So...I got pulled over...argh

Discussion in 'The SRTConnection Lounge' started by SRT8U, Nov 12, 2007.

1. SRT8U

SRT8U Supporting Vendor

Well it happened...
    Lisa and I were driving home tonight in the SRT.
    We were coming up to an intersection and I was driving withing the normal flow of traffic for the area. As we close in on the intersection the light goes yellow. I was very close to the intersection so rather than attempt to come to a screeching halt I accelerate through the intersection...I never even saw the light turn red, it was yellow the whole time. As soon as we hit the intersection Lisa says there was a cop sitting back at the light. I was already slowing down as to not be too far over the posted speed limit. Then I see the blue and red lights in teh rear view. At first I thought maybe he was going on a call. I didnt actually run a red light I went through a yellow one. Nope he came up behind me and I pulled over. He asked if I knew why I was pulled over and I said no. He explained that he "heard me" gun my motor and run through a red light. While I did acclerate to get through the intersection, I did not run a red light as I was crossing under the light it was still yellow. I guess because my car is loud that means I was wrong. He took my lic and reg, and came back w a nice $188.00 ticket for running a red light/aggressive driving. I asked him what I was supposed to do when I was nearly at the intersection when it went yellow and couldnt stop safely. He kind of agreed with me but said that he would rather argue about the ticket than respond to me getting t boned in the intersection. I understand that if you do something wrong you have to pay the consequences. but I honestly did not run a red light and If my car was not loud albeit streetlegal in every way I know I would not have gotten a ticket. Just wanted to share..I would rather get a ticket for going 20 over becasue I know I actually did somethig wrong compared to this ...oh well. I guess there wasnt much else to do in West Palm tonight, over 100 murders last year and on pace for more than that this year and I guess going through a yellow light is more impt.

So on the bright side...if you want an attention getting exhaust get your self a Bassani Cat Back from BMC Performance lol!

2. Zack

Zack Stock n' Slow

Dang that sucks man. I understand they have a job to do, but at times the reasons for tickets is a bunch of B.S.,! I recently got a ticket for having my foglights on. The only option I had was to take it to court. It was a waste of time.

3. Vadersrt4

Vadersrt4 Screwed @ Birth

Take it to court. I used to use a lawyer down there in Wpb who got me out of all my tickets for like 76 bucks. His name is Carmen Leon.

Murder rates in Palm Beach County lol gotta thank them Tamarind ave and Riviera Beach people for the majority of that. Did you catch that Gangstas N Thugs video?

4. TNCHARGER

TNCHARGER Moderator

Kris you need to go to court...dont know how the courts operate where you live but around here the judge would, based on your story, dismiss the charges after 6 months if you were not cited for any other traffic violations........I was a LEO 20 yrs ago and I remember one thing the instructor said at the academy...never charge someone unless you are POSITIVE they violated the law.....he said if you just "thought" they ran the light that was not good enough....I would say in this case the officer "thought" you ran the light....and "thought" is not good enough..

5. SRT8U

SRT8U Supporting Vendor

Basically...he was sitting in the turn lane, and I was in the lane next to him going straight and I accelerated to make sure I didnt hit the red, and he heard my car looked up and saw a red light and assumed I ran it...but Lisa and I both saw it was still yellow when we were going under it.

6. TNCHARGER

TNCHARGER Moderator

Either one of 2 things happened...he is either a rookie and full of "piss & vinergar" as we used to say about the new officers that wrote tickets faster than the trees could grow or he based his call on what he "thought" or believed he saw...you dont need a lawyer......well, I am doing what pisses me off around these forums...people giving legal advice over the internet...

If that had happened here I would go to court and based on my experience it would be dismissed based on the conditions I mentioned in my former post....I would not need an attorney for this...my brother is a criminal attorney and he gives the same advice to anyone that calls him about traffic violations..but that is "around" here...I dont know how things work where you live..nor does anyone else on this forum.....and a local attorney would be an idiot to give advice here...

7. Vadersrt4

Only reason i mentioned the attorney was so that you didnt have waste time out of your day to go contest a BS ticket that from what you state you shouldnt have gotten. To me $76.00 is a small price to pay for not wasting my time in a court room but thats just my opinion...

8. TNCHARGER

TNCHARGER Moderator

Not disagreeing with you about an attorney....just saying it depends on what state and locallity....you just dont hire an attorney around here for a minor traffic violation....not true everywhere..

9. Vadersrt4

yeah down here they have traffic court lawyers on every corner to take care of of all your traffic citation needs usually for around 76 bucks. The lawyer i mentioned i met when i went to court to contest a ticket. i decided he was gonna take care of my tickets when he walked in and proceed to high five the 20 or so cops waiting to take care of the tickets they issued. I actually got pulled over for speeding once and the cop asked me if i had been to driving school i said yes and that i was over my limit for able to go on my own free will but i told him it was ok that i would give it to my lawyer. he asks me whos my lawyer and i tell him. he busts out laughing and says "dont worry about it he wil get you out of it"

10. TNCHARGER

TNCHARGER Moderator

Completely different here....no respectible lawyer would take a minor traffic offense...he/she would be laughed at by his peers...and the judge would look at it as a fee grabbing by the attorney..minor traffic offenses are considered violations and most people that go to court will get any charges dismissed...almost always with the 6 month probation period..

11. 8yourM5

8yourM5 Full Access Member

hell I paid mine a 100 to make the a red flag ticket go Poof

12. The "Reverend" CoolFlo

The "Reverend" CoolFlo 300C - C = Classy!!

just 100 murders??? Philly beat last years record in JULY this year .. Philly has the most murders then any other city ....

As for the ticket ... i hear you .. that is why I don't gun the car through lights .. I coast or sometimes am light on the brakes .. they see that you say I wouldnt stop completely safely so I safely ran the fuck outta it.

13. TNCHARGER

TNCHARGER Moderator

We now have traffic light cameras all over the city...lot of people complain but in Kris' case a camera would have been his witness...

14. The "Reverend" CoolFlo

yeah they are putting them up all over Philly now too ...

they make this clear spray that you can put on your license plate .. you cant see it up close but if those camera takes a picture of your plate .. the flash reflects off the plate so they cant see the numbers .. its kinda illegal

15. TNCHARGER

TNCHARGER Moderator

I read a story on that stuff somewhere..they did a test on it and said it only worked under certain light conditions...best I remember it rarely hid the plate....best way to avoid a ticket is dont run lights...If you are in the intersection when the light turns red, like Kris was, the camera is your friend..

16. The "Reverend" CoolFlo

true true .. im just saying

17. SRT8U

SRT8U Supporting Vendor

100 murders but keep in mind the population is only 50,000 people not a million. Per Capita we beat almost anyone lol! I think West Palm was the 5th most dangerous city in the country last year w a population under 100k. Pretty sad...and people outside the area would never expect it since this is such a tourist area.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2007
  18. Stretch

Stretch Silver Supporting Members

Plus there's always that chance he won't show up for court and you can beat it.

19. Quick

Quick Mgmt. - I can't help you

Points, points, it's the points that matter... a lot. If you have a school option for no points take it. If not, you can't end up with more points by going to court. If you really piss off the judge and they throw the book at you it's maximum fine, not points. If the judge gives you a partial break they often decrease the fine a bit and sometimes drop the points. If a traffic lawyer has a track record and costs a few hundred or more or less, do that maybe but take whatever shot you have for no points.

20. Stretch

Stretch Silver Supporting Members

Yep.... don't want to be upping the $$$ on the insurance bill!