadian

Knowing that not many people have tried more than just one converter, I'm asking (to those who are running TC's) why you chose to go with the torque converter you did over the other available options?

Since I'm in the market for one, I decided to look around and people are generally happy with this modification especially when considering the bang for the buck characteristics, enhanced driveability, and performance worthiness at the track. I have one in mind in terms of quality and daily driveability although you can't go wrong with any of these I know....so why did you choose yours?

Price? Brand loyalty, good reference to it, first hand or second hand experiences, durability, actual construction, nothing else available lol?

2. SRT8bby

SRT8bby Full Access Member

Pro Torque - IMO - but you knew that already. LOL

3. HEMISFEAR

Ya, but I forgot why you chose that over the Precision Industries? I know it was on sale at the time and you've also heard about their good qualities...but was there anything that led you away from the PI besides price and rep? Anything negative?

4. SRT8bby

Not really. My installer said the PT is the one to go with over the PI - so that's what I did.

5. 1fastsedan

1fastsedan Destroyer of Warranties

You should PM Cam he's had at least 2 TC's. He loves to rant about the poor quality of the first one. :poop: I just don't remember who made it.

6. HEMISFEAR

Thanks bro. PM sent. Should probably try LXF as well. Haven't seen him around in a bit.

7. Cam

Cam Management up n smoke

My first converter was a APS. What a complete POS. It worked after lock up, but the around town manners would make you crazy. I know a couple guys with the Presiz unit and they are very happy. But I have nothing but good to say about the Protorque. Here are some hard facts between the APS and PT units.

http://www.lxforums.com/board/showthread.php?t=72212

8. JMatt

JMatt Platinum Supporting Member

I had to read your post three times to realize you had "nothing BUT good to say about the protorque."

I kept thinking "everyone else seems to like the Protorque, I wonder what problem Cam had....."

9. HEMISFEAR

I am definitely thinking Pro Torque as well. I did hear that Precision's Viper TC has all new internals and is not a refabbed core but is also more pricey. Now to think about a 2600 or a 2800.

10. Ozzie

Ozzie New Member

And I had similar problems to Cam's APS with the first ProTorque I had installed. The replacement ProTorque has been great. No problems at all. Consensus seems to be that it is important to run them in gently for a few hundred miles before "gettin' on the pedal". The ProTorque was part of the Stage II package from HHP. I did not select the brand specifically.

11. SRT8bby

Go with 2800. A lot of folks are finding that isn't even enough, but personally thats what I would stick with for Daily driving. 2600 didn't make much sense to me. I was told by a SRT tech that stock is right around 2100-2200 or so.

12. sgtstanko

sgtstanko Want to go FASTER!!!

I had the APS in my Jeep......I agree with Cam.......POS!!!!

13. PPPAndy

PPPAndy New Member

If it was between the pro-tq and the PI, it is a no brainer for me. The PI has tons more work applied to it. They are all great converters, but there is only one converter to ever pull off a 1.5X 60ft time.

14. 8yourM5

8yourM5 Full Access Member

^ yea the one I ordered andy when is that thing shipping?

15. Quick

Quick Mgmt. - I can't help you

I read all that. So, what's the rest of the story? Where it ended it sounded like Wayne was going to adjust it for your application and you were going to try it and compare it. Then what happened?

16. Cam

Cam Management up n smoke

Ya well I bought that POS from you guys.................muther fricking $700 paper weight. :deshade:

That's right were it ended. Wayne never took me up on my offer and from what I understand, they had a string of converter failures. So I think they just kinda bailed from the limelight in forum land.

Hell, had he taken it back and repaired it. I would have gladly installed it and ran it again for additional testing. But what ever. :novote:

17. PPPAndy

PPPAndy New Member

Must have been before me, we havent ever sold an aps converter since I have been here, I guess I know why now. lol.

18. HEMISFEAR

This is from the Precision Industries Website:

ARE ALL TORQUE CONVERTERS CREATED EQUAL?

In the world of aftermarket torque converters everyone and every torque converter company have their opinions of whose product is worth the money and whose isn't. The following pictures and information will try to help you, the customer, decide which is best for you. The following pictures are of actual torque converter parts sold to customers by our competitors. These pictures are of torque converters produced by the so called big name torque converter companies and are not fake. No competitors names will be revealed.

WHICH TORQUE CONVERTER COVER WOULD YOU PREFER?

Competitor

Uses 4 cylinder front cover with
    welded ring causing warpage,
    balance problems and fatigue cracking.

[​IMG]

Precision Industries
    One piece billet cover assures truer balance, perpendicularity and concentricity.

[​IMG]

19. HEMISFEAR

This is an interesting blurb about TC's from their site as well....

THE TRUTH ABOUT TORQUE CONVERTER PRICES

When talking about high Tperformance street car torque converters a subject that is talked about a lot is price. The people who like low prices make statements like “You get a lot of bang for the buck”. The people who will pay more make statements like “You only get what you pay for”. Well I think both people are correct to some degree. The low priced person might not like the sound or the feel of the “bang” when he gets it and the higher price payer might not know if he is getting what he paid for. The “Johnny come lately” high performance street torque converter companies are all trying to get in this market. They look at our products that our customers are buying and want a piece of the so-called “gravy” as they see it. Some of these companies manufacture their own torque converters and some have a stock torque converter rebuilder build their product. These last vendors and their rebuilding companies know nothing about race torque converters or high performance street torque converters and must be thinking there is a “sucker born every minute”. If you investigate their product line you will find that most of their line is regutted stock torque converters! They jump in talking BS and throwing around low prices making statements like “just as good as” or “our quality is second to none” all things they cannot backup. The other amazing part is most of the companies coming from the racing industry side of torque converter building have spent 10, 20 or even 30 years and still do not have a majority share of their own market. Now they are coming to the high performance street converter side of the business to jump in and try to grab market share with a product of less quality and performance. Some of these newcomers will disappear quickly and some will hang on like a bad cold but in the end if any of these newbies are going to survive on this side of the business they will have to invest in quality, research and development. Some of the new comers are buying our products and trying to copy the technology but without R&D and knowing the engineering dynamics of torque converter technology they are doomed to always being 2-3 steps behind. You cannot use existing OEM parts such as stock covers, clutches, lining, hubs, etc. and get a quality part that will operate correctly and dependably in a high performance street torque converter. Our competitors use these types of parts and are charging $500-$700 (more for a higher stall) for a mostly stock 4 or 6 cylinder torque converter. There is no possible way this product is worth any more than $250-$300. I hear and read comments of how Precision Industries torque converters are over priced and Joe Blows torque converter is just as good. These people know about as much about high performance street torque converters as the young man flipping hamburgers at McDonalds. Don’t feel bad most people that build torque converters for a living don’t know any more about torque converters than the people making the above statements. The only way the buying public learns about high performance street torque converters is by what is said by some self proclaimed expert or written in the forums on the Internet. This education is like asking a person filing for bankruptcy how to get rich. If you want to know the real facts about torque converters then call the people that manufacture them and don’t depend on someone who thinks he knows torque converters because he bought one for his or her car.
    To prove my point I made earlier let us dissect the price of a Precision Industries LS1 single plate torque converter and see who is paying too much, Mr. Low or Mr. High. A Precision Industries high performance street torque converter sells on average from $699-$750 through most of our dealer network. Precision Industries uses a billet cover, which we manufacture from scratch (most of our competitors do not have this capability) for a cost of around $200. I know the no experienced experts are going to say “no way” does it cost that much but it does. This is why our competitors do not want to use them. They all say, “It is to much money”. Now let us just remove the cost of this one item and look at what the price of a Precision Industries LS1 high performance street torque converter would sell for. We will have to add the cost of a welded up stock cover because these do cost money to make. I estimated the cost to be $29-$33 for Precision Industries to make one like those used by most lower priced companies. Lets subtract $200 (billet cover) from $750 (dealer selling price), and then add $33 (competitors front cover). This would make our Precision Industries LS1 high performance street torque converter sell for $583. This is about the price of our low priced competitors. But remember, our Precision Industries LS1 high performance street torque converter still has the 1. Special lockup clutch 2. Special clutch lining 3. Special turbine hub 4. Special braced turbine 5. Special impeller hub mount not counting other differences. I ask you in all honesty “WHO IS PAYING TO MUCH NOW?”

Last edited: Jan 11, 2008
  20. NetNathan

NetNathan Not the Momma

Jeeeees Milan.... after starting to read your short story (i mean post)....It will take about 3 hours for us to soak this in and reply......lol