SRT8's make safer drivers?

Discussion in 'The SRTConnection Lounge' started by Raland, Nov 8, 2007.

1. Raland

Raland Full Access Member

Needed something good for my first post so here goes. Maybe we can make this a poll?

I guess the premise of this is "with great power comes great responsibility".

Driving my Charger is a lot different than driving my 14.8x Impala. I can't just stomp the pedal to the floor anytime I want anymore. Sub 5 second 0-60's, and I'm sure all of us are familar with how our cars like to downshift and fire off when trying to use part throttle at 30-40 mph. You have to "drive" SRT's, you can't just flip the brain on automatic and be composing email on your blackberry.

My argument would seem to be supported by the fact I've been on the OC since I got my car in Sept and there has only been one member in an accident and that was from someone running a red light and hitting them.

Thoughts, comments? Death threats? :welcome:

2. GooberMT

GooberMT They See Me Rollin

They make safer drivers than a neon, but us neon folk have the indestructible spoiler!

3. MotherMopar

MotherMopar The One, The Only... MOMO

Interesting premise.

What I'd say is that it has more to do with demographics. Most SRT8 owners are over 30 years old; whereby most persons have matured and are more responsible... thus we're less likely to do stupid sht... at the very least, us 30+ year olds, tend to mitigate our stupidity by doing it (racing, for example) on less travelled roads.

Another factor is the car. It brakes better (with stock pads) and handles better than most other vehicles.

4. ChargerGirl

ChargerGirl Mama / DB Geek / Driver

Some good points, Ralph. I try to use the brakes and gas sparingly in day to day traffic for just those reasons. First, this thing does have ungodly accelleration, second, its a two ton brick that while it may stop pretty good, I don't want to test that to its limits. Last, there are SO many mediocre cars out there, that while I know what my car can and cannot do, I KNOW that the other drivers don't (usually assume I'm slower or something dumb like that), so I tend to be more conservative.

Last, I'm very glad that I've gotten into road course driving, because I have learned a lot about how to drive in general and especially in this car. If I'm fortunate enough to have kids that I have to teach how to drive eventually, I'll definitely be including some road course driving as part of their education, its just not the same as being out on the street with all the other morons. :)

5. TNCHARGER

TNCHARGER Moderator

The road usually just clears out in front of me...:tooth:

[​IMG]

6. Stretch

Stretch Silver Supporting Members

...and for some of us... you can add another number to the first number huh Momo! Good point though. The cars help with the control but any idiot can still lose control of a 400 plus hp machine.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2007
  7. MotherMopar

Larry, that picture is still THE BOMB!

8. Stretch

Especially when he has his shotgun hanging out the window and the bumper sticker that states "Pass with care... driver chewing tobacco"!

9. Stretch

Just courious Larry.... when you strap the deers on the hood... does that impact the air intake?

10. diegochrysler

diegochrysler Jose"GR8CHORIZO"Jalapeno

Larry that is SWEET! Drew left out the gun rack in the rear window and the chrome girly mud flaps.

11. diegochrysler

diegochrysler Jose"GR8CHORIZO"Jalapeno

I agree with this until you allow my Tijuana, MX raised wife and her driving skills behind the steering wheel of my baby. Then all the chit hits the fan and you better wear your track helmets if your driving in SO CAL. In her view street lights, turn signals, stop signs, speed limits and waving with all your fingers is optional.

12. MotherMopar

Larry, I heard "Real Tree" is coming out with an exterior vinyl application for the SRT10!

13. Stretch

I'll leave that one alone... she might beat me up!

14. TNCHARGER

TNCHARGER Moderator

Mine came with the optional game rack on the back...:tooth:

[​IMG]

15. Stretch

Nice.... you'll have to let Momo ride there when he comes down for the local yearly man whore get together there. BTW... can you teach him how to get paid instead of having to pay for it! :moon:

16. StevoSRT

StevoSRT Moderator

I agree on most of this jason (even though im 23..im wise beyond my years :smart: hahaha)...I also think that (and sorry if i am restating something) people who drive SRT's are more knowledgable about the cars they buy...

what i mean by that is any rich person can go out and buy a lambo or a ferrari just cause of the name and cant always handle the cars...but those of us who buy SRT's are more "car people" and understand where limits are...for the most part...most people dont even know what SRT is...

also, our cars are expensive enough to where most of us wont want to beat on it and treat it like a $3,000 civic haha...I know I treat this car much differently than I did the mustang...

this is all on top of the fact that SRT owners are just CLEARLY better drivers :thumb2: hahaha

17. Raland

LMAO.... go for the autumn brown, it blends better with urban grafitti'd brick walls. :worthy:

18. Raland

I think this is the perfect decription of the difference between SRT owns and Corvette (Z06) owners. Mind you I'm not toss'n a big blanket statement over all vette people :chair: but it's clear a lot of the owners have them because their "peer group" are all in upper management and drive $80K cars to haul their golf clubs around.

19. MotherMopar

WTF? I was eating dried soup 3xs a day when I was 23... and you're rollin' in style?!?! Dayum!

20. StevoSRT

StevoSRT Moderator

haha...dont worry...i paid for it by not having any fun in college and working my assssssssssssss off for my job haha