Sensors for gauges..

Discussion in 'The SRTConnection Lounge' started by TNCHARGER, Jun 10, 2011.

1. TNCHARGER

TNCHARGER Moderator

What exactly do I need to connect a AEM fuel pressue gauge sensor to the fuel rail??.........any experience installing a trans temp sensor??...

2. Quick

Quick Mgmt. - I can't help you

You got a trans temp sensor. Just get a scan gauge that reads it. Get a DashDAQ and you won't need that 3 hole pod either.

3. TNCHARGER

TNCHARGER Moderator

I dont want the DashDAQ...guess I may be getting old but I like gauges.:pirate:....just seems to be impossible to find out how to hook them up....

4. Quick

So... there's got to be somebody making a gauge that takes an OBDII input to drive an analog display gauge :)
    Otherwise I think you're going to be drilling your trans pan.

5. Quick

Lol, maybe you could put the pods in and only run power to light them. Then put this down in front of your dash cluster on top of the steering column.

[​IMG]

6. TNCHARGER

TNCHARGER Moderator

I may abandon the trans gauge and go with a 2nd A/F for the right bank.....I had that setup on my former SRT10....the A/F gauges have alerted me to more problems than any gauge I have...

7. Quick

I'd agree with that. I don't think you really need the trans gauge unless you're going road racing or you want to check the trans fluid level.

8. NetNathan

NetNathan Not the Momma

Have you seen an advantage to running a pair of AFR gauges?

I am curious about this....since I am on the verge of also getting an AFR gauge. ...probably a DashDaq System.
    Seems running 2 AFR sensors would let you compare both banks (sides) of the engine. This way you could be made aware of any potential problems with AFR from all cylinders. Like a bad valve or injector?

Sent from NS1Droid using Tapatalk Pro.

9. King Savage

King Savage Nasty Canasta

I am going to watch an exhaust gas temp gauge of some sort once I get my car back. We use them at work on large CAT engines and they tell me more about the engine than a lot of other sensors. I will probably get as close to cyl #1 as possible...

Larry, I installed an inline trans temp gauge a coupke of years ago...it's just a block with a thermocouple hole tapped in it. You then run the wire to whatever gauge you buy. I found an awesome thread where someone took good pics...helped me locate the correct tranny line to cut and splice in to.

10. StevoSRT

StevoSRT Moderator

I agree the trans temp was cake to install (probably not as easy as plugging into the OBDII) but you just tap into the Trans Coolant Out line, put the temp sensor there and then run the wire.

11. TNCHARGER

TNCHARGER Moderator

Having 2 sensors will do just what you said..compare both sides for potential problems.......some may consider 2 A/F overkill but I did discover a problem with the MAP sensor I may not have noticed w/o the 2 guages. I had one side that would go off the chart lean while the other bank was normal.

Thanks Jon...I went with a trans gauge after learning how hot the trans fluid would get with a high stall conv on a Vette. I have not noticed much said about trans heat around the LX forums but I havent been that active in the last 3 yrs......a 3000 stall in the Vette raised trans temp 30+ degrees w/o a add on trans cooler.

That tells me what I needed to know..Thanks Steve!