What do you think about Laser Jammers??

Discussion in 'The SRTConnection Lounge' started by The_Main_Event, Dec 3, 2007.

1. The_Main_Event

The_Main_Event Creme de la Creme

I am looking to purchase one but I do not know which one to buy. Does anyone know a good one? Do they really work? I am trying to get more info on them. If you know of a place in south Florida that sells them let me know. :laser:

2. markus

markus Silver Supporting Members

do you get hit alot with lasers? the only time ive ever been lasered is driving past newark airport and i think thats just coming from the planes.

3. markus

markus Silver Supporting Members

i read a good article a couple of years back in some motorcycle magazing about jammers and also laser something that either deflected or absorbed lasers. they did a few tests and the products they tested worked rather well. one of the detectors picked up the radar from like 3 miles away. wish i could recall what products they were

4. The_Main_Event

The_Main_Event Creme de la Creme

5. Goats

Goats God of skittles

there are jammers that work i tested one with a cop buddy that had a laser gun i dont remember the name

6. kingnate

kingnate Full Access Member

There are a few ways to defeat lidar.

Deflect, diffuse, absorb or disrupt.

Now the first 3 are pretty straight forward. The third one is kid of difficult.

A laser beam is coherent light, in the case of lidar it is about a 1ft spot size on the vehicle at approximately 1400ft. Now most lidar operates at about 808 nm iirc. A beam is emitted and the change is measured from the reflection. It seems like they are going to use high powered LED's of the same wavelength. Here is the problem you are not going to get enough energy out to even slightly disrupt the laser beam. Mostly because it is not coherent light and the beam is so diffused that after a few hundred feet that the energy of that light is minuscule at best.

Ever notice how whenever a company is trying to sell a laser jammer they always use cars with the smallest front cross sectional area possible?